Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM

163 posts, read 484,605 times

Advertisements

as a matter of fact I do pay electricity I live in a 5 story building...Do your research before you post!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
as a matter of fact I do pay electricity I live in a 5 story building...Do your research before you post!!!
That's why I had a ?. Some people I know in Nycha buildings don't pay con ed. I guess you do.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM

ok, you said it!! some people you know..and that's exactly the point that I've been trying to make and you tell me I don't get...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Housing and Section 8 are somewhat different..and when you post NYCHA you include Housing...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Jasnery, the overall tone on the NYC forum of CD is anti-welfare, anti-section 8, and anti-subsidized housing. Expect that when you come here posting about those things that people are not going to give you the friendliest responses. NYCHA is subsidized housing...sliding scale rent based on income.

Apartments - NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

Quote:
Public Housing
The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) provides decent and affordable housing in a safe and secure living environment for low- and moderate-income residents throughout the five boroughs. Families pay no more than 30% of their family income for rent. The rent difference is subsidized by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It is virtually impossible to establish an average waiting time for a family to enter conventional public housing. Some applicants can be matched up with an available apartment in months, while others often have to wait years.
Of course HUD is funded by the taxpayer. So it is a form of welfare...call it what you want. In any event you are making folks salty talking about getting an upgrade when folks are paying market rate rent and don't qualify for housing. I have kids and would love a bigger home but I can't live in NYCHA so the only way for us to get more space is to pay for it.

Quote:
thank u citygrl, section 8 is as i explained before...but for some weird reason livingsingle has something against nycha..what ever it is, not my fault..thank God for nycha

Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Jasnery, the overall tone on the NYC forum of CD is anti-welfare, anti-section 8, and anti-subsidized housing. Expect that when you come here posting about those things that people are not going to give you the friendliest responses. NYCHA is subsidized housing...sliding scale rent based on income.

Apartments - NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

Of course HUD is funded by the taxpayer. So it is a form of welfare...call it what you want. In any event you are making folks salty talking about getting an upgrade when folks are paying market rate rent and don't qualify for housing. I have kids and would love a bigger home but I can't live in NYCHA so the only way for us to get more space is to pay for it.
Thank you!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Housing and Section 8 are somewhat different..and when you post NYCHA you include Housing...
Entirely false.

In both NYCHA housing and Section 8, taxpayer money is subsidizing a shortfall. NYCHA housing and Section 8 are identical in that both provide subsidies for people who would otherwise not be able to pay rent in New York. Taxpayer monies are diverted from whatever other programs to subsidize people in NYCHA housing and in Section 8 programs. They differ only quite superficially, in the specific amount of money they provide.

Rent control and rent stabilization differ from those - substantially. The argument has been made that market-rate tenants are subsidizing the "artificially" (so the argument goes) low rents for those units. Hey, whatever. But in any case, it is not taxpayer money that is subsidizing the lower rents.

A number of the posters are people in denial and very defensive. Educating them is not the issue and I would not continue to bother. But those are the facts.

What was the silly little phrase ...? Oh, yeah. "LOL."

Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM

all the information you just posted I do know!! I don't mind if the nyc forum is anti-welfare...the point is housing although is market rate you pay electricity, rent, for food, and other expenses like everybody else....I qualify to live here and don't feel like I'm taking anything from anybody..that's how livingsingle puts it only cause I pay less rent...

see how livingsingle thought I didn't pay electricity cause I live in NYCHA..well I do pay electricity..don't downgrade all people that live from NYCHA..that's all...I too paid the rent that's out there and I know it's not easy but I applied to NYCHA and I qualified so good for me...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
all the information you just posted I do know!! I don't mind if the nyc forum is anti-welfare...the point is housing although is market rate you pay electricity, rent, for food, and other expenses like everybody else....I qualify to live here and don't feel like I'm taking anything from anybody..that's how livingsingle puts it only cause I pay less rent...

see how livingsingle thought I didn't pay electricity cause I live in NYCHA..well I do pay electricity..don't downgrade all people that live from NYCHA..that's all...I too paid the rent that's out there and I know it's not easy but I applied to NYCHA and I qualified so good for me...
Of course ! And in the years to come, NYCHA will be entirely people who a paying a great portion, paying their own ConEd, etc. Everyone else, people who cannot or will not pay, will be moved out and relocated.

It is important to understand, though, when you talk about any kind of NYCHA, that it is, indeed, taxpayer subsidized housing. So defending your right to obtain it should always include an understanding of that fact.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Don't put words in my mouth please...

I don't downgrade people who live in NYCHA. I respect the people that use it to get ahead then move out. I do take issue with people who feel entitled to it and live there their whole lives. I take issue with your attitude not the fact that you live in NYCHA. As I have stated before I know/knew plenty of people in NYCHA, with Section 8, 80/20 etc. Those I know who are bettering themselves while in those places, I'm happy for. Those I know who are abusing the system I wish they would get kicked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery