Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
And actually I said out of 365 days, parhaps 1/3 of them, won't be good for cycling due to weather conditions. Regular/casual cyclists won't bike in the dead of winter or during rainy season. That's for more avid cyclists. That's why I think the yearly rate isn't inciting enough. If this was southern cali where you can probably cicyle year-around, I would agree that is a fair rate.

bike share in DC is used all winter. There may be more days that are very cold or snowy in NYC, but fewer days that are oppresively hot and humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
New York is not Amsterdam, Paris, D.C. or any other city with successful bikeshare programs.

Personally, I despise this project and hope it fails. The only saving grace is that it's mostly confined to Manhattan for now, and I no longer live there.

When I did live downtown, I was so sick of dodging irresponsible bikers they were one of the reasons why I moved to another neighborhood where they don't preside over roads, sidewalks and bike lanes all at the same time. Yeah, there are responsible riders, but there are also a ton who have no respect for anyone they share the roads with. They demand bike lanes, but don't use them. I can't even count how many times I've almost been hit by a bike that came out of nowhere when I was nowhere near where that bike should've been. I'm always respectful...I don't walk in bike lanes and always look, so it really pisses me off when some spandex-clad moron blowing a whistle comes full speed at me from around a corner when I'm trying to cross the road where I have the right of way.

Then you have the irresponsible drivers who kill cyclists..it's not like all of a sudden that's going to change. You can't change the way people behave when they are idiots.

Now with this thing clearly targeting tourists who have no clue how to even use sidewalks when they are walking, it just sounds like a complete nightmare.

all the complaints you make are made regularly in DC. They are standard memes some folks use about biking, that are not really specific to bikeshare, or to NYC.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I don't believe for a single moment that was in your top ten reasons for moving. SO what WAS the real reason?
It was in fact. I'm a big walker and it's important to me. The standard tourist sidewalk hoarding, aggressive homeless men on every corner and a never-ending stream of idiot bikers all added up to a total quality of life buzzkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
all the complaints you make are made regularly in DC. They are standard memes some folks use about biking, that are not really specific to bikeshare, or to NYC.
That's not relevant, and they are valid complaints. DC is in no way like NYC in terms of layout or density. I hate (irresponsible) bikers, and I'm entitled to my opinion. To put tourists on the street who have no idea how to ride in a dense and busy city is ridiculous. They can't even navigate the sidewalk.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,233 times
you will DIE if you ride a bike in nyc. a driver will open his door on you as you ride past. riding bikes is incredibly dangerous here. i have been riding bikes since i was 14 here in brooklyn. when i was 21/22 i started noticing more aggressive drivers towards bike riders. it wasn't worth it to me anymore. there are one too many bike accidents in nyc (including boroughs). at least bike paths are there but car drivers do not care. they will hit you and drive away.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
you will DIE if you ride a bike in nyc. a driver will open his door on you as you ride past. riding bikes is incredibly dangerous here. i have been riding bikes since i was 14 here in brooklyn. when i was 21/22 i started noticing more aggressive drivers towards bike riders. it wasn't worth it to me anymore. there are one too many bike accidents in nyc (including boroughs). at least bike paths are there but car drivers do not care. they will hit you and drive away.
That too. These drivers aren't going to go anywhere and you can't change the way they behave, and the idea that tons of inexperienced bikers and passive aggressive drivers are going to happily co-exist is bs.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
That too. These drivers aren't going to go anywhere and you can't change the way they behave, and the idea that tons of inexperienced bikers and passive aggressive drivers are going to happily co-exist is bs.
Actually,

as the bicyclists population increase, the rate of injury/fatalities declines. More drivers become accustom to sharing the road. The city will also invest more heavily in bicycle infrastructure. When CitiBike officially goes live this Spring, we will begin to see a sharp uptick in bicyclist.

Even Amsterdam and Copenhagen were once hostile places to ride a bike.

I have a lot of hope for this program, and bicycling as a whole in NYC. More transit options are only a good thing.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
Exaggerate much?

Following your logic, I should be writing from the afterlife, since I've been riding to work for last 3 yrs on a daily basis.

The fact of the matter is that what you're saying here is exactly the opposite of what's happening.

Cycling in NYC has gotten SAFER, as more infrastructure is put in place, and more people embrace cycling as way of mobilization.

Here's a few facts for you:

Bicyclist fatality rates in New York City are similar to national rates, though NYC has higher rates of
cycling for transportation.

Census data show that many more NYC adults (11% vs. 3%) walk or bicycle to work compared to the national average.

Nearly all (94%) fatalities involved poor driving or bicycle riding practices, particularly driver inattention and disregarding traffic signals and signs.
Only one fatal crash with a motor vehicle occurred when a bicyclist was in a marked bicycle lane.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ike-report.pdf

And the final and most important fact is that:

the NYC cycling risk indicator has decreased by 73% over the last decade even as the number of cyclists has increased substantially.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...-indicator.pdf

And as (hopefully) more streets are closed to car use, and converted into pedestrian walkways and bicycle lanes, and more people take to the streets on two wheels, cycling in NY will get even safer.
Safety in numbers is a very well known and proven method to increase safety.
That's why in more evolved societies (think Northern European cities) bicycle accidents are comparatively very small.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
And the cure SO pertinent to so many discussions:
GET RID OF THE CABS.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And the cure SO pertinent to so many discussions:
GET RID OF THE CABS.
I wish they would get rid of cars period in manhattan! Trucks they can keep for deliveries

Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I wish they would get rid of cars period in manhattan! Trucks they can keep for deliveries
I think the city should ban cars from particular corridors, not really a borough wide ban. Two that come to mind right now:

•FiDi (Though this seems to be happening on it's own due to security concerns).
•Broadway (From the Battery Park to Columbus Circle). Come on already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City