Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I am of course in favor, but this will never happen here and I understand why.

I think absolute disapproval of this lifestyle could be somewhat effective. But it is sanctioned in their own social group, "the way we do things."

If you read the "NYCHA" threads - comment after comment about me and my daughter. I had my next daughter. I got pregnant while waiting for NYCHA, now my son is born ...

I dare you to post comments there ! They become belligerent and vicious and won't listen anyway.
Why do you keep having children you can't afford without relying on taxpayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What would you rather, your tax dollars go to help support the poor with housing instead of them living on the street, or your tax dollars go to student federal loan program in which millions of Americans who can not afford to repay student their loans dragging down the nations credit rating, creating one of the biggest loan bubbles since the housing crash half a decade ago and lastly dragging down the country into ever more poverty, while going to college was supposed to lift people out of poverty? Some of the loans will never be repaid and it was paid by your tax dollars.
Neither. In both of those cases people made choices. It is not my responsibility to pay for them. The loans will be repaid by keeping tax returns forever.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
But why dump them ? Why not figure out ways to reach them, to encourage them to improve their lives ?
In a sense it is a social problem that all own. Some more than others, but still.
I know that this will not happen in our current climate. Indeed, things will move in the opposite direction and could get ugly.
Why not expect them to figure out how to improve their lives on their own? Is personal responsibility too much to ask of people these days?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They can't, the generational welfare people. They don't know what to do or how to go about it.
This is my experience.
Working class people are simply being priced out, things beyond their control, and it is truly unfortunate.
Take away the benefits and they'll figure it out really quickly.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
F you. Some people like us need public assistance to get by. If you want us all out, fine. Watch your quality of life go way down without the help blue collar folks bring you. Anyone who wants to tear down the PJs and make another millionaires-only district can go back to wherever they came from, cause real New Yorkers don't got that mentality.
You don't need anything other than to work harder and make smart choices in your life. Unless you have a significant physical or mental disability, there is no excuse.

Signed,

A "Real" New Yorker who actually understands that if you want something in your life , you need to work for it, not stick out your hand.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Try raising kids and paying rent in NYC even with a unionized blue collar job. If you can pull it off, then make your comments.
Try not having kids you can't afford. Abortion is legal and free/low cost birth control is readily available in NYC.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I hate it when people act like poor folks shouldn't be allowed to have kids. What are you, a eugenicist? Just another way NYC is turning into Singapore.
Being a parent is a privilege, not a right. If you can't afford them, you don't have the right to have them and expect the rest of us to pay for them.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrl13 View Post
People choose NyCHa because they don't want to do exactly what you did. Moving from neighborhood to neighborhood because of the rise in rent. Plus NYCHA is secure if anyone were to ever lose there job. Imagine getting a lease on an apartment and u lose your job. Is the landlord going to lower your rent? Of course not. NYCHA will. At least they work with people. Not all NYCHA buildings are bad either.
So people lose a job and then expect the taxpayer to suck it up and cover even more of their rent instead of relying on their savings and unemployment to make up the difference? BS.

Can't find a job? Clean toilets, dig ditches, work a pole, commute two hours each way, this is not the taxpayers problem.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
We weren't on welfare growing up. Just living in the PJs. You don't need to be on welfare to live in the PJs. Public housing maintenance barely costs the taxpayer a dime. I should know, the Elliott houses in Chelsea were a WRECK growing up. It wasn't EASY to get a job in the 70s, 80s and 90s when I was a girl. Let alone a well paying one. My mom went through hell and back trying to support me. Plenty of hard working people live in the PJs, not just a bunch of lazy people who don't want to work.
Wrong. The operating expenses for NYCHA for FY 2013 is $3.139 Billion. Tenant rental revenue is only 29%. 8% comes from commercial rents and other revenues. The rest is taxpayer dollars--almost $2 Billion.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Interesting how I don't think one person in this thread questions why NYCHA keeps extending the leases. If tenants were not allowed to renew after 10 years this would simply solve the problem.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City