Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 PM

13 posts, read 25,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
I heard they got some top notch girls in Samuel Tilden Houses over there.
I googled samuel tilden houses but couldn't find much. I know Samuel Tilden is a former governor of my state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iimc7 View Post
i googled samuel tilden houses but couldn't find much. I know samuel tilden is a former governor of my state.
TILDEN HOUSES
282 Dumont Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11212
(718) 495-1570 Fax (718) 922-1489
Street Boundaries
Rockaway Avenue/Mother Gaston Boulevard
Dumont Avenue/Livonia Avenue
Subway Lines
L to Livonia Avenue
3 to Rockaway Avenue
(4 during rush hour to Rockaway Avenue)
Bus Lines
B14 to Mother Gaston Boulevard and Blake
B60 to Rockaway Avenue and Sutter Avenue

Thank me later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	badpea.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	109736

Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
TILDEN HOUSES
282 Dumont Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11212
(718) 495-1570 Fax (718) 922-1489
Street Boundaries
Rockaway Avenue/Mother Gaston Boulevard
Dumont Avenue/Livonia Avenue
Subway Lines
L to Livonia Avenue
3 to Rockaway Avenue
(4 during rush hour to Rockaway Avenue)
Bus Lines
B14 to Mother Gaston Boulevard and Blake
B60 to Rockaway Avenue and Sutter Avenue

Thank me later.

Attachment 109736
So after I move here do you really think I should just go into a random apt building and talk to women? Seems odd. I did see some good looking girls when I left the hospital but some had children in tow. I could do it I guess, I mean I'm an outgoing guy. I did see one couple who were absurdly overweight.

I think I'll try living in the hospital's immediate vicinity, at least initially. Are you faniliar with this Lott Rd area at all? Really appreciate any help you can give.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Oh my god. Those threads talk about people getting mugged/robbed at the Saratoga subway stop (the one I'd use to meet up with people in Park Slope or Manhattan), about people getting the crap beaten out of them right near the hospital, etc. It doesn't sound like it would be safe for me to live in Brownsville.

For some reason I don't think anyone can be so naive, trolling?

Anyway, if you are true, then there is NOWHERE within walking distance of the hospital, which is suitable for you!!

If you have friends in Park Slope, then move to Park Slope, if you can afford the rent. If not find a roommate.
Personally, I would look to drive; or, include in my budget the cost of taxi fare. I w/n rely on the subway in that area, day or night. If you need to risk it during the day, so be it; but, nightime, you'll just have to afford the car fare!

Mother Of Three Fatally Shot Outside Brookdale Hospital: Gothamist

Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

For some reason I don't think anyone can be so naive, trolling?

Anyway, if you are true, then there is NOWHERE within walking distance of the hospital, which is suitable for you!!

If you have friends in Park Slope, then move to Park Slope, if you can afford the rent. If not find a roommate.
Personally, I would look to drive; or, include in my budget the cost of taxi fare. I w/n rely on the subway in that area, day or night. If you need to risk it during the day, so be it; but, nightime, you'll just have to afford the car fare!

Mother Of Three Fatally Shot Outside Brookdale Hospital: Gothamist
Not trolling. I apologize if I appear naive to you but I really don't know much about the area. It didn't look that bad during the day, sure maybe a bit gritty but so is my current neighborhood in Syracuse and NYC is far safer in terms of murders per capita etc. I don't want to own a car in NYC because then I have to pay for parking and I'll get white knuckles from driving in NYC traffic. The lease is up in June on my current car anyway.

I read the link you posted but I have to believe that was a personal beef and not random, right? It wasn't a drive by bullet that hit a bystander. The guy came right up to her and shot her in the head, so hard to believe it was a stranger.

Let's say that I did live on Lott St for 3 months or so to try it out. What is the worst that can happen? Getting mugged? What if I decide to not carry any money or valuables on me walking to or from the hospital so nothing to lose? Muggers want marks with money and if I don't have any, what are they going to do, kill me? I'm not a woman so the chance of sexual assault is minimal. The neighborhood does seem sketchy but what are the people going to do to someone who doesn't carry money and stays out of trouble? The neighborhood is inhabited by people and they manage to survive without being shot in the head or assaulted. Why couldn't I? I can walk 3 mins from work to home and rely on credit cards.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Not trolling. I apologize if I appear naive to you but I really don't know much about the area. It didn't look that bad during the day, sure maybe a bit gritty but so is my current neighborhood in Syracuse and NYC is far safer in terms of murders per capita etc. I don't want to own a car in NYC because then I have to pay for parking and I'll get white knuckles from driving in NYC traffic. The lease is up in June on my current car anyway.

I read the link you posted but I have to believe that was a personal beef and not random, right? It wasn't a drive by bullet that hit a bystander. The guy came right up to her and shot her in the head, so hard to believe it was a stranger.

Let's say that I did live on Lott St for 3 months or so to try it out. What is the worst that can happen? Getting mugged? What if I decide to not carry any money or valuables on me walking to or from the hospital so nothing to lose? Muggers want marks with money and if I don't have any, what are they going to do, kill me? I'm not a woman so the chance of sexual assault is minimal. The neighborhood does seem sketchy but what are the people going to do to someone who doesn't carry money and stays out of trouble? The neighborhood is inhabited by people and they manage to survive without being shot in the head or assaulted. Why couldn't I? I can walk 3 mins from work to home and rely on credit cards.
Wow... this guy seriously is that naïve... Before I comment on the bolded I really recommend you do not move into the area... Naïve stupid folk use the per capita statistic in NYC to convince themselves NYC is the safest place in the world... The reality is that this city is saturated with 3 times the people that any other city in this country has... So even if we have 500 murders a year (which is right about our average and is also on average or just slightly lower than Chicago), because we have 8,000,000 plus living in this city, our murder rate lowers to about 4 or 5 per 100,000... Wouldn't scare anyone...

When you do the number crunching however and realize that 90% of these murders are concentrated in areas like Brownsville/East NY and others across the city you realize that despite the improvements throughout the years... the areas still aren't that great... Brownsville/East NY/Eastern Bed Stuy is just about the worst this city has to offer... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise... Last year Brownsville had a tame year... the murder rate was only 25 per 100,000... The year before it was over 30 and the year before that it was either 33 or 35 per 100,000... There are pockets of decent areas in Brownsville but for the most part the area is still one of the worst areas in the city... There is a reason why Brookdale Hospital is the ideal location for training... It sees the most action out of any other hospital in the city...

Now in terms of the bolded statement which shows that if you do live in the shady part of Syracuse you clearly weren't born and raised there... There's something called mugger money in the hood... You should always carry at least $10 with you at all times just in case you do get stopped... If they catch you and shake you down and you have nothing to offer... prepare to get a solid and thorough beat down... That's how it works in the hood... Sometimes the arrogance accompanied by ignorance of some people on these sites amazes me... Did your parents coddle you that much that you have absolutely no common sense whatsoever... Not trying to be rude but man if you're that naïve you're in for a real serious awakening in Brownsville out of all places...

The most basic of searches on google would've given you your answer...

Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
I googled samuel tilden houses but couldn't find much. I know Samuel Tilden is a former governor of my state.
He's kidding. The Tilden Houses is a housing project. (One of the worst in the city)

In any case, there's a huge difference between the area to the north of Brookdale, and the area to the south. South of Linden Blvd, you'd still be able to walk to the hospital, and it would be much safer. For transportation to Manhattan, the area south of Linden has the B17 to Crown Heights (where you can catch the (3) or (4) train to Manhattan), which while it's not the greatest area, it's much safer than Brownsville and it's busy, so you're likely not going to get robbed.

Your other option would be either the B8 or B35 to/from the Nostrand Avenue Line or Brighton Line, depending on where exactly you live. (If push comes to shove, and you end up living by Lott Avenue, that's a safer alternative than walking or taking the B15 to/from Saratoga Avenue. (I'd still be concerned about walking home from the bus stop at night, even if it's a short distance)

Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Wow... this guy seriously is that naïve... Before I comment on the bolded I really recommend you do not move into the area... Naïve stupid folk use the per capita statistic in NYC to convince themselves NYC is the safest place in the world... The reality is that this city is saturated with 3 times the people that any other city in this country has... So even if we have 500 murders a year (which is right about our average and is also on average or just slightly lower than Chicago), because we have 8,000,000 plus living in this city, our murder rate lowers to about 4 or 5 per 100,000... Wouldn't scare anyone...

When you do the number crunching however and realize that 90% of these murders are concentrated in areas like Brownsville/East NY and others across the city you realize that despite the improvements throughout the years... the areas still aren't that great... Brownsville/East NY/Eastern Bed Stuy is just about the worst this city has to offer... Don't let anyone tell you otherwise... Last year Brownsville had a tame year... the murder rate was only 25 per 100,000... The year before it was over 30 and the year before that it was either 33 or 35 per 100,000... There are pockets of decent areas in Brownsville but for the most part the area is still one of the worst areas in the city... There is a reason why Brookdale Hospital is the ideal location for training... It sees the most action out of any other hospital in the city...

Now in terms of the bolded statement which shows that if you do live in the shady part of Syracuse you clearly weren't born and raised there... There's something called mugger money in the hood... You should always carry at least $10 with you at all times just in case you do get stopped... If they catch you and shake you down and you have nothing to offer... prepare to get a solid and thorough beat down... That's how it works in the hood... Sometimes the arrogance accompanied by ignorance of some people on these sites amazes me... Did your parents coddle you that much that you have absolutely no common sense whatsoever... Not trying to be rude but man if you're that naïve you're in for a real serious awakening in Brownsville out of all places...

The most basic of searches on google would've given you your answer...
Okay I understand what you're saying better now. No, you're right. I wasn't raised in Syracuse. I was raised in poor, rural Vermont in a town with less than 1500 people near the New Hampshire border. I don't think my parents coddled me, unless by coddled you mean being homeless when my dad lost his job and never having money for anything but the bare necessities. i worked jobs starting from age 14. I joined the military from 1998-2002 so that I could put myself through school. I think I have a decent amount of common sense but you're right that I was raised in an area in which there was almost no crime.

I understand what you're saying about mugger money but do you really think as jcoltrane posted that that poor woman who got shot in the head in front of the hospital was unfamiliar with the person who shot her? It just seems very unlikely, doesn't it? Why would the guy risk a life prison sentence to kill a complete stranger? I can handle being mugged for $10 a few times but I wouldn't like to be stabbed. At the end of the day, I just view most Americans as being rational, even criminals. If I give him the $10 and I don't resist then what incentive does he have to hurt me after? Most likely he would just run away.

I think I will try living here for 3 months or so and if it really is that bad then I will move out to an area nearby (East Flatbush maybe?).

Old 04-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
He's kidding. The Tilden Houses is a housing project. (One of the worst in the city)

In any case, there's a huge difference between the area to the north of Brookdale, and the area to the south. South of Linden Blvd, you'd still be able to walk to the hospital, and it would be much safer. For transportation to Manhattan, the area south of Linden has the B17 to Crown Heights (where you can catch the (3) or (4) train to Manhattan), which while it's not the greatest area, it's much safer than Brownsville and it's busy, so you're likely not going to get robbed.

Your other option would be either the B8 or B35 to/from the Nostrand Avenue Line or Brighton Line, depending on where exactly you live. (If push comes to shove, and you end up living by Lott Avenue, that's a safer alternative than walking or taking the B15 to/from Saratoga Avenue. (I'd still be concerned about walking home from the bus stop at night, even if it's a short distance)
Thanks for the response. I'm confused by what you're saying though if I choose to live on Lott. Are you saying that it is safer than walking to Saratoga? It is only a 3 minute walk from the hospital after all. Btw, I did see a lot of police in the area when I was walking/entering the hospital. I saw at least 3 squad cars. I assume that a heavy police presence in Brownsville would help keep things safer.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Quote:
Okay I understand what you're saying better now. No, you're right. I wasn't raised in Syracuse. I was raised in poor, rural Vermont in a town with less than 1500 people near the New Hampshire border. I don't think my parents coddled me, unless by coddled you mean being homeless when my dad lost his job and never having money for anything but the bare necessities. i worked jobs starting from age 14. I joined the military from 1998-2002 so that I could put myself through school. I think I have a decent amount of common sense but you're right that I was raised in an area in which there was almost no crime.

I understand what you're saying about mugger money but do you really think as jcoltrane posted that that poor woman who got shot in the head in front of the hospital was unfamiliar with the person who shot her? It just seems very unlikely, doesn't it? Why would the guy risk a life prison sentence to kill a complete stranger? I can handle being mugged for $10 a few times but I wouldn't like to be stabbed. At the end of the day, I just view most Americans as being rational, even criminals. If I give him the $10 and I don't resist then what incentive does he have to hurt me after? Most likely he would just run away.

I think I will try living here for 3 months or so and if it really is that bad then I will move out to an area nearby (East Flatbush maybe?).
East Flatbush isn't all that much of an improvement over Brownsville.

If you're that determined to live near the hospital, I would say maybe check Canarsie and take the B60. While Canarsie isn't that great either, it's definitely a few steps up from Brownsville and East Flatbush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City