Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM

7 posts, read 21,039 times

Advertisements

Some background info:
-18, female
-lived in NYC my whole life
-parents have gotten unreasonably controlling and increasingly unbearable to live with
-got into honors program at a college here so if I choose to go there I don't have to pay for tuition. And I get a free laptop.

My options:
-best friend said I could stay with her+her parents but I'm pretty sure her parents don't like me and mooching off them is not something I find particularly appealing
-dorm at college in NYC for 11k/2 terms but I don't know if I can get enough student loans for it and I don't want to ask my parents for money. (so far I know I can get 5.5k in fed loans)
-go to a college out on Long Island I've also been offered part scholarship to and pay 8k/2 terms. Same issue with student loans & don't think I can get a job out there
-move out and room. I really want to stay in manhattan and so far I'm looking at 800/mo in wash hts/inwood on Craigslist.

Financial situation
-I have no savings and no job exp. I could try asking my parents for a few to set me off but I don't like it
-I could ask a relative who works in a more "upscale" Chinese restaurant to get me a waitress job and hope I get tipped well
-looking on Craigslist and not sure what to look for. The posts I see on CL that don't require exp seem to be for either security guard or nightclub positions

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
As a younger person who has my fair share of loans my advice is this: deal with living at home. Suffer through it. If it is truly an abusive situation (physical, mental) then seek a different route. If its just that you guys don't see eye to eye anymore, deal with it. You have a unique opportunity to go to school for free which will put you so far ahead upon graduation in terms of financial success. Don't forget that you will meet people in college- who knows, you may be able to crash with a friend a few nights per week. Or in the dorms with friends. I honestly would suffer through it for a year, do as well as I could grade wise and then apply for scholarships to cover room and board. My little brother got a full scholarship to art school that covered tuition, but not room and board. Our situation was a little different, but basically what he did was write a letter to the school (after his first year) stating that he felt like he needed to live independently in order to continue to grow and learn as an adult. They ended up giving him a large housing scholarship (I think he ended up paying ~2k a semester, which he was able to get federal loans for).

Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 PM

678 posts, read 697,787 times
ok i have a question for you nahema im trying to move to nyc right now you've been there your whole life. how is it down there is it that bad??? I'm constantly hearing how rough it is please give me some hope i want to go somewhere where its big like nyc

Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Brooklyn has given you the exact advice I would have - only Brooklyn is much younger.

Sometimes it's really wise to just suck it up so long as you aren't being abused. Dealing with constraints and rules/regulations you think you've outgrown/don't need is worth it in order to begin life without the unnecessary worries over rent plus utilities and food and clothing and transportation costs.

Spend your worries over your grades. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Also whether you stay or go you should seek a part time job. Many high school kids get after school/activities jobs to gain some experience. You have seemed to miss that boat but its not to late to know.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahema View Post
-I have no savings and no job exp.
Your done right there.
18---no money---no job experience---nothing huh?
Mommy and daddy annoying you huh?
Grow up and deal with it. Life is full of people that annoy you.
/endthread.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
First, get settled in whichever college or university program you choose - while remaining at home.
This is a transitional time for young people, a move from childhood to adulthood. You will meet people in school and find roommates and colleagues among them.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
i concur with brooklyn1234. Those few yrs in college will fly by fast. Suck it up. You don't want to spend 10+ yrs paying back a mountain of debts out of college.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM

48 posts, read 132,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Your done right there.
18---no money---no job experience---nothing huh?
Mommy and daddy annoying you huh?
Grow up and deal with it. Life is full of people that annoy you.
/endthread.

oh you poor thing.

I rather mommy and daddy give me rules than pay rent at 18.

a 18 year old should not be paying rent and electric and gas bills, they should be in school full time to make a better life for themselves.

WTF is wrong with kids these days.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 21,039 times
Thanks to those of you who've bothered to give me a decent answer.

Staggerlee and nastyboy, you are disgusting. Judging me when you don't know half of the story. Yes they have been physically abusive so you can shove your "look at this stupid brat" sneering up yours.

There comes a point and time where safety and independence is more important than being warm cozy and sheltered by mommy and daddy. I get that many people haven't had the f'ed up childhood that I have and don't understand. Maybe I can hear from someone who does.

Last edited by nahema; 03-27-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City