Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM

111 posts, read 238,847 times

Advertisements

Hello! My dream is to get my masters in business administration at Columbia University. Columbia is an IVY League school so it will be hard to get into. I got a 3.0 GPA through highschool, and I'll probably end College with a 3.7-3.8. I will be graduating with my AA Degree from a community college in spring 2014 and hopefully from Baruch College in NYC in 2015. I have also held a full time job since I was 17 and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. My parents make good money, but I'll probably have to pay for Columbia out of my own pocket. I won't have any loans until I get to Columbia, so I will probably be in good debt after Columbia.

So I have a few Qustions
Is it worth it going to an IVY league school for business?
What other things can I do to counter my relatively low GPA?
Any personal accounts from Columbia JSPers about how you like the school would really help!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,992,333 times
> Is it worth it going to an IVY league school for business?

Yes.

You need to bust your ass at whatever job you get out of school, get 750+ on the GMAT, and have some hook that makes you attractive to add to the student body- an amazing entrepreneurship experience or something,

CC+Baruch will not kill your chances but will put you at a disadvantage. You won't get in through the typical route- Wall Street or corporate job, so you will need to stand out through other means.

Thinking about it, the best way for you to get into Columbia MBA is to forget about Baruch and the NYC attraction and get into an undergrad business school after CC like Virginia or Michigan.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,890,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
Any personal accounts from Columbia JSPers about how you like the school would really help!
What is "JSP" ?
I have a degree from the college and two GSAS professional degrees.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post

Thinking about it, the best way for you to get into Columbia MBA is to forget about Baruch and the NYC attraction and get into an undergrad business school after CC like Virginia or Michigan.
I do not know so much about business programs, but instinctively somehow would think this is good advice.

I can add - most professional programs are favoring a strong undergraduate degree in anything that establishes a solid humanities background. Including medical schools.

Specialization from birth is over. Ability to navigate ethical systems and to think critically are on.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM

8,632 posts, read 11,001,900 times
waiting for jcoltrane for his great insight!!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,609,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I do not know so much about business programs, but instinctively somehow would think this is good advice.

I can add - most professional programs are favoring a strong undergraduate degree in anything that establishes a solid humanities background. Including medical schools.

Specialization from birth is over. Ability to navigate ethical systems and to think critically are on.
I agree strongly with this. Undergrad business degrees are, if anything, kind of looked down on. I don't think any Ivy except Penn even has an undergrad business program.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I agree strongly with this. Undergrad business degrees are, if anything, kind of looked down on. I don't think any Ivy except Penn even has an undergrad business program.
I didn't want to say it outright ...
So I am glad you did.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,556,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post

I disagree that they are looked down on. I work in finance at one of the largest international companies and we hire hundreds of undergrad business majors from target schools into our analyst programs. There a few art/history majors mixed it but it's predominantly bachelor's in business that we look for. These programs also focus on internal promotion of these analysts into other programs (including post-MBA programs, waiving the pre-requirement for them to have an MBA). But we rely heavily on these analyst program hires across our products/businesses.

I also have to say that in my experience, most undergrad business majors were also required to take courses in a wide variety of other fields, including science, art, history, etc. Many also minored or double-majored in another field.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I disagree that they are looked down on. I work in finance at one of the largest international companies and we hire hundreds of undergrad business majors from target schools into our analyst programs. There a few art/history majors mixed it but it's predominantly bachelor's in business that we look for. These programs also focus on internal promotion of these analysts into other programs (including post-MBA programs, waiving the pre-requirement for them to have an MBA). But we rely heavily on these analyst program hires across our products/businesses.

I also have to say that in my experience, most undergrad business majors were also required to take courses in a wide variety of other fields, including science, art, history, etc. Many also minored or double-majored in another field.
And these people move to the top ?
Or remain at middle-ish - at best.
I am guessing the latter and this will be more the case in the future.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,992,333 times
The advice is poster-specific. A 3.9 HS student with a anthropology degree from Yale will do great on Wall St. in the build-up to an MBA.

This person gives us community college- telling him to get a liberal arts degree from a faceless place to make him look like 2m other grads that year won't get him on the route to Columbia MBA. He needs access to a decent undergrad business school to get access to firms recruiting at those schools for jobs that give him access to Columbia MBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City