Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
People always have short term memory when it comes to these topics... areas like Brownsville in the 1910's, 20s and 30s were a much more dangerous place with dilapidated tenements and horrible conditions as opposed to anytime from the 70s and up when the neighborhood became =0 darker...

A little info about the famous Jewish mafia of back in the day...
Murder, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"Originally headed by Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, and later by Albert "The Mad Hatter" Anastasia, Murder, Inc. was responsible for between 400 and 1,000 contract killings,[2] until the group was exposed in the early 1940s by informer and group member Abe "Kid Twist" Reles. "

The murder rate back in those days was probably twice what it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s and probably about four or five times as much in comparison with today's times... Same goes for areas like the LES, five points in Hells Kitchen, etc. All those areas were far worse when the majority of the population was poor white as opposed to poor black... What is the key element then?

Sidepoint- @ nei, the entire country was thriving after the war in the 1950s... any history book would confirm this... This was probably the reason why Brownsville wasn't considered such a dangerous place in the 50s... A little further back however and the same issues that plague the area today to a much lesser extent plagued the area back then as well...

For anyone who is capable of thinking logically and intelligently they'd realize that this is a poverty issue and not a color issue...

I want to rep you but the system wont let me!

I agree with you. Its not only Brownsville that goes through a vicious cycle of poverty and crime! Its other neighborhoods as well that has gone through the same mantra of crime and poverty for the past 100 years like LES, Mott Haven, Harlem and East Harlem, Williamsburg and Bushwick. Neighborhoods that I mentioned are or were locked in a vicious cycle. Here in Mott Haven I met former residents who grew up in my area during the 1950s of different ethnic backgrounds, one was Italian, another was Irish, and another Puerto Rican who told me that the area was not great back then, tenements stacked next to each other did not make life better for some, only worse. Housing projects which replaced tenements in the area made the situation much more worse with stacking people on top of one another, again another example of the failure of urban renewal. These folks that grew up in Mott Haven moved out during the 70s, either live in Ritzy areas of Manhattan or Suburbs of Long Island. Lets not forget Prohibition which had an impact on areas like Harlem, Hunts Point, Mott Haven, Williamsburg and Bushwick with Bootlegging Alcohol which allowed crime to run un checked through out parts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
The only Black neighborhoods I know of with poverty is mostly the cities housing projects which most of its residents are African American. In middle class Black neighborhoods like Williamsbidge in the Bronx, Canarsie Brooklyn, Lauralton and Cambia Hieghts Queens residents may have to worry about gun play and wannabe thugs.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Brownsville is the 73rd precinct, which had two murders this year.
Yes your correct the 75 is ENY

Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only Black neighborhoods I know of with poverty is mostly the cities housing projects which most of its residents are African American. In middle class Black neighborhoods like Williamsbidge in the Bronx, Canarsie Brooklyn, Lauralton and Cambia Hieghts Queens residents may have to worry about gun play and wannabe thugs.
In SE Queens as long as you're not caught up in the drug scene (on a major distribution level cause the street scene been dead) you have little to worry about as far as violence. I would however suggest you steer clear of some of the teen/facebook-driven house parties during the summertime and if you're a lady walking by yourself late at night because there is always one or two rapist running around.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The persisting sociological problems in the black community are a result of the absolute breakdown of the black family. Really sad since historically black families tended to be extremely close-knit. When 72% of your kids are born out of wedlock, you are going to have big problems. A lot of black dads think that being a good dad means being there for your kids when they need you....nope, being a good dad means being in your kids' lives each and every day. I work in a inner-city ghetto area, serving a population that is 99% black. The good people in the neighborhood all have something in common: they are devoutly religious and the church plays an important part in their everyday lives. These people work hard, have good morals, and are decent people overall. There is a pretty clear demarcation between them and the ghetto thugs. Interestingly enough, many of these good citizens are Caribbean immigrants, who are by-and-large hated by the native blacks in the neighborhood.

Racism is much more prevalent among blacks than whites these days. The prison population is filled with more blacks because they commit more crimes, plain and simple.

All races are not equal, and history bears that out. People like to say silly things like "all races are equal" because it makes them feel better but its not true. Some cultures are superior to other cultures.

Blacks as a whole need to stop blaming others and listen to what Bill Cosby said in his 2004 speech.
No one denies that the breakdown of the family structure can cause alot of problems. With that mentioned, you mentioned something about the crime and racism. I would say racism is concealed more these days. Alot of people hide what they really feel.

And with crime, well, consider this. About half of the people in prison are there for drug crimes. While alot of crimes have been committed by many Blacks, Blacks are also more likely to be caught. Blacks do not have a higher rate of drug use than Whites or Hispanics. Blacks just get caught more for drugs. It is also the kinds of crimes being committed as well. White collar crime typically gets less time than blue collar crime.

And I find contradiction in a statement. If you were to believe that races are not equal, you would also have to believe that certain races don't have the ability to "stop blaming others". Considering that people have the ability to stop blaming others, I disagree with some of what you had to say.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
The posted picture looked like a university campus...or a nice day in liberal Toronto.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The posted picture looked like a university campus...or a nice day in liberal Toronto.
I never thought of a university when I saw that picture.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM

167 posts, read 306,007 times
African Americans in Queens make more money than the white population in Queens

so the point you are making is hardly an exceptional one

Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM

237 posts, read 329,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
It is not safe and yes we are ALL living in poverty.

If a white person gets off the #6 at Parkchester a negro will approach them and they will be instantly held by the ankles and shaken for all of their loose change.

Nodding my head....absolutely serious.
Nah, I stopped doing that. Having to haul all that change to a coin star machine was such a pain in the ass

Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 27,816 times
I am a black professional woman who has lived in communities all over Queens, NY. All of my family and friends are educated homeowners who live in great neighborhoods. I went to all black private schools where all my classmates parents were professionals. It bothers me that because everyone on my neighborhood is brown people that are of other races like to assume there must be massive crime and poverty or that my neighborhood is undesirable. It's sad that we are still so divided in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City