U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM

420 posts, read 814,786 times

Advertisements

I’m debating with the idea of moving out of Manhattan for financial reasons (also due to the fact that many “affordable” areas in Manhattan can be loud or may not be that safe after dark)

I'm currently living in Inwood near Broadway and after living in Phelam Westchester, Forest Hills and Astoria in Queens I’ve discovered some of my most important criteria’s for a neighborhood are that it’s relatively clean, safe, and quiet. I've been looking at the neighboring areas south and north of my place (Hudson Heights and Riverdale) due to having most of the traits I'm seeking. Riverdale has the advantage of having the Metro North station to avoid the 1 train I was able to handle commuting via an express F or E to Forest Hills to the Garment District for a year but commuting there on the 1 train wouldn’t be worth it.)

It may seem strange for a young person to do but I’ve been remising about Forest Hills since, looking back, it was a neighborhood in the city that that was the best fit for me. Living in Inwood has made me love being walking distance from sweeping Hudson River views and “natural ”parks”. My budget unfortunately is quite tight- $1000 and under.

Any thoughts on Riverdale or other quasi suburban areas of NYC? I’m not opposed to renting up in Westchester either, which seems equally strange for a unmarried young person to move to the burbs with no kids but Riverdale is practically Westchester. So why not look beyond the city limits also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 22,122,031 times
Riverdale is one the better neighborhoods in the city. What more can you say? Your budget is very tight though. I think riverdale without roommates or some kind of hook-up is going to be very difficult for you. I'm frankly surprised you were able to stay in Manhattan at that budget.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM

420 posts, read 814,786 times
/\ I'm a bit suprised also but have to give myself credit.

Craigslist browsing for weeks for a suitable room before hand and being extremely thrify helped. I've decided it may not be worth it though considering the noise level on the weekends is a bit much for me since I'm used to quiter areas of the city. My fault since I should have done better due diligence with the immediate surronding streets but at my price level it's always something (and sometimes above), especially if "must" live in Manhattan.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,338,550 times
You may find something in Riverdale, but there's not a huge selection sub-$1k. However, you can find studios under $1k. Some are in co-ops that have friendly rental policies, and others will be in divided townhouses or two-family houses. I would peruse the listings and see if you can find a rental that would work for your needs.

Westchester could work, too, but some areas require a car, which you don't mention in your OP if you have or plan to get a car. Tarrytown and White Plains might work without a car, as would some parts of Yonkers, closer to Bronxville (away from the SW areas of Yonkers that are not as nice).

Other areas in The Bronx to consider would be Woodlawn and Pelham Parkway, though in PP you would be reliant on the subway or express bus, whereas Woodlawn has Metro-North.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM

560 posts, read 784,235 times
Bedford-Mosholu has rents in that price range and you can take metro-north downtown from botanical gardens station. 20 min to GCT. Neighborhood is not suburban as riverdale but clean and lots of parkland.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,959,828 times
Unless you're interested in less desirable parts of Riverdale (near Broadway) it will be difficult to find apartments under $1,000 unless you look at studios and even that will be tough, as most studios from what I've heard are starting at 1,050 and up depending on the location and amenities. You can get more in Westchester, but if you are truly set on Riverdale, I would select some areas that you like and research for deals. With the recession there have been some deals but it seems as if things are picking up here again. There are not many rentals here and as a result that also drives up the prices, so with the abundance of co-ops on the market, you may want to look into renting one of those.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,077,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I’m debating with the idea of moving out of Manhattan for financial reasons (also due to the fact that many “affordable” areas in Manhattan can be loud or may not be that safe after dark)

I'm currently living in Inwood near Broadway and after living in Phelam Westchester, Forest Hills and Astoria in Queens I’ve discovered some of my most important criteria’s for a neighborhood are that it’s relatively clean, safe, and quiet. I've been looking at the neighboring areas south and north of my place (Hudson Heights and Riverdale) due to having most of the traits I'm seeking. Riverdale has the advantage of having the Metro North station to avoid the 1 train I was able to handle commuting via an express F or E to Forest Hills to the Garment District for a year but commuting there on the 1 train wouldn’t be worth it.)

It may seem strange for a young person to do but I’ve been remising about Forest Hills since, looking back, it was a neighborhood in the city that that was the best fit for me. Living in Inwood has made me love being walking distance from sweeping Hudson River views and “natural ”parks”. My budget unfortunately is quite tight- $1000 and under.

Any thoughts on Riverdale or other quasi suburban areas of NYC? I’m not opposed to renting up in Westchester either, which seems equally strange for a unmarried young person to move to the burbs with no kids but Riverdale is practically Westchester. So why not look beyond the city limits also?
As the other poster said try looking around broadway. Also the Riverdale Press has a huge Real Estate section. If you want to stay in the Bronx, Riverdale is #1 primo spot IMO. Take a look also at Netherland gardens and Riverdale park. Both are on Riverdale Ave between 254th and 259th st.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
As the other poster said try looking around broadway. Also the Riverdale Press has a huge Real Estate section. If you want to stay in the Bronx, Riverdale is #1 primo spot IMO. Take a look also at Netherland gardens and Riverdale park. Both are on Riverdale Ave between 254th and 259th st.
You make a good point that I will continue with... North Riverdale is more affordable in terms of rents. The drawback is that it isn't so easy to get around as it is in parts of Spuyten Duyvil or down by 235th which is more pedestrian friendly. North Riverdale is more like Woodlawn but has far fewer amenities than Woodlawn and is more isolated.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,077,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
You make a good point that I will continue with... North Riverdale is more affordable in terms of rents. The drawback is that it isn't so easy to get around as it is in parts of Spuyten Duyvil or down by 235th which is more pedestrian friendly. North Riverdale is more like Woodlawn but has far fewer amenities than Woodlawn and is more isolated.
Well a few amenities. You have 2 gyms, Riverdale Y and Skyview. 4 bars Greentree, Steakhouse,Jays and Kelly Ryans. You have the shopping plaza which has supermarket, DD, Bank, Bakery, and a wine store which is expensive. You can use the shuttle bus to go to Riverdale Train station. I agree being on Johnson does make life easier. But Johnson to North Riverdale is 5 minute car ride. Oh, I forgot Mr Viggs on Mosholu Ave.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Well a few amenities. You have 2 gyms, Riverdale Y and Skyview. 4 bars Greentree, Steakhouse,Jays and Kelly Ryans. You have the shopping plaza which has supermarket, DD, Bank, Bakery, and a wine store which is expensive. You can use the shuttle bus to go to Riverdale Train station. I agree being on Johnson does make life easier. But Johnson to North Riverdale is 5 minute car ride. Oh, I forgot Mr Viggs on Mosholu Ave.
This is true, but the deeper into Riverdale you go the more isolated it becomes with it becoming much more residential and spread out. The supermarket on Riverdale Avenue is very overpriced and leaves much to be desired in terms of choices. The Riverdale Y is also a pain to get to unless you have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City