Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
They're dirt punks, aka crusties, aka gutter punks.

Here is an informative site about them:

Crustypunks
Oh, come on. Those don't look like authentic street people of any sort. There's an Anthropologie-equivalent where they buy the outfits, right? Probably rent the dog by the day, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
11KAP, Yes!

The mantra for young college grads looking to move to NYC should be önly move with a real job lined up- in this economy having 3-6 months of rent saved up and a place secured (sublet, roommates, lease signed, whatever) is very wise. Also, preperation, preperation and than more preperation. I wasn't prepared as much as I thought and moved here the stupid way- just packed my belongings up after throwing together a plan to settle in with relatives with no job lined up and flew out here- very dumb! All that experience I earned interning in Chicago would just make employers want to hire me on the spot during interviews, right?

Thankfully, I'm lucky I have family out here that I lived with rent free and eventually found an entry leve job (which hopefully will have a salary increase soon?) I'm still trying to stablize myself in the city and I had a bit of an advantage so I can't imagine how it is for people with no family and no freinds here waiting for them... Things would have gone south very fast and like you said can turn into a nighmare. Some people can't even move back in with their parent's for whatever reason (bad terms with family maybe)

mc, that's her. People like them make it hard to tell who's real and who's not. Sad because people who really need help come into a subway car where their faced with jaded cynism (I'm guilty of this too)
agreed, plus a rep.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
got it in portland and here too. well for 20 years they sponged off mom an dad and now trying it out on the public.
young people need a trade the current system is broken. parents sending them all off to college is not working.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Ever notice those bums always seem to have cigarettes? They always have money for their "cigs" if nothing else. then, well, of course they are entitled to free health care.......

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
I noticed some in forest hills recently and some of them look very normal. I do agree that the beggers with the children is going too far. That trend has gone up dramatically and it's a new low. Don't use your child to beg for money!

I also do not understand obese homeless people. They must be doing something right to be eating so well.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
got it in portland and here too. well for 20 years they sponged off mom an dad and now trying it out on the public.
young people need a trade the current system is broken. parents sending them all off to college is not working.
I seriously doubt these kids have gone to college, if they even finished high school. Many of them come from broken homes (yes, that happens to white people too). Its not the system that's broken, its the person that is broken. No one can do anything about it, its up to those kids to figure out what they need to do.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I seriously doubt these kids have gone to college, if they even finished high school. Many of them come from broken homes (yes, that happens to white people too). Its not the system that's broken, its the person that is broken. No one can do anything about it, its up to those kids to figure out what they need to do.
How/why do they end up in NYC though?

I've seen this white guy begging on the Q train in Brooklyn. Obviously on drugs. Obviously from somewhere in middle America. What the hell is he doing in NYC?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I highly doubt they come from broken homes, define a broken home? Is it a home where a child raised in a typical Brooklyn/Bronxite always single mother dominated setting with no daddy around? Or a suburb/rural home with a house picket fence with baby boomer born period mommy and daddy parents who decide to legally divorce after x amount of years being with each other? I have seen my fair share of out of town homeless white folks, I'm not sure if they have a college degree or not because I never asked them, but most of these kids have a Midwestern accent, I even met a homeless chick who was from Ohio. She looked like a typical rustbelt chick, but I could not take it any further, tried to exploit her. I don't know these folks circumstances but we really cant assume they come from broken homes and don't have college degrees. I know plenty of white Transplants, some are very successful, and far more successful than native New Yorkers, but for some not so successful, some depend money and daddy for assistance, some have to acquire service jobs which pays below living wage and above minimum wage, while trying to pay off a hefty tuition bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
How/why do they end up in NYC though?

I've seen this white guy begging on the Q train in Brooklyn. Obviously on drugs. Obviously from somewhere in middle America. What the hell is he doing in NYC?
Thank Gantz plus a rep. I'm trying figure out the same thing myself. There are plenty of jobs back in suburbia. Sheesh I know people who could not get a job here in NYC, moved to the burbs and become employed, and no its not to work at Walmart. I don't know why these folks come to NYC and become homeless. I think the city had a program where they would pay bus tickets for those who want to go back to their native states.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I highly doubt they come from broken homes, define a broken home? Is it a home where a child raised in a typical Brooklyn/Bronxite always single mother dominated setting with no daddy around? Or a suburb/rural home with a house picket fence with baby boomer born period mommy and daddy parents who decide to legally divorce after x amount of years being with each other? I have seen my fair share of out of town homeless white folks, I'm not sure if they have a college degree or not because I never asked them, but most of these kids have a Midwestern accent, I even met a homeless chick who was from Ohio. She looked like a typical rustbelt chick, but I could not take it any further, tried to exploit her. I don't know these folks circumstances but we really cant assume they come from broken homes and don't have college degrees. I know plenty of white Transplants, some are very successful, and far more successful than native New Yorkers, but for some not so successful, some depend money and daddy for assistance, some have to acquire service jobs which pays below living wage and above minimum wage, while trying to pay off a hefty tuition bill.

Thank Gantz plus a rep. I'm trying figure out the same thing myself. There are plenty of jobs back in suburbia. Sheesh I know people who could not get a job here in NYC, moved to the burbs and become employed, and no its not to work at Walmart. I don't know why these folks come to NYC and become homeless. I think the city had a program where they would pay bus tickets for those who want to go back to their native states.
I've written about kids like that, and believe it or not, WHITE PEOPLE have broken homes too. Its a racist stereotype to say that only non whites have broken homes.

Some of these kids had alcoholic and or drug addicted parents (not all married couples are healthy and happy). Btw, not all white suburban or rural people are well off. You've an underclass in these areas that lives in trailor parks. Some had single parents (yes, there are white single moms too) and others had parents who had legal issues. Again, they do not have college degrees. What kid who has a college degree decides to nothing but sleep around outside, go in the garbage can for food (they call it dumpster diving), make a living off professional pandhandling and/or prostitution, among other things? What normal families would let their children live like that?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
The economy sucks big time.
Street people are the natural fallout.

If it goes on much longer with only the mega-rich making money moving jobs overseas, we will see the soup kitchens and bread lines of the '30's again.
Of course you won't see the lines of hungry people on CNN, only noise about Iran and North Korea and arrogant well paid politicians mouthing nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City