Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYCHA has a massive backlog of repairs. Tell me how it it better to live in a building where things don't get fixed? How's it better to live in a place that's laying off employees who maintain the space? How's it better to live in a crime infested hell hole? How's it better to keep yourself poor enough to be in NYCHA?
Make it intolerable and they'll find a way to leave on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's exactly what's happening with the federal cutbacks to NYCHA. There will be no summer maintenance staff hired for NYCHA now, due budget cuts, along with 500 NYCHA employees laid off. Along with rising rents.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
DAS, you can come out of the closet and admit you're on government programs yourself, and the fear of losing them is just too horrible for you to contemplate.

Its why you would argue against any and all evidence, because you are arguing about what you want to happen, not what is happening. You would come up with any and all excuses in favor of said programs, because quite clearly you are benefitting from them.

Either you work in the system, or you're on it.
I'm doing quite well, thanks for mentioning that. I just like debating after I gather my facts. The NYC forum is the best on this site. No other forum enjoys the debates like we do. It doesn't matter to me who is right or wrong, all sides should be able to put their thoughts on a subject out there and let the readers decide. That is all that I'm doing. Putting another side out there.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Ok lets just say for arguments sake it becomes intolerable and everyone leaves, over 400,000 official residents. Which is about 5% of the population. The largest public housing in North America, they all leave. What do we do with the buildings?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Ok lets just say for arguments sake it becomes intolerable and everyone leaves, over 400,000 official residents. Which is about 5% of the population. The largest public housing in North America, they all leave. What do we do with the buildings?
The worst of them should be razed. They can use the space for parks or community gardens.

I do feel that a small percentage of the best should be used for the disabled, or perhaps senior housing. As was suggested earlier in this thread, they could also use the buildings in decent shape as housing at cost for teachers, cops, firefighters, EMS, etc. Figure out the cost of maintaining the buildings, add in 5% for regular rehabs and upgrades, and split that on a per square foot basis between all units to come up with the rent.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The NYC forum is the best on this site.
Do you really believe that ? !

There are currently more than a few serious trolls here and more than a few real crazies.
Some of the more interesting people have disappeared for a bit, perhaps for that reason - actually, someone said that.

People holding forth in the direction of things about which they are clearly absolutely ignorant, and with such confidence ... becomes a bore. And I don't think that means anything like "debate." More like bizarre personal axes to grind and minds turned on "off" and then closed, firmly.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:42 PM

38 posts, read 51,012 times
Quote:
Boo freaking hoo. I lived in suburban NJ and worked near Union Square, with a 3.5 hour commute every day. People need to get over themselves and stop thinking that they are entitled to anything.
Should I look down for being stupid/ a loser for having a job which couldnl't afford you to live less than 3.5 hours from work?
Why are you working at place which such a lousy salary ?
You sound like a go getter , couldnt you find a job and a partner so you can be making 12k + net each month like the combined income of my husband and myself?

People who are dreaming of a "poor free" NYC are beyond idiotic such place doesnt exist .
In the real world when there no social security / social housing you you have megacities like Bombay with people living in slums. Maybe thats what you want NY to look like.

Again how much do you think a cashier at your local CVS is earning or the guy making your starbucks coffee?
Should they leave NYC too?

I think people should be on welfare only on a temporary basis it is no ideal way of living.
I am more concerned with my taxes being spent on stupid wars or billions being given to failed and dishonest bankers to spend as bonuses than obssessed with poor people receiving aid so then can have access to basic standards of living in the number 1 country in the world.
A governement which collect taxes but cannot offer a safety net in terms of public services to its citizens in need is a failure.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimaSaleh View Post
Should I look down for being stupid/ a loser for having a job which couldnl't afford you to live less than 3.5 hours from work?
You sound like a go getter , couldnt you find a job and a partner so you can be making 12k + net each month like the combined income of my husband and myself?

People who are dreaming of a "poor free" NYC are beyond idiotic such place doesnt exist .
In the real world when there no social security / social housing you you have megacities like Bombay with people living in slums. Maybe thats what you want NY to look like.

Again how much do you think a cashier at your local CVS is earning or the guy making your starbucks coffee?

I think people should be on welfare only on a temporary basis it is no ideal way of living.
I am more concerned with my taxes being spent on stupid wars or billions being given to failed and dishonest bankers to spend as bonuses than obssessed with poor people receiving aid so then can have access to basic standards of living in the number 1 country in the world.
A governement which collect taxes but cannot offer a safety net in terms of public services to its citizens in need is a failure.
But not for everyone ! That's the point.
More puzzling is - how do they get people to agree to this ? And furthermore, how do they get them to argue with such nastiness against attempts to present a different perspective ?

Regarding your CVS cashier - I assure you that your intended audience does indeed think that they should leave.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

A lot of the people working in Starbucks are younger people and are living with family or roommates. CVS employees vary in terms of what they make (presumably they make more in the pharmacy). Many of them maybe living with relatives or roommates as well. That's just the reality of that.

Some people do get into various forms of affordable housing, but to do that honestly can take YEARS. The hole point of this thread is that if its going to take your 10 years to qualify for public or some other form of affordable housing, you could have done whatever it took to better your life. Why build your entire life on trying to get some sort of program housing, which is in pretty short supply anyway in NYC? And due to NYCHA cutbacks, its going to be in much shorter supply.

No one here suggested there should be a poor free NYC. They expressed happiness that the welfare complex in NYC is being cut ,because it is not OUR job as taxpayers to subsidize poor people from all around the world. NY,when it was more generous with welfare, attracted poor people from all around the world. As a result, crime went up. And lets not even pretend that its not racial/ethnic as well. Currently, the underclass in NYC is disproportionately Black and Hispanic. A number of Whites and Asians complain about having to pay taxes for these people.

And make no mistake, it is no walk in the park living near lots of poor people on public assistance. I'm Black. I remember Lefrak City before it became LeCrack City. Originally Lefrak City housed middle income working people, most of whom were white . There were Blacks and Hispanics there (middle class, working people). But there was a discrimination Lawsuit against Lefrak saying that they disproportionately screened out Blacks and Hispanics. So Lefrak City began taking in Section 8 tenants. Crime went up, including violent crime. The whites moved out. Then everyone Black or Hispanic who could afford to left. Lefrak City became a truly horrible place, and not just because of crime. Crackheads urinated and defecated in the stairwell. Ask people in NYC about the behavior of Section 8 people and what its like to living in a building with people on government programs. In fact, since you live the poor so much, why don't you move into housing that takes government programs in Brownsville, the poorest neighborhood in NYC.

I will tell you that you may not get deliveries in Brownsville, as postmen, UPS, and Fedex often won't deliver to buildings because they have been robbed so many times. If you move there, with all those people in and out of jail there I hope you go everywhere with a gun, as I'm sure you don't want to be mugged or raped. The problem with people like you is your looking at poor people at a very kitchisifed cause. Kitch is basically a tacky, sympathetic cute little cause. Like save the whales. Save the poor in NYC from mean conservatives and big companies. Try dealing with the poor.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 AM

208 posts, read 464,106 times
Quote:

When you move to NYC look for a place in East Harlem and send you children to a local public school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City