Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 PM

16 posts, read 21,606 times

Advertisements

This is kind of crazy to ask total strangers there opinions on my potential move BACK to New York (Staten Island area) but I'm thinking this might just work. Sometimes you need to ask people outside of your circle so you can here the blunt truth on the matter. Well here it goes. We are a family of four US= mid & late twenties with two young elementary aged kids. I got my AS degree for the sole purpose of joining the NYPD as I took the exam in 2010 and waited on a position. (life long dream of mine). So after two years of waiting it felt like it wasnt going to happen so I decided to move my family down to central Florida to a small town 1 hour south of Orlando with all the hopes and dreams in the world. After almost two rough years things have went from bad to worse down here. Im currently unemployed full time and just scraping by basically. I have been contacted by the NYPD to go through there applicant process which takes awhile to clear and whatnot so I'm seriously considering moving back and looking for a two bedroom apartment on the island. Half of my family is still there so it makes the transition alot smoother. The cost of living is outrageous as you know and at first I will bringing home enough to pay the bills until I get on the job with a starting salary of $46k which sounds pretty good to me. My wife will continue to study towards her accounting degree and work from home in online sales. I'm just lost. We thought about Texas and I have been contacted on a few positions but with NO family over there it seems far fetched. So I was wondering what your honest opinion is???? Be blunt as you'd like I can take it. Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,194,277 times
Before you up root your family again, can just you come back up and start the application process and make sure its 100% full go before you move the family here?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM

11,192 posts, read 9,020,542 times
why not be a cop in Florida? Did they contact you to inform you to go to the police academy or to take an exam again?

Also, i am assuming that while living in Florida for 2 years you changed your address and got a Florida ID.

NYPD - Application Process

In addition to the above qualifications, successful candidates must:
Possess a valid, unrestricted, New York State Driver License.
Reside in the five (5) Boroughs of New York City or Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Putnam or Orange Counties.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM

@ livingsingleNYC .. We have been staying with a family member for the past 6 months and have overstayed our welcome which is understandable at this point. Working part time I do not make enough to rent a home here now unfortunately (Florida is still recooperating) and there are NO full time jobs available. We have some money in savings so its either Texas or NY at this point.
@ TheRyu .... I was contacted about 8-9 months ago to continue in the hiring process (background,phsych,physical,etc). I was unable to leave at the time so I put my list number and hold. I have reinstated it so I will be going through the process. I do not need to retest again as my application is still active. In Florida you must be certified (academy that you pay for @ $7000) and there is no guarantee of you getting hired here after since there is a hiring freeze at most departments here. And Yes I have changed my ID over but the NYPD allows you to have a out of state license so long as you get a NY one within 6 months.... You see my dilemma is tough!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,955,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8JON85 View Post
@ livingsingleNYC .. We have been staying with a family member for the past 6 months and have overstayed our welcome which is understandable at this point. Working part time I do not make enough to rent a home here now unfortunately (Florida is still recooperating) and there are NO full time jobs available. We have some money in savings so its either Texas or NY at this point.
@ TheRyu .... I was contacted about 8-9 months ago to continue in the hiring process (background,phsych,physical,etc). I was unable to leave at the time so I put my list number and hold. I have reinstated it so I will be going through the process. I do not need to retest again as my application is still active. In Florida you must be certified (academy that you pay for @ $7000) and there is no guarantee of you getting hired here after since there is a hiring freeze at most departments here. And Yes I have changed my ID over but the NYPD allows you to have a out of state license so long as you get a NY one within 6 months.... You see my dilemma is tough!
The NYPD has a thing called the Quest program for canidadates. Quest Program is for out of towners like yourself. Talk to your investigator.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,286,169 times
You have a support network of family on SI, so I would consider a return to NYC before moving elsewhere. Since you have an opportunity in the city, I would pursue it, but would you stay with family initially? That can help to make the transition easier, especially once you have a slot with the NYPD, i.e., you would be able to keep as much in savings, offsetting costs with a relative on SI for your family, if at all possible.

SI is a known factor, and there are some reasonable (for NYC) family neighborhoods where you could settle. It sounds like a very good option for your family.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,892,101 times
Given all your info, I would go for the move to SI and the NYPD.

But don't uproot until you are sure of the appointment. Nothing worse than NYC with NO income.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 AM

18,890 posts, read 13,776,530 times
When my father took the NYPD job in the 80's, we stayed in NJ while he went through the academy. I'd recommend something like that. Granted, being 1700 miles away from each other for 6+ months is pretty horrible, so maybe at least until you know you're starting the academy.

Keep in mind one VERY important plus for NYC jobs: you will not lose this job unless you seriously mess up. Jobs in Florida and Texas are susceptible to much more "conservative" employment policies. Especially in law enforcement, layoffs are very common.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM

I appreciate all the feedback! At this point the move seems like our only option.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 PM

11,578 posts, read 12,595,536 times
If you are still interested in law enforcement, it sounds like a good opportunity. If you get in, there's good benefits for you and your family, probably better than anything you'll get down south. Your wife may have an easier time and better salary as an accountant too when she finishes school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: