Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 20,586 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I just wanted to see if anyone else has started the interview process for the 260 W 26th Street lottery. I will be on here to provide updates on my application process and would love to hear updates on how everyone else is doing as well.

To begin my story, I applied back in December for a studio apartment after seeing a flyer for the housing application in my apartments. The deadline was Jan 30th and 2 months later I have received an email saying that I have been accepted to interview for further processing. I also received a letter in the mail later with the same information. I set up my interview within that same week as I wanted to interview as soon as possible to increase my chances. I gathered all the required paperwork (employment letter, proof of rent payment, lease agreement, paystubs, W-2's, taxes, phone bill, and bank account statements), filed them neatly into a folder and went nervously to interview. I have heard a lot of horror stories with the interview process so I was really stressed on making sure everything was right. Turns out I was nervous for NOTHING. The interviewer was really nice and answered any questions I had. To start the interview he looked through my application and made sure everything was still valid. He then went through the checklist (list of required documents) to make sure I brought everything. The first thing he looked at were my paystubs to add up my gross income to make sure I qualified. At home I calculated that I make 23,192 by adding up 6 of my recent checks, dividing them by 6 to get the average, and multiplying by 26. The interviewer came up with something around the same, but I remember him saying that since I have overtime on some of my paychecks he would take the highest paycheck and use that as the average. I was still a little nervous at this point, so I do not remember exactly how he calculated my income, but it came out around the same as what I calculated (23 thousand something dollars). After this he said he was ok to move on and collect the rest of my documents. When it came to my W-2's he noticed that I had two other jobs in 2012 (before I moved to NY) so he said that I would need to write a letter stating I no longer receive income from these jobs and then have it notorized and bring it back to him within 2 weeks. I told him I would have it back to him on monday and he said ok, just give him a call before I came to drop it off to make sure he was there and we moved on.

The next step was the credit check and this is what I was most nervous about because I have over 40,000 in student loans and recently found out that I have two collections for tickets. I didn't know about these tickets until I did my yearly credit check the previous week. I stayed in DC with my parents over the summer, where they have picture ticketing. Since I just graduated college and have been moving around a lot, I never received the tickets in the mail and they sent them to collections. My interviewer told me the loans are nothing to worry about because it's "good credit", but the tickets he would like for me to go ahead and get that taken care of. Other than this he said my credit looks good, I meet the income requirements, and he is happy to move on with my application. I asked him about how long this will take and he said two weeks, so I am really excited about that as I am so ready to move. I also asked him for an average of rent payments and he said $500-$600 a month.

This is my story and I will keep everyone updated on my progression. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Aribella; 04-13-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM

16 posts, read 34,596 times
sounds great! is this the apartment building that is on 26th and 8th ave that was a parking lot? good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
How terrific for you.

Like April, I searched Google maps but found only the parking lot. But their website shows it to be pretty snazzy. Streeteasy shows a great deal of move-ins for March and April but of course only the market rate rents are listed, Studios: about $3000, 1 Br: $4000-$5000, 2Br: $6000-$7000.

You did GOOD!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM

Yes it is and yes, it used to be a parking lot, but now they are finishing up. I'm really crossing my fingers and praying that everything goes well. As an update, I dropped of the rest of the paperwork he asked for and he said he'll send it over to management this week and from there it will go to the city for approval. If everything goes well I hope to have a lease in two weeks. I am truly grateful for this program and if all goes well this will be my opportunity to get on my feet.

I went to the apartments on my own one day and the lady was happy to show me the studios. They were really nice and had more space than a lot of the studios I've seen. Reviews say they will be finished in April, it looks far from being finished. She said people were already moving in and they were offering 1 month of free rent for those who moved in early.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 16,635 times
Default I just went for my interview process yesterday!

Hi Aribella

Thank for the in depth information, I wish I read your article before yesterday LOL! I must admit I was nervous as well, my interviewer wasn't as friendly, he was very serious and to the point. All of my documents we good I just have to provide a copy of my 2012 taxes as well as W-2 and employment verification letter which was faxed this morning. My only question is in 2012 I didn't make enough, but I got a raise and my current paystubs reflect that I am eligible. Have you heard anything about how they view your taxes? When will you know if your accepted and do you get to see more than one apt before you choose?

Well any info you can provide would be great, maybe we will be neighbors

Thanks

Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I live a block away and that building looks really nice. Your roof deck (which I hope you have access to) and amenities are especially nice in the renderings I saw. The market rents in that building are quite high actually. There is a massive retail space on the first floor and it will be interesting to see what ends up there.

New Chelsea NYC Apartments for Rent | ChelseaParkRentals.com

Good luck with your application process. If you get in, make up some story about a six figure income or a trust fund to keep your nosy neighbors from getting bitter. I'm serious. Lot's of class warfare in buildings like that.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
Roofdeck and amenities in that neighborhood? Christ. That's a luxury no hard worker in the middle class can ever afford. Must be nice

Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM

ChefKimberly,

Finally another applicant! I'm not sure what they use the tax information for, maybe for the background check portion. I didn't make enough last year to qualify either or even live in this state. From other reviews I've read, I believe they only base your income on what you are making right now.

As an update, I have not heard anything back yet. I've been calling since last week to see if I can get an update, but they have been really busy with interviews. I called anxiously again today and was asked if I could try calling again tomorrow because my interviewer wasn't there and he is the only one that can give me info about my application. I'm not worried yet though cause it hasn't even been the two weeks that he projected and I haven't received any letters. I hear that letters are bad because it most likely means you've been rejected.

As far as choosing the apartment, I'm pretty sure they choose for you based on what apartment size you qualify for. It's a take it or leave it, on to the next kind of deal. Which I don't mind at all. I'll take whatever I can get. Good luck to you and I'll continue to post any further news!

Barkomatic

Thank you for the good wishes and advice. I do worry about the reaction of my neighbors and management knowing that I will be a low income tenant. I'm a pretty private person, so I just planned to keep to myself and not offer that kind of information. Since I work in the fashion industry maybe I can offer that little bit of info if I am asked and leave the rest to assumption. Hopefully that will work.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 16,635 times
Hey Aribella,

Thanks for responding So I called my interviewer to ask do I have to come in person to bring the rest of the documents? He said no I can fax them, so I will fax over all my final docs tomorrow morning.

I agree with Barkomatic DO NOT TELL ANYONE YOUR BUSINESS!!! It NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!! You work in the Fashion Industry and you work hard that's all they need to know. As a chef I cook for lots of people in the industry etc.. So trust me keep you little secret to yourself as I will! I would love to meet you especially if we're going to be neighbors I am actually looking for a designer to help me design some female sexy Chef Jackets! Maybe your my girl

Well looks like we are both down to the wire and its going to be a waiting game at this point so I am praying for both of us that 260 West 26st will be OUR NEW HOME

XO
Chef

Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I didn't make enough last year to qualify either or even live in this state.

Aribella,
Did you live out of state last year?
Long ago, I was rejected from one of the first 80/20's for exactly that reason, even after the interviewer said I was IN. Some "board" then said nope...gotta be a state resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City