U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM

134 posts, read 160,519 times
Default Mitchell lama application fees

Does it seems to anyone that there seems to be a lot of announcements for Mitchell lamas? I just saw one for the uws (trinity). THey always want a fee of $200. Does anyone feel that they're just collecting fee money for apartments that may never come up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 18,588 times
I have wondered about this myself. I know that $50 is non-refundable (is that correct?) but the other part is refundable.... I guess that would only come into play, however, if you make it to the top of the waiting list but then are not approved because you no longer meet requirements? What if you voluntarily take your name off wait list because you are no longer eligible... would you be able to request a refund?

Do you mind linking to the announcement that you saw for Trinity?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Default Trinity ml

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...Trinity-Ad.pdf

Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 AM

465 posts, read 297,487 times
Thanks for the link.. So now I want to mail out a postcard.. So I have to use an index card with a stamp or is there a special post card I have to buy? They said letters will not be opened. Plz help!

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 18,588 times
Thank you for posting, OP... we know it's Trinity because it's UWS rentals?

Back to your originally point, though... $200 deposit x 600 applicants (300 per apartment size) = $120K.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,400,574 times
It's a common practice in the limited equity co-ops to require a deposit if you get on the list. You may have to wait years, but you'll end up being a homeowner for a tiny fraction of the market rate.

If they want a deposit *prior* to confirmation that you're on the list--I might be a little suspicious of that.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM

11 posts, read 17,660 times
Thank you for the post. How do you know the ad posted is for Trinity Houses? I am not seeing it on the the link provided in terms of the building names. I had applied to 2 upper west side Mitchell Lama apartments. RNA House and Tower West. I spoke with managment and it is a waiting list of 3 to 8 years. I applied in 2011 so I have a long way to go. Does this sounds right to anyone? I am a little hesitate in sending $200 myself.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,017,907 times
Any time you decide to walk away from the application, you can ask for and get the $150 back. Not sure what they are supposed to use the other $50 for? processing fee? credit check (although I think you pay for that after your number coms up.)
Perhaps it's to make sure that only serious people apply.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 17,660 times
Thanks. I am going to submit the postcard and keep my fingers cross.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:42 PM

If you send in the $200 application fee. I urge you to keep your cancelled check, or if your bank doesn't send you back your check request a copy of the cancelled check. Keep a copy of your application. I had a problem getting back my refund for an apartment on the UWS. THe original company that managed the property changed and the new one said I wasn't on the list. I had a copy of my acceptance letter and a copy of the face of the check. THey didn't give me a refund until I produced a copy of the cancelled check. I also had to get Mictchell Lama involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City