Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,794,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Note that the OP is commuting to Forest Hills (though maybe the spouse is employed elsewhere ?) so the subway won't be extremely crowded starting from LIC.
True enough, though the OP asked for "thoughts" re HP generally.

I was wondering how you get to FH on the subway???

Then I just realized, 7 to F. In order to do that he must take the 7 into Manhattan and change for the F at Fifth Avenue (where you can walkthru to IND 42nd Street Station. Relatively quick!

Just looked at a map, guess the 7 going to Flushing and transfer at Court Square for M or R. Guess that w/b best. Sounds pretty good to me! Never done it though.

Yet, I would prefer to drive, which w/b a VERY easy commute, though parking w/b a pain in FH.

Also, the *bus*!! Don't know for certain, but a bus from HP most certainly goes to Queens Plaza, where he could transfer to a bus going down Queens Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
True enough, though the OP asked for "thoughts" re HP generally.

I was wondering how you get to FH on the subway???

Then I just realized, 7 to F. In order to do that he must take the 7 into Manhattan and change for the F at Fifth Avenue (where you can walkthru to IND 42nd Street Station. Relatively quick!

Just looked at a map, guess the 7 going to Flushing and transfer at Court Square for M or R. Guess that w/b best. Sounds pretty good to me! Never done it though.

Yet, I would prefer to drive, which w/b a VERY easy commute, though parking w/b a pain in FH.

Also, the *bus*!! Don't know for certain, but a bus from HP most certainly goes to Queens Plaza, where he could transfer to a bus going down Queens Blvd.
Thank you for your posts jcoltrane (and others as well). Quite helpful.

The wifey is working in forest hills and will likely drive (her place of work has parking for her). I am working all over the place so my commute cant be dealt with easily regardless.

Our time in NYC has never really dealt with house hunting (we'll be there soon) so exposure to the areas is fairly limited as of now. On trulia, streeteasy, and the times websites I cant find any newer constructions around our price range in forest hills. Our broker shares that sentiment iirc. I googled "new construction forest hills" and various forms of and found not much there either. While doing a quick street view "drive" of queens blvd in Forest Hills I didnt really see anything that caught my eye. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places or just missing something obvious. I hate to ask but please do share a link of anything that would qualify and I can branch out from there.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,224,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeltoe View Post
Thank you for your posts jcoltrane (and others as well). Quite helpful.

The wifey is working in forest hills and will likely drive (her place of work has parking for her). I am working all over the place so my commute cant be dealt with easily regardless.

Our time in NYC has never really dealt with house hunting (we'll be there soon) so exposure to the areas is fairly limited as of now. On trulia, streeteasy, and the times websites I cant find any newer constructions around our price range in forest hills. Our broker shares that sentiment iirc. I googled "new construction forest hills" and various forms of and found not much there either. While doing a quick street view "drive" of queens blvd in Forest Hills I didnt really see anything that caught my eye. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places or just missing something obvious. I hate to ask but please do share a link of anything that would qualify and I can branch out from there.
You're right that there isn't much new construction in Forest Hills, certainly not on the scale of LIC. Since the distance between the two is short, I don't see much reason for looking hard in Forest Hills anyway. That area is also nice and a little cheaper than LIC, but not that much cheaper, and I assume easy access to Manhattan would be good for leisure purposes at least.

$2500 might be a bit low for a new construction 1BR on the waterfront, though. I think they're starting around $2600 now. Inland, in the new buildings around Court Square or near the Vernon-Jackson stop, that should be very doable.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,794,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I visited a friend at 4705 Center Blvd a few times. It's a large new construction building by the water. I found it to be much too isolated and far from the train. I personally would much prefer to live in a nice neighborhood-y part of Astoria over anywhere in LIC. I also have visited a friend who lives right around the corner from the Vernon Jackson stop. There are a few blocks on Vernon Ave that are pretty nice, but it's nothing compared to what Astoria offers. Just my 2 cents.
One, I think you need to grow a thicker skin.

Two, I'll make whatever remarks I choose!

Last, I think your comments give a false impression; but, most of all, you do not explain yourself.

Isolated? How so? Far? What is close to you? Frankly, 50% of commuters, NOT living in Transplant neighborhoods, walk a similar distance. You don't state which station you used. Was it Vernon Jackson or Vernon Blvd.? Vernon Jackson is indeed "far", but Vernon Blvd. Is a good deal closer.

Then you imply that HP is not "neighborhood-y". I don't get that, and I don't think anyone *new* to NYC will either. As a born and bred NYer, most of Astoria is NOT much of a "neighborhood"! The exception being Ditmars and the area near the airport, Astoria Heights. Neighborhoods are, among other things, places of *connected* peoples, shared values and ethics!

You also comment that, "a few blocks on Vernon [Ave] Blvd., are "pretty nice", but "nothing compared to what Astoria offers".

WHAT does that mean?! "Nice"? HP is not "nice"? I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and I doubt nor does anyone else. What DOES Astoria offer? What of Astoria is HP lacking?

Not only that, Hunters Point is a far smaller and far more *intimate* neighborhood than! Astoria. HP has expotentially, less noise, crowds, dirt, filth, smells, etc., and is far more American and liveable!

In other words, "nice". Get it?

Fine, as you stated, it is *your* 2 cents!

What is your problem?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM

38 posts, read 80,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
A

It is *your* 2 cents!

Hunters Point is for true modern day Yuppies! It is a modern newly built CLEAN environment. It is for people who would or have lived in Manhattan. HP provides Manhattan style *tower* living with EXCELLENT amenities, at a significant discount from equivalent Manhattan rents, AND you get more space (or so it w/seem).

For example you c/pay $3500 for a 1 or 2 bedroom which would cost $5K in Manhattan, this is the lure. In addition, you get water views of the river AND Manhattan, day and night! You also get the satisfaction of being a part of something *new*.

Literally, *all* of the modern towers have doorman, some with concierge, (1 or 2 may have valet parking, I forget), refrigerated Fresh Direct Rooms, Gyms, Pools, central a/c, common entertainment rooms, baldconies, on site management, a host of amenities which tend to reflect luxury in NYC.

If you are used to and expect the sort of typical middle class rental **complex** found in most of America, especially the South and West, then HP may be for you. Particularly, if you want that in a NYC package!

Besides the amenities the buildings provide, there is Gantry Park, which is a brand new park, situated directly on the water facing Manhattan!! What c/b better.

Parking is available for an additonal cost, $200 per month, I believe is typical. Street parking is available, but has become a bit crowded, and becomong more difficult, as the population grows.

HP is an old area, that has and continues to be *RE-developed on a LARGE scale. Commuting is by "7" train into Manhattan, which is just 2 stops away. The great thing is that the first stop in Manhattan is Grand Central Station, which is in the heart of the Midtown/East Side business district! There is no shorter subway commute from the Boroughs.

As Henna complains, yes there is a relatively short, roughly 4 block walk to the subway, BUT your door to door time is FAR shorter than Henna's (Jackson Heights?), and shorter than Astoria's door to door. In any event, it is the small price for the incredible river views.

The equivalent to Hunters Point is Battery Park City downtown Manhattan. If you are attracted to BPC, but find the cost prohibitive, then HP may be just for you.

HP does NOT have the *nightlife* of Manhattan, nor trendy Brooklyn neighborhoods like Williamsburg, but WB and Greenpoint are just a very short cab ride away, as is Manhattan!

That said, there are a growing number of restaurants, bars, and coffee spots, as well as The Cellar Suppermarket (which is somewhere between Whole Foods and say Publix (for those so familiar). It is not, imo, like the typical family market found in Suburbia, but rather a market catering to Yuppie/prosperous singles and couples w/o children. Lots of organic food, prepared food, as well as exotic and expensive beer.

The post college/grad school crowd with *good* starter jobs! I've noted a significant of Ivy grads! There are NO "hipsters", as HP is relatively contrary to such values, plus the average hipster c/n afford the area. The area is more corporate youth, as opposed to hipster arty.

If you hadn't surmised, HP is the one place in Queens, which is virtually immigrant free!! American culture and English are the dominant culture!!! For the most part, an American will not feel like an immigrant in your own country, as you may in most (Western) Queen's neighborhoods!

Friday nights and thru the weekend, nightime, the restaurants are full, and the area has a mild buzz of energy; but, nothing yet like Manhattan, nor the trendy areas of Brooklyn.

Comparatively, if you can afford Brooklyn Heights, and the better housing of Park Slope, and the other brownstone communities, BUT you don't want the family atmosphere, and can do w/o brownstones, and want a more youthful(, but not college juvenile) atmosphere, then HP may be for you.

HP is a truly up and coming, developing area, which in 10 years will be an extension of Manhattan in Queens. Discounting the housing stock, HP reminds me a bit of early gentrifying Park Slope, in that a sort of community is developing. In my eye, because most residents share culture, language, school, and work, there exists commonalities which foster interaction among those who were formerly strangers. I guess its kinda college like! Yet, an atmosphee not found in other ( Western) Queens areas.

There are certain negatives, most of which, I'll leave to another post; but, besides the walk to the subway (offset by building amenities, the park and views), the subway is VERY crowded. You may have to wait a train or two, before you can push your way on, mornings, during rush hour. Fortunately, it is just a couple of stops and you're off! Though, such may add to your commute time.

Also, the MTA is presently in the middle of a lengthy program to upgrade the subway track/switches (in a presumed effort to eleviate overcrowding and move more trains faster.) I also believe that they have plans to renovate/rebuild the subway stations of HP. Fortunately, this work is *not* continuous, but periodic! Yet, it does result in major disruption. Though, evetually, the work w/b completed.

The other major caveate, is the expense! HP while *cheaper* than equivalent housing in Manhattant, is still at the high end in Queens and/or Brooklyn. Only the most luxurious towers in Forest Hills are equal in cost; and, equally as expensive as most brownstone areas of Brooklyn, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, etc.

So, a tight budget won't work, and neither will 10 zillion roommates!!
Agreed with most of this.

However, I have to say that I have never had an issue getting onto the subway train in the morning, unless there has been an earlier "incident" that backed up the trains and this is the first one in 20 minutes. Otherwise, they seem to run every 2-5min and while there may be no seat, there's more than enough space to stand (not like the crowded 4/5/6 trains where you're crushed up against someone). Part of this may be due to the exact schedule I'm on - I generally leave for work around 9 which may be a little later than the biggest rush - but even on days I've come in early I have not had any troubles.

The weekend construction (which I think - hope - is done for the summer) is a different matter all together and a huge pain, particularly if you go out on weekend nights into the city. The cab fares to get back start to really add up (the alternative being to go way out into Astoria and then take the shuttle which isn't very appealing at 2am when you're reading to go home and sleep).

Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 PM

217 posts, read 680,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeltoe View Post
The two of us will be moving to NYC soon. Going to be looking for a place in Long Island City + Hunters Point. Employed in Forest Hills. We are in our mid 20's and early 30's. Did a quick search but didn't find anything. Wanted to get some general thoughts on the area from those that are more familiar. Anything to look for + look out for while apartment/condo shopping.
Where did you end up?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM

5 posts, read 10,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
Where did you end up?
After viewing most, if not all the newer constructions in Hunters point we left unimpressed with the apartments themselves. We ended up in a newer construction condo in Forest Hills.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:30 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,626,899 times
I LOVE Long Island City and wish I can afford to live there. As much as the new residential sky scrapers look beautiful, I would be more than happy to live in the small little apartments town houses that have been there long before the new construction went underway. Sure, its not as lively as Manhattan, Astoria, Williamsburg and other happening areas but that's what I LOVE about it. A lot of people think L.I.C. is abandoned and barren but if you know where to look, there's quite a few things to do.

For starters, Gantry State Park by the East River is one of my FAVORITE parks in NYC. The view is unmatched and its always great to visit the park and have an awesome picnic, do some yoga and whatever other recreational activities you can partake in with that amazing view of Manhattan. The Z and the Ravel Hotel have some nice rooftop parties, the L.I.C bar is very chill and a lot of fun, there's a few other restaurants (Shi, East View Restaurant, Madera Cuban Grill and Steakhouse, Malu Ice Cream amongst others) and lounges around the area and a great coffee shop in Sweet Leaf right off the 7 Train on Jackson Ave. There's great art in P.S.1 Moma, 5 Points and "secret parties" if you know the right people. Rock Climbing at "The Cliffs". On top of all that, its just one stop away from Manhattan on the 7 train at Jackson Ave and only a few minutes away if you're a little deeper in L.I.C. And a few stops from North Williamsburg/Bedford/Greenpoint Brooklyn on the G train and if you want, you can simply walk, run, crawl, roll, bike ride into Brooklyn over the Pulaski Bridge.

Sure, it can be very quiet at night and industrial in some parts but its very safe, convenient and is becoming trendier and never gets too loud and over crowded. Its a great place to chill out if you're not in the mood to be in he midst of all the hustle and bustle of Manhattan and its RIGHT across the river.

I don't understand why L.I.C has a bad stigma but I love it. If you can afford to live there, i say go for it! You can't lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City