Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,400 times

Advertisements

My home base is in Manhattan, but my job is up in Red Hook, NY (Note: not Red Hook, Brooklyn). I rent a small studio in Rhinebeck, NY where I stay during the workweek, and go back to Manhattan on the weekends.

Maybe this is totally crazy, but I'm considering ditching the upstate apartment and commuting from Manhattan to Red Hook, NY daily. I have a car, so I could drive, but it's about 96 miles each way. So I'm wondering how feasible it is to take Metro-North, use permit parking at Metro-North stop close to Red Hook, NY (probably Poughkeepsie), and drive from the stop to my office. And reverse the process for the trip home.

But two questions remain:

1. There is a wait-list for the three closest stops to Red Hook (Poughkeepsie, New Hamburg, and Beacon), so I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how long it would take to get a permit?

2. Are there limits to how long you can leave your car in a permit space? I know some stations allow for 24-hour permits

Or is there an alternative I'm just not thinking of? The Amtrak monthly pass to Rhinecliff seems too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
Thats insane , whats the need to live in NYC? You could live in a peacefull or artsy hudson river town like Cold Spring or Poughkeepsie or Beacon then commute up and then on weekends visit the city. The Commuting costs if you drive will be high and so will Rail , Amtrak is Intercity so its more expensive. Its for traveling in replacement of a plane or driving.... Metro North is about 2 and half hrs from GCT and then another 45mins to Red Hook by Subway. Its not worth it , either way it will cost you between 400 and 1500 a month if you decide to commute from up there.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,989,803 times
it's costing him a lot more than that- the city income tax.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,253,685 times
Time is money too. What’s the point of being in the city if you have no time to enjoy it? You won’t be back in time to see a show or go to a great restaurant. It’s just a very expensive crash pad. If you do three days and telecommute for two it might be worth it. I’d get a cheap place in Red Hook and a hotel in the city on weekends.

By the way, there are some part-time roommate situations on CraigsList. Some people work in the city but have a country house. They want to share with a roommate who’s only there on weekends, or vice versa. It might be a option.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
it's costing him a lot more than that- the city income tax.
Also car insurance would probably cost more if the insurance is currently in Rhinebeck and gets changed to the Manhattan address.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,593,656 times
Try to find a gig in the city. I work in Hudson Valley area and absolutely hate it. I absolutely hate leaving the city and despise driving to work. But the job I have pays good so I have to stay until something better opens. There is not one hudson valley town that compares to living in NYC. Beacon sucks....Cold Spring sucks.....poughkeepsie sucks...

OP, I feel your pain. I think 97 miles is a bit much, but if you can afford it I say go for the move to the city. Life is too short to be live in a place that you despise.

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City