U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 29,414,304 times
Reputation: 7281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
The entire South East region of Queens besides perhaps a couple of sketchy blocks in South Jamaica is considered safe according to anybody standards and we make more money per household out here than our white counterparts in the borough. Have you ever lived out here or spend any significant time out here or are you just another idiot racist troll? Nobody considers neighborhoods like Cambria Heights, Rosedale, St Albans, Hollis, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, Brookville and Queens Village to be "dangerous" so quit it
I think the area of Merrick Blvd./Sayres Ave./Marne Pl. has lovely older homes. Particularly the tudors overlooking St. Albans Memorial Park. That area is a gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 6,037,118 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
From Jefferson to Wycoff is a huge part of Bushwick tright there, and by your admission it has changed.

I lived nearby in Bedstuy for a couple of years, and these days I notice many more white people getting off the L train deep into Brooklyn. I meet plenty of white artists, gays, students who live in both Bushwick and Bedstuy. Oh, and all those newspaper articles help popularize the neighborhood, help bring in real estate investment ,and yes, they do indeed cause the prices for real estate in the neighborhood to go up big time. Whatever percentage of the population is still on welfare is almost irrelevant, because as they move out the landlord can renovate the apartment and jack up the rent big time. I've seen this happen, where some buildings on a block still have a lot of poor people, while others have high rent paying customers.

I know that a lot of poorer people are upset that these transitions are taking place, but they are there big time and trying to deny it on City Data won't change ANYTHING at all.
Thank you for proving my point... Ladies and gentleman this troll post is exactly what I was speaking of... A man who has no idea of where the boundaries of the neighborhood lie nor that jefferson and wyckoff intersect eachother as opposed to running parallel along a significant stretch...

The area I am talking about which is the absolute border of East Williamsburg/Bushwick is roughly two avenues long and 6 or 7 blocks of the entire neighborhood... This is the only "significant" hipster area in the entire neighborhood of Bushwick... Does that mean the rest of the area has no hipster population? Of course not... There are a few brave souls scattered across Bushwick all around the train lines (JML)... What is the reality? Why don't you let someone who knows the area and actually speaks facts tell it for you...

Bushwick has been discussed to the point of exhaustion since 1995 in terms of hipsterfication/gentrification/etc. There were articles in the times in 98' that spoke of Ridgewood as the new destination for (they made it a focal point to state this) white Bushwick hipsters... There have been movies made about it, 5 or 6 shows that talk about and depict a side of Bushwick that is completely false (Girls and witches of Bushwick are two of the more glaring examples), and articles have grossly exaggerated the rental prices without any need for fact-checking...

The reality is that Bushwick proper and not East Williamsburg/Southside/Greenpoint labeled as Bushwick is still less expensive than all the working class Queens areas that surround it including Ridgewood/Glendale/Maspeth... A number of friends, colleagues and family of mine have moved to Bushwick from these areas for cheaper prices... Most of them pay anywhere from 1000-1300 for either a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom... Now this amount of rent is definitely significantly higher than what it was just five years now but it is still nowhere near the ridiculous rents these sites that are no better than the inquirer continue to state...

Additionally, after everything that has been said about this neighborhood which by now probably 30% of America assumes has become a carbon copy of Williamsburg, the reality is that the entire white population (and not all hipster/yuppy I might add) went from roughly 5-6% in 1995 to 10% in 2010... Accounting for the additional three years and spending most of my time in the neighborhood whether through preaching, work, visiting friends and family, or sifting through the online white pages for preaching territories within the neighborhood (I work in the church), I'd say the white population is probably somewhere around 12-13% of the pop. A good 5% of that white population is working class first or second generation Eastern European or beyond ghetto white american. About 5% of the area is Asian. A significant change but not all that relevant when you realize that about 3-4% of the 5% is just first or second generation poor working class chinese folk. What about the other 80-85%? The same as its been since the 70s for the area... More spanish folk have moved into the area in recent years to replace some of the black population but the area is still about 70% hispanic and 15-20% Black...

And for the record even the most popular spot of Bushwick which is along the jefferson and dekalb stop hasn't seen that much of a population shift...

Have a look for yourself... Scroll around and see what the buzz is all about...
Jefferson St. scene along the L line
Irving ave and Jefferson st Brooklyn NY - Google Maps

Dekalb ave scene along the L line
Wyckoff ave and Dekalb ave Brooklyn NY - Google Maps

Last edited by anon1; 04-03-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,856 posts, read 7,826,591 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Wait, now I have to deduct PJ's that have a majority of black residents out of the crime stats? Secondly, 120 is the worst one out of the 3. 122 and 123. 120 has the bulk of the black residents of Richmond County? Your own deduction said that the 120 is the busiest of the 3 on SI and also the most blacks?????
I'm saying that the crime rate isn't spread evenly throughout the precinct (and that applies to all precincts to certain extents). Within the precinct, you have housing projects that are mostly black, with a higher crime rate, and then more spread-out portions with townhouses and single-family homes that are also mostly black, but with a lower crime rate.

And for the 120th precinct, for starters, I'm saying it's not even close to being majority black. As of the 2010 census, it was 39.6% White, 22% Black, 28.5% Hispanic, 7.5% Asian, 2% Multiracial, 0.5% Other. You can't sit there and list it with precincts that are 80+% black. I also said that it's a relatively low crime precinct. So in other words, if you're going to sit there and make your argument based on precincts (which like I said is stupid, because most precincts aren't homogenous with respect to crime), then there's no point in listing the 120th precinct. Why? Just because it happens to include Stapleton (which is under 50% black nowadays anyway)?

Now, if you want to base your argument off precinct data with respect to the other 2 precincts on Staten Island, well, I'm going to tell you again that you're making the mistake of assuming that crime is spread evenly throughout the precinct (not to mention it has more Whites & Hispanics than Blacks and is still towards the lower end as far as citywide crime goes). It's concentrated into pockets with higher crime and lower crime. Do most of those high-crime pockets (on Staten Island) have a sizable Black population? Yeah (though most are a mixture of Blacks & Hispanics, with some Whites, so it's not all Black people committing the crimes). But does that mean every single area with a sizable Black population has high crime? Definitely not. There are a decent amount of areas with a large Black population that are safe, like the southern parts of Elm Park, Port Richmond, West Brighton, etc. (Even the Todt Hill Houses are safe). You act like every single black person on Staten Island lives in a crummy area like Stapleton.

So you've already been proven wrong multiple times about this nonsense that "No safe black neighborhoods exist". There's SE Queens (excluding South Jamaica), portions of the NE Bronx, parts of Brooklyn (Flatlands, parts of Canarsie, etc). Staten Island doesn't have any areas that are 80+% Black, but like I said, there are a decent amount of areas out here that have low crime and a sizable black presence. (Only reason there aren't more is because SI doesn't have a lot of Blacks to begin with).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 6,037,118 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'm saying that the crime rate isn't spread evenly throughout the precinct (and that applies to all precincts to certain extents). Within the precinct, you have housing projects that are mostly black, with a higher crime rate, and then more spread-out portions with townhouses and single-family homes that are also mostly black, but with a lower crime rate.

And for the 120th precinct, for starters, I'm saying it's not even close to being majority black. As of the 2010 census, it was 39.6% White, 22% Black, 28.5% Hispanic, 7.5% Asian, 2% Multiracial, 0.5% Other. You can't sit there and list it with precincts that are 80+% black. I also said that it's a relatively low crime precinct. So in other words, if you're going to sit there and make your argument based on precincts (which like I said is stupid, because most precincts aren't homogenous with respect to crime), then there's no point in listing the 120th precinct. Why? Just because it happens to include Stapleton (which is under 50% black nowadays anyway)?

Now, if you want to base your argument off precinct data with respect to the other 2 precincts on Staten Island, well, I'm going to tell you again that you're making the mistake of assuming that crime is spread evenly throughout the precinct (not to mention it has more Whites & Hispanics than Blacks and is still towards the lower end as far as citywide crime goes). It's concentrated into pockets with higher crime and lower crime. Do most of those high-crime pockets (on Staten Island) have a sizable Black population? Yeah (though most are a mixture of Blacks & Hispanics, with some Whites, so it's not all Black people committing the crimes). But does that mean every single area with a sizable Black population has high crime? Definitely not. There are a decent amount of areas with a large Black population that are safe, like the southern parts of Elm Park, Port Richmond, West Brighton, etc. (Even the Todt Hill Houses are safe). You act like every single black person on Staten Island lives in a crummy area like Stapleton.

So you've already been proven wrong multiple times about this nonsense that "No safe black neighborhoods exist". There's SE Queens (excluding South Jamaica), portions of the NE Bronx, parts of Brooklyn (Flatlands, parts of Canarsie, etc). Staten Island doesn't have any areas that are 80+% Black, but like I said, there are a decent amount of areas out here that have low crime and a sizable black presence. (Only reason there aren't more is because SI doesn't have a lot of Blacks to begin with).
You can include Bergen beach and parts of Midwood near Flatbush as well in brooklyn... Bergen Beach is increasingly going from middle class italian to middle to upper middle class black. And Midwood has always had a significant Black population with a relatively low crime rate...

With all of these facts dropping however you notice how guys like norwood boy have gone completely silent over the past few pages... I wonder why that is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,885 posts, read 8,433,339 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Thank you for proving my point... Ladies and gentleman this troll post is exactly what I was speaking of... A man who has no idea of where the boundaries of the neighborhood lie nor that jefferson and wyckoff intersect eachother as opposed to running parallel along a significant stretch...
You know, I just realized this today. It accounts for the odd opinions that don't make sense.
Who knows where this person lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,159,022 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You can include Bergen beach and parts of Midwood near Flatbush as well in brooklyn... Bergen Beach is increasingly going from middle class italian to middle to upper middle class black. And Midwood has always had a significant Black population with a relatively low crime rate...

With all of these facts dropping however you notice how guys like norwood boy have gone completely silent over the past few pages... I wonder why that is...
Anon, Come on don't join the clowns on this thread. I have a life and was helping a buddy in the Rockaways today. Back to the thread. I picked the 120pct because that area has the largest concentration of blacks living on Staten Island BTW since when did Midwood have a large black population or Bergen Beach?? Last time I traveled through Midwood I saw a very large jewish community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,159,022 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
His (norwood boys) clearly baseless statement that they have operation impact in Cambria Heights, Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, etc. only proves what his intentions were from the start... Operation impact is only for the (pay attention now) HIGH CRIME areas... None of those working/middle class black areas in Southeast Queens fit the mold... By the way quick story, I went to translate some papers for a college student I used to work with who recently moved here from Peru... She lives on 128th ave. near Merrick Blvd... I'd say the area is about 80% Black... The three neighbors I met trying to find her exact location, a Doctor, a retired Police Officer, and a fire fighter... The average income of her block is approaching six figures and the area basically reminded me of a black version of middle village... Too quiet for my taste but as safe as any majority white middle class area in the city...

And I'd have to agree with Dennis Browns statement especially circa 2013 about the majority of black areas in this city are solid working middle class areas... The former majority black/Puerto Rican low income high crime areas are disappearing while the middle class black areas only continue to increase... Whereas at one point, areas like East Elmhurst, Hollis, Springfield Gardens, Hillside, Rosedale could all be considered shady areas, especially in the 90s... that is no longer the case...
Anon, Before calling me liar I would suggest you speak to a current Police Office and ask him about Queens South Impact Zone. I notice the Basley Houses are listed in the areas you listed Once again not SAYING that those areas are the wild wild west. Compared to Bayside,Whitestone,Malba,Forest Hills or Middle Village they are more dangerous. That does not mean every single person that lives there is a criminal. Not by a longshot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,856 posts, read 7,826,591 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You can include Bergen beach and parts of Midwood near Flatbush as well in brooklyn... Bergen Beach is increasingly going from middle class italian to middle to upper middle class black. And Midwood has always had a significant Black population with a relatively low crime rate...

With all of these facts dropping however you notice how guys like norwood boy have gone completely silent over the past few pages... I wonder why that is...
Well, he posted yesterday, and some people don't visit this site every day, so we can give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

I think with Bergen Beach, you're referring to Georgetown (I think there's an area called Old Mill Basin that's around there as well). The areas south of Avenue U are still mostly white, but the areas further north are seeing increases in the black population. But yeah, those areas you mentioned either have been or are becoming predominantly black, and are still very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 3,159,022 times
Reputation: 1135
AVE U where Landy's is? The problem is that not quite sure posters here know exact boundaries of the areas they mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,958,012 times
Reputation: 1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Unfortunately, Dennis Brown I cannot think of one black area in the city where crime isnt prevalent. I will list NYPD Pct's where most of the residents are black. In the Bronx 47 which covers Wakefield. The 28 and 32 which cover central Harlem. The 73 and 75 in Brooklyn which cover East NY and Brownsville. THe 113 and 103 which cover Jamaica, Cambria Heights and Springfield Gardens and Laurelton. The 120 which covers Stapleton in SI. I'm everyone can come up with reasons why crime happens in these areas but there is no denying that those are very busy pcts. I also forgot the 67 which covers East Flatbush.
You mentioned Brownsville so I can speak to what I am familiar with and what I thought was common knowledge. My great uncle lived in Brownsville until he died. Brownsville is crime-ridden because it is a "black" area? So Brownsville was not crime-ridden when it was white and Jewish? I guess your grandparents didn't tell you what all of the housing projects replaced: run-down tenements filled with the descendants of Jewish immigrants.

Brownsville has always been more or less a dump, regardless of what race lived there:

Brownsville and the curse of geography

I think the fact that the area is just non-desirable real estate (comparatively) contributes more than anything to its poor living environment. I would suspect that most other low income majority black areas are the same. I also see a trend in that most large ghettoes of the Northeast started out as Jewish tenements or blue collar type areas. Of course that is where name "ghetto" came from in the first place. These include West Baltimore, North Philly, Roxbury (Boston), and of course Harlem and the South Bronx. So there are reasons why many majority black inner city areas are crime ridden.

First is income. These hoods started out as middle class and by the time blacks came to occupy these ghettoes, they were 30 year old tenements or "working" class AT BEST. Second, high income black areas that are not transitional neighborhoods have a tendency to be suburban. Really the only places where I've seen upper middle income majority black neighborhoods that have always been black neighborhoods are in suburban DC and Atlanta. Third, most places that are monoracial and low-income are crime ridden. West Virginia is no picnic for whites either. So most middle or upper income blacks are just racial minorities in otherwise crime-free but diverse neighborhoods. So it is almost comical to expect any majority black neighborhoods in NYC with either 50-60 year old projects or 90-100 year old apartments to be anything but lower income and havens for crime (i.e. Brownsville).



Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The overwhelming majority of violent crime in this country is committed by 14-21 y/o black males against other black males in inner-city settings. Facts are facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I was referring specifically to homicide.
Homicide. I used to think this word had something to do with murder but it has morphed into a largely white male tool to distract America from this country's true public crisis: suicide. The rates in which white males (and females) commit suicide are immense in comparison to not just the rates of black suicide but the rates and overall numbers of homicide. It's not even close but because suicide always always largely impacted white males, it used to be a felony but was largely decriminalized by the 1960s. So certainly, who would want to live in a low-income "black" neighborhood where you are at risk of being a victim of homicide?

However, is the alternative moving to a higher income "white" neighborhood where your neighbors are more likely to kill themselves than your old neighbors were more likely to get killed? In my estimation, both are pretty bad so let's stop throwing around black homicide as the only social problem that exists in the country, shall we? Remember there are 6 homicides per 100,000 in NYC versus 11 suicides per 100,000. So why is it that no one analyzes the quality of life in a neighborhood based on the propensity of its residents to kill themselves despite suicide being almost twice as likely to occur in NYC than homicide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top