Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
F you. Some people like us need public assistance to get by. If you want us all out, fine. Watch your quality of life go way down without the help blue collar folks bring you. Anyone who wants to tear down the PJs and make another millionaires-only district can go back to wherever they came from, cause real New Yorkers don't got that mentality.
And following that logic, people in the housing projects can go back to where they came from as well. No ine is any more or less a real New Yorker than anyone.

And a man who cut a number of social programs in NYC, Giuliani, was born and bred here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Try raising kids and paying rent in NYC even with a unionized blue collar job. If you can pull it off, then make your comments.
Why are you having children if you are on public assistance?

I'm all for temporary assistance for people who fall on hard times but the key word is TEMPORARY! Several years at most. I'm not against people who use it that truly NEED it. I am against people who use it and never leave it...

Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why are you having children if you are on public assistance?

I'm all for temporary assistance for people who fall on hard times but the key word is TEMPORARY! Several years at most. I'm not against people who use it that truly NEED it. I am against people who use it and never leave it...
Exactly!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
New York isn't only for reach people, and it shouldn't be either. Giuliani and now Bloomberg want to turn us into another Singapore. Have fun getting caned for chewing gum.
I understand ***** happens. You have a couple of kids and maybe didn't finish school. Here's the problem. At some point this City or Country cannot keep up with all the entitlements. Whether it's tax breaks for corporations or free lifeline phones. free housing or record number of people on WIC. Take a hard look at Europe right now. The whole place besides Germany is a mess. Greece, Italy and Spain are in financial mess.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
F you. Some people like us need public assistance to get by. If you want us all out, fine. Watch your quality of life go way down without the help blue collar folks bring you. Anyone who wants to tear down the PJs and make another millionaires-only district can go back to wherever they came from, cause real New Yorkers don't got that mentality.

There is nothing wrong with being on public assistance "temporarily" for x amount of time until one improves him or her self, however its wrong when people abuse the public assistance system that tax payers pay for that is designed to assist folks during rough times and also used to help uplift folks from near poverty until they are ready to bow out of the system. However those that are on and abuse public assistance live and breed off of it, and live in a cycle of hand me down poverty that continues to perpetuate with their offsprings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Two kids, two cars, a dog and a mortgage. City job, and my wife stays home. We're pretty comfortable actually. May I comment now?

See Harlem Resident's posts in this thread, because they explain lives like mine fairly well. Make the correct choices along the way and you'll make it just fine without government assistance. Until then, you're welcome I suppose, even though I prefer not to be giving you my tax dollars. I could use more of MY money for my kids instead.
Even if NYC got rid of NYCHA your tax dollars will still be used for something else anyway. Its funny that you also work for the city, tax payers also pay for you to live, pay for your pension, health insurance, etc while those that be cry about stop and frisk, poor subway service, smelly streets, etc.

Family Guy - Adam West say : "WHAT?!" - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Dont have kids if you can't afford them. Real New Yorkers dont take handouts.
This is the root of the problem here in NYC. And its not even teen pregnancy that is the problem. Its twenty something NYC women who have kids out of wedlock and know they don't want to be together to raise a child. The decline of the middle class in America and NYC is caused by the destruction of the family. Instead of having an high earning bread winner with a stay at home mom or dual working parents, one is left with a mother who has to work long hours but also use her pay to help raise a child or children. Often in cases like this many single moms will apply for housing assistance, food stamps and or Medicaid to get by. This is the reason why I try to stay single here in the city. It aint worth it to simp to be with a woman who wont be with you forever. City needs to fix the unwed mother situation before it gets worse.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/fin...sCdXvVBbTl6hdK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I know teachers and cops who have bought houses in NYC, and those are unionized jobs. And yes, they have kids.
Can those teachers and police officers afford coops, and condos in core parts of the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I'm a born and raised New Yawker, I disagree with your whole ghetto mentality.
I agree with you on this and I too dislike ghetto mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And following that logic, people in the housing projects can go back to where they came from as well. No ine is any more or less a real New Yorker than anyone.

And a man who cut a number of social programs in NYC, Giuliani, was born and bred here.
I would not say that, plenty of people did alright and came out of the projects like Barbra Striesand with her beautiful angelic voice, the CEO of Starbucks whos brand is symbolic for gentrification nationwide, Justice Sotomayor and many others. Like marriage for better or worse, America and NYC for better or worse would be a very different place without NYCHA.

Quote:
New York isn't only for reach people, and it shouldn't be either. Giuliani and now Bloomberg want to turn us into another Singapore. Have fun getting caned for chewing gum.
NYC is turning into another Hong Kong. In order for NYC to become a Singapore, NYC needs to declare itself independent from the USA. It would be treason if NYC does this. Hell one marine can kill ten NYPD officers. Last time NYC politicians tried to break away from the country it resulted in the deaths of nearly thousands of New Yorkers by soldiers fresh from driving Robert E Lee back to Dixie. Singapore is a city state and independent country. NYC is a city with five counties part of the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I understand ***** happens. You have a couple of kids and maybe didn't finish school. Here's the problem. At some point this City or Country cannot keep up with all the entitlements. Whether it's tax breaks for corporations or free lifeline phones. free housing or record number of people on WIC. Take a hard look at Europe right now. The whole place besides Germany is a mess. Greece, Italy and Spain are in financial mess.
Germany is doing alright, Angela Merkel is doing a great job managing Germany's economy. Merkel is one Iron Lady. As for Southern Europe much of it is a failure due plenty of construction over the past decade. Greece and Italy created much of the Western World in thought, administration, philosophy, theology and now look at these two countries now. Spain once the premier global super power for 300 years is now a shadow of its former self. One day America will be just like Spain, broken. Just hope that you and I wont be able to see it someday.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-13-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 PM

39 posts, read 68,104 times
I hate it when people act like poor folks shouldn't be allowed to have kids. What are you, a eugenicist? Just another way NYC is turning into Singapore.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I hate it when people act like poor folks shouldn't be allowed to have kids. What are you, a eugenicist? Just another way NYC is turning into Singapore.
A part of a parent's JOB is to be ABLE to take care of their own children.

There's nothing wrong with a poor person having children, providing they can afford to feed and otherwise take care of them.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Why the H*LL do you want to have children if you are poor???
That is one of the most selfish things one can do. Bringing children into this world without the means to provide for them and setting up a good life were their children can succeed in life.
From day one you children are at a disadvantage. Why would you want to do that to them?
Pure and simple if you can't afford children don't bring them into this world, they don't deserve to grow up poor and needy because you just had to reproduce. They didn't ask to be brought into this world.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is the root of the problem here in NYC. And its not even teen pregnancy that is the problem. Its twenty something NYC women who have kids out of wedlock and know they don't want to be together to raise a child. The decline of the middle class in America and NYC is caused by the destruction of the family. Instead of having an high earning bread winner with a stay at home mom or dual working parents, one is left with a mother who has to work long hours but also use her pay to help raise a child or children. Often in cases like this many single moms will apply for housing assistance, food stamps and or Medicaid to get by. This is the reason why I try to stay single here in the city. It aint worth it to simp to be with a woman who wont be with you forever. City needs to fix the unwed mother situation before it gets worse.

Finally! City to tackle unwed-mom epidemic - m.NYPOST.com

Can those teachers and police officers afford coops, and condos in core parts of the city?
The teachers and cops that I know who are homeowners do so in Staten Island, Eastern Queens, and North Bronx. Of course people on these salaries don't buy homes in Chelsea. DUH!

I think you're putting way too much blame on women. Yes, there's birth control, but at the same point, where are these men who got them pregnant?

The decline of the middle class caused by single mothers?

No. Obviously, if these women had very unstable lives (ditto for the men who got them pregnant) they were far from middle class. They're coming from backgrounds where both the women and men have high of unemployment, incarceration, etc. It was really made possible by concentration poor people together in massive projects.
'
As for the city fixing the unwed mother situation, what do you want them go to around sterilizing people? Its literally not the city's job to get into people's relationship issues or personal issues. I'm no fan of indefinite welfare, but beyond that you're on your own as to how you live your life.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Poor can make families, they are human too. The thing is this poor can have a kid but kids is another story. Parent needs to back up their wallets and purses if they plan on having multiple kids. Having to many mouthes to feed and backs to clothes plus yourself can be a burden where spplying for govt assistance becomes a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City