U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 PM

6,682 posts, read 7,145,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I think the city should ban cars from particular corridors, not really a borough wide ban. Two that come to mind right now:

•FiDi (Though this seems to be happening on it's own due to security concerns).
•Broadway (From the Battery Park to Columbus Circle). Come on already!
That would be great if they did that on broadway. Half the street for walking, half for biking, no cars period
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,937,533 times
Sadik-Khan, Wolfson Invite New Yorkers to Sign Up for Bike-Share

Quote:
In 2009, the Department of City Planning released an ambitious blueprint for bike-share in New York, and in 2011, the Department of Transportation began an extensive public process to site actual bike-share stations. Now the planning is giving way to implementation, with North America’s largest year-round bike-share system set to launch in May. Today, Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan and Deputy Mayor Howard Wolfson marked an important milestone: New Yorkers can now sign up for annual bike-share memberships.
Quote:
The other big news from DOT today is that the system will be launching with 6,000 bikes at 330 stations, about 10 percent larger than the most recent launch plan. It looks like damage from Hurricane Sandy won’t impede the rollout of the system as much as originally thought.
Quote:
While DOT isn’t providing projections for anticipated Citi Bike usage, Sadik-Khan noted that Capital Bikeshare in Washington, DC, set a one-day record of 11,368 rides over the weekend, and Wolfson said New York will quickly pass those numbers. ”We will significantly outstrip any other city in the country in terms of usage,” he said.

Half of NYC trips, Sadik-Khan noted, clock in at under two miles, making bike-share a good option for many of those journeys, as well as for connecting to bus and subway service.
Sadik-Khan, Wolfson Invite New Yorkers to Sign Up for Bike-Share | Streetsblog New York City

You Can Now Subscribe to Citi Bike

Quote:
An annual subscription is $95 plus tax and gets you unlimited rides under 45 minutes. NYCHA residents and members of some community development credit unions can get $60 annual memberships by entering a discount code, though the codes aren’t available yet. Members who sign up now will have a bike-share key mailed to them a week before the system launches, sometime in May.
http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/04/1...-to-citi-bike/

Quote:
The annual fee is $95, and early adopters get all sorts of perks, from discounts on helmets (Citi Bike is BYO helmet) to a schmancy key fob that designates you as a founding member. Although a firm launch date hasn’t been announced yet, today’s development—along with the docking stations that have popped up throughout Brooklyn—is making the May debut of New York’s first bike-sharing program feel more real. “It's the first new transportation system in New York City in about 100 years,” notes cycling advocate Doug Gordon, who runs the blog Brooklyn Spoke. “It's almost hard to imagine how huge that is.”
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/thing...ebuting-in-may

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 04-15-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM

The Rest is Noise

Quote:
“All the major cycling-related arguments have been won.”

“…bike lanes are popular; they don’t hurt local businesses; more biking doesn’t lead to more accidents; bike lanes make pedestrians safer and don’t impede the flow of car traffic.”
The Rest is Noise | Brooklyn Spoke

Thousands Sign Up for New York City Bike Share in First Hours of Registration

Quote:
Registration for New York’s bike share system officially opened at 11 am Monday, and by 3 pm, some 2500 people had signed up.

By comparison, about 2,000 people signed up in the entire month before Washington DC’s bike share launched in August 2010 according to Chris Holben, who runs the bike share program for the District DOT. Washington currently has the largest bike share system in the United States.
Update: As of 8pm on sign up launch day; 3600+ members.

Major success so far (Goal is 5,000 for the launch month). Well beyond what officials expected. NYC needed this.

Thousands Sign Up for New York City Bike Share in First Hours of Registration | Transportation Nation

Also, moderators. Is there anyway to merge this thread into this older "mega" one with a ton of info:

Commuter Biking Discussion Thread: Bike Lanes, Bike Parking, etc. supporting commuters, not leisure bicycling

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 04-15-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM

2,572 posts, read 2,912,010 times
They are really pushing this citibike thing hard in my neighboorhood dumbo.
A huge swath of Front Street is taken up by a long bike rack.
Fulton Landing has one.
The F train stop has one, which is taking away a bunch of parking spots

Citibike better have a good insurance policy once all those clueless tourists and novice city bikers start treating the unfriendly streets of nyc as a leisurely bike path.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,522,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The Rest is Noise

The Rest is Noise | Brooklyn Spoke

Thousands Sign Up for New York City Bike Share in First Hours of Registration

Update: As of 8pm on sign up launch day; 3600+ members.

Major success so far (Goal is 5,000 for the launch month). Well beyond what officials expected. NYC needed this.

Thousands Sign Up for New York City Bike Share in First Hours of Registration | Transportation Nation

Also, moderators. Is there anyway to merge this thread into this older "mega" one with a ton of info:

Commuter Biking Discussion Thread: Bike Lanes, Bike Parking, etc. supporting commuters, not leisure bicycling
It's like 100+ with tax included.

I still think it's a little steep, but I'm looking foward to seeing more people cycling, it will make it safer for the rest of us.

we need more protected bike lanes, though.
Now I started biking to work in Brooklyn and it's a world of difference compared to Manhattan.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM

991 posts, read 1,598,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
It's like 100+ with tax included.

I still think it's a little steep, but I'm looking foward to seeing more people cycling, it will make it safer for the rest of us.

we need more protected bike lanes, though.
Now I started biking to work in Brooklyn and it's a world of difference compared to Manhattan.
That's for a year.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,565,657 times
Where are these people going to ride? Sidewalks? Streets? Oh, let me guess, the 'bike lanes?'

If they want to get serious about this (which I think is a great idea) they need to totally overhaul / revamp infrastructure. Also, the cops need to crack down and send a serious message on aggressive / outrageous driving. If I am riding a bike, it's not myself I am worried about, it's the crazy drivers.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,522,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That's for a year.
yea I know.

I'd like to see it cheaper. or same price but with longer use times.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM

16,221 posts, read 20,937,572 times
To be honest bike lanes will become congested, I hope these folks that ride citi bike use rules of the roads when it comes to biking. People who bike should generally bike on dedicated roads meant for biking with bike lanes on wide streets. Motorists but also pedestrians have to contend with more bikers. I have seen to many pedestrians get clipped by bikes and its dangerous. Even I got ran into a bike and thankfully being a big guy I was able to stop the bike upon impact.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM

More Than 4,000 People Subscribed to NYC Bike-Share in First 24 Hours

Quote:
It looks like demand for bike-share in New York is going to be intense. In the first 24 hours of membership sales, more than 4,000 people signed up for annual Citi Bike subscriptions, according to NYC DOT.
More Than 4,000 People Subscribed to NYC Bike-Share in First 24 Hours | Streetsblog New York City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City