Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
Just to confirm - a foreigner can become an American and NYer in Queens but a transplant from somewhere else in the country can't become a NYer?
You know what it is? How tiring it is to see the uniform. The white transplant, skinny jeans, fake rat pack hat, black frame glasses, drinking a PBR. This idiot is a guy or girl from somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
I've heard plenty of native New Yorkers talk up the city's diversity. In real life and on this board.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
NYC is diverse to a point. The nature of the city brings people together. Work, the crowded streets, trains etc. But people still choose to segregate themselves mostly.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM

120 posts, read 203,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
You know what it is? How tiring it is to see the uniform. The white transplant, skinny jeans, fake rat pack hat, black frame glasses, drinking a PBR. This idiot is a guy or girl from somewhere else.
I think you are confusing hipsters and transplants. I am a transplant (been here for over 11 years and raising my child here with another on the way) and I am white but I can't fit into skinny jeans, I don't know what a rat pack hat is, I don't have black glasses and I don't like PBR (unless it is free).

Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
I think you are confusing hipsters and transplants. I am a transplant (been here for over 11 years and raising my child here with another on the way) and I am white but I can't fit into skinny jeans, I don't know what a rat pack hat is, I don't have black glasses and I don't like PBR (unless it is free).
Come to the Rockaway's in the summer and see the hipsters pedaling down Flatbush and over the Marine Park bridge.. The rat pack hat is the Frank Sinatra fedora. Yes, your right there is a difference between transplants and hipsters. For instance park Slope is 90% transplants with money.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
It depends.

Most of the Bronx is very diverse and well integrated with Hispanics and Blacks. Almost every time i'm riding the train or driving through there, I see Hispanics and Blacks hanging out with each other. The same could be said with Upper Manhattan.

Based on experience, I would say that the only group that usually have major trouble integrating are Caucasian ethnic groups (especially Italians). It's nothing against them, just saying..
I grew up in the Bronx in a neighborhood that was predominantly Italian at the time (More Albanian now I believe) with a good number of Albanians, Puerto Ricans, Arab Muslims, Eastern European Jews, Indians, Pakistanis, Dominicans, and many others yet we still got along quite well. I wouldn't hammer the Italians, they just dominate the Metro area in heavy concentrations, especially in the suburbs.

People get along well here, one of my favorite things about this city.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, yes, along racial and socioeconomic lines.

With that said, how is Queens not segregated? Eastern Queens has a lot of Middle Class Black Neighborhoods. Howard Beach has a lot of Italians. The Rockaways have sections with a lot of Blacks and Hispanics, a Hasidic Jewish Section, and sections that are mainly Irish Catholic. Jackson Heights and Corona are mainly Hispanic. Elmhurst and Flushing are very Asian. Jackson Heights even has a South Asian section, while the rest of the neighborhood is mostly Hispanic.
- Western Queens (minus Middle Village and Glendale) is extremely diverse. Might be the most diverse place on the planet, you can literally find any nationality here. The population of Western Queens is almost a million, which is very large.
- Elmhurst and Jackson Heights have a lot of Southeast Asian mixing, so I wouldn't call them segregated.
- Corona is largely Spanish speaking, but it has a mix of Dominican and Colombian population, so it's not segregated either.
- Northeast Queens (minus Whitestone) has a lot of Korean, Chinese, and Irish mixing.

Also I agree with others, Italians are the worst at mixing. They just don't seem to date anyone except other Italians and only attend other Italian gatherings. This is also true of Puerto Ricans to an extent

Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
If you look at the census tracts in Jackson Heights, which are only about 10 blocks in size, you will see immense diversity even within a small area. People of all different races are living together.

Census tract 285, which is in the exact center of Jackson Heights has:

Whites 42%
Blacks 2%
Hispanics 39%
Asians 14%

The tract next to that in Jackson Heights, #287, had 31% whites, 2% blacks, 28% Hispanics and, 25% Asians. So in that tract, except for a very low black percentage, the other races are almost perfectly balanced.

The reason everyone thinks Jackson Heights is all South Asian or all Hispanic is because they think when they get off the train at 74th St. (South Asian business area) or 82nd St. (South American business area) that that's what constitutes the entire neighborhood. But that is incorrect.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
The only thing that is diverse that I know of is my ancestral lineage, and having a Hebrew first name, English middle name, a Scotts Irish last name, and, Portuguese saints name. That's what I call diversity.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you look at the census tracts in Jackson Heights, which are only about 10 blocks in size, you will see immense diversity even within a small area. People of all different races are living together.

Census tract 285, which is in the exact center of Jackson Heights has:

Whites 42%
Blacks 2%
Hispanics 39%
Asians 14%

The tract next to that in Jackson Heights, #287, had 31% whites, 2% blacks, 28% Hispanics and, 25% Asians. So in that tract, except for a very low black percentage, the other races are almost perfectly balanced.

The reason everyone thinks Jackson Heights is all South Asian or all Hispanic is because they think when they get off the train at 74th St. (South Asian business area) or 82nd St. (South American business area) that that's what constitutes the entire neighborhood. But that is incorrect.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Henna, Are the bulk of the whites in Jackson Heights living in the Historic area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City