Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,737 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a job in New York.

What sort of salary would I need to be able to afford a 2-3 bedroom house in the suburbs? Might just be me working.

Also where would be good to live? We (me + husband) are quite outdoorsy so would like to be near somewhere we could walk a dog (e.g. forest or open green spaces or beach). Ideally would like 1 hour commute by train or bus.

Might rent initally in central New York - again where would be a good area? (my job is in Manhattan). Again what salary would I need to rent in/near Manhattan?

What's Long Island like price wise and is this an OK neighbourhood?

Anything else we should consider.

Thanks
Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
FOREST???? In NY suburbs? I don't think that's a reality. Beaches are, to a great extent, private or restricted to a community and most don't allow dogs on them.

Where in NY will you be working (East Side or West Side)? I ask because it makes a difference in how you'll commute to the city and where you end up. Long Island (which I really don't care for) and New Jersey get you to the West Side, while Westchester and Connecticut get you to the East Side. Rockland County, in my opinion, has less than optimal transportation, which is why the houses might be less expensive. What is your budget and how far are you willing to commute in terms of time of trip?

BTW, 'central NY' is considered Syracuse....so that's not really what you're talking about, right?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
FOREST???? In NY suburbs? I don't think that's a reality. Beaches are, to a great extent, private or restricted to a community and most don't allow dogs on them.

Where in NY will you be working (East Side or West Side)? I ask because it makes a difference in how you'll commute to the city and where you end up. Long Island (which I really don't care for) and New Jersey get you to the West Side, while Westchester and Connecticut get you to the East Side. Rockland County, in my opinion, has less than optimal transportation, which is why the houses might be less expensive. What is your budget and how far are you willing to commute in terms of time of trip?

BTW, 'central NY' is considered Syracuse....so that's not really what you're talking about, right?
hi im thinking of moving to america as an option for when im older, i was thinking LA Or NY but i need help on where abouts in New York? no to exspensive, popular with lots of things to do. please let me know of any suggestions.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:42 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbiie-x3 View Post
hi im thinking of moving to america as an option for when im older, i was thinking LA Or NY but i need help on where abouts in New York? no to exspensive, popular with lots of things to do. please let me know of any suggestions.
Are you able to obtain a visa through any route other than employment? Because if not then location may be to an extent decided for you depending on how you are able to go about securing an employment-based visa.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
If you're going to move to New York City, at least be open-minded about all five boroughs. It is not engraved in stone that anyone resettling here has to live in Manhattan.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM

175 posts, read 549,824 times
"What's Long Island like price wise and is this an OK neighbourhood?"

LOL. Long island is the size of some states! Pretty close anyway. It's like asking whether Iowa is a good neighborhood. As a general rule, a nice house in the 'burbs with a reasonably short commute to NYC in a good area will cost you more than $1 million. If you want to get any kind of advice, you need to tell us more about where you are going to work and how much you can afford.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you're going to move to New York City, at least be open-minded about all five boroughs. It is not engraved in stone that anyone resettling here has to live in Manhattan.
Manhattan is prob the most expensive boro to live in, so yeah def. be willing to expand your horizons. People overseas automatically assume that when I say I live in "New York" that I really mean the city. There are other parts to "New York" than Manhattan. New York as a state is HUGE.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebit View Post
I've been offered a job in New York.

What sort of salary would I need to be able to afford a 2-3 bedroom house in the suburbs? Might just be me working.

Also where would be good to live? We (me + husband) are quite outdoorsy so would like to be near somewhere we could walk a dog (e.g. forest or open green spaces or beach). Ideally would like 1 hour commute by train or bus.

Might rent initally in central New York - again where would be a good area? (my job is in Manhattan). Again what salary would I need to rent in/near Manhattan?

What's Long Island like price wise and is this an OK neighbourhood?

Anything else we should consider.

Thanks
Liz
Long Island is composed of many different neighbourhoods, some beautiful & some crappy...you really have to look around. The cheaper the house, probbaly the crappier the neighbourhood. LI as a whole is a very expensive area to live in. The cheapest houses on LI would cost you half the price in other parts of the country. I have a friend who rents in DE for $400 a month. You can't find that find that price anywhere in NY Metro area or LI.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
To the OP - To give you some perspective, take a compass centered on Manhattan and extend the marker out to White Plains to the NE and make a circle. This will give you approx the area that would be within an hour's commute. This entire area is heavily populated, most is very urban in nature.

Syracuse and Central NY are a day's drive from there. Not a realistic consideration for your commute.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
To the OP - To give you some perspective, take a compass centered on Manhattan and extend the marker out to White Plains to the NE and make a circle. This will give you approx the area that would be within an hour's commute. This entire area is heavily populated, most is very urban in nature.

Syracuse and Central NY are a day's drive from there. Not a realistic consideration for your commute.
You forgot to mention the formers being VERY expensive to boot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City