Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NYC well-prepared?
Yes 9 39.13%
No 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times

Advertisements

"Boston suspect to FBI: New York was next" http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/us/bos...html?hpt=hp_t1

These guys luckily got stopped, but obviously there will be someone else who will wanna try it again. That Times Square van a while back was a close call, and from what I understand, it was pure luck that it didn't blow up, and authorities didn't know about it till the last minute. Is NYC ready for a possible attack? Do you think the NYPD and FBI are on top of things? Is it practically impossible to foil all these plots, and it's bound to happen sooner or later?
Apparently, yes, according to our leaders, sadly:
But all the technology, all the intelligence sharing, all the police boots on the ground won't eliminate the threat to New York, leaders in that city stressed. Nor will they necessarily catch the next person or people who want to stage an attack in Times Square.
As Bloomberg said, "There are no guarantees."

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 04-25-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
WELL THE way we just let anyone waltz into our country after 911 should tell you something.
Now the Boston thing.

Sure, come here, we will feed you, cloth you and send you to school, no money, dont worry, we will put you on public assistance, no medical, don't worry, we will give you medicaid.

feel free to kill us anytime

gee lets see, can we be attateked again.........................?????????????

Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,349 times
Sad to say, you are correct in every respect. We not only admit people that hate us-we pay 'em to stay. I never could get my brain around that sort of logic at all.

What really sets me off is that Governor Patrick is citing privacy when shutting off inquiries as to public assistance payments made to this scumbag. The irony here is staggering-the government knows all about us, but we can't find out what they paid to this murderous creature from our tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
WELL THE way we just let anyone waltz into our country after 911 should tell you something.
Now the Boston thing.

Sure, come here, we will feed you, cloth you and send you to school, no money, dont worry, we will put you on public assistance, no medical, don't worry, we will give you medicaid.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
ny is prepared. they just think the solution is to take away more privacy from american citizens and monitor us to death just to get a few of these trifle terrorists that they might miss. way to go america! we lose and the terrorists win; just what they wanted!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
I think NYC is as prepared as possible. There is a limit to what government agencies can do however--they aren't God. We could turn the country into a police state and establish check points at the city limits and force everyone to "show their papers" but even that wouldn't stop everyone.

I think what we have to decide upon is what balance of freedom and safety are we as a society comfortable with?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Now the Boston thing.

well well...you sir are sounding like quite the conservative

Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
I think the NYPD has gone above and beyond in prepaing itself, however, I do believe that more could be done. I think their reactionary and response time is great; however their preventative measures could use some fine tuning.

With such a large city there should be a better way to regulate who or what can enter the city and when. As it is, this place is a hub for attracting foreign sleeper cells.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Compared to what? With the possible exception of DC, I'm sure we're the best prepared place in the US.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
We have our act togheter and attacks are rare but they've planted a new kind of fear and anxiety in us so maybe they have already won. Let's just hope they don't walk all over us. But you will not hear me cry cause I do not sing the blues.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Most people are not very smart (at all), but they are extremely selfish and for the most part weak - in so many other ways.

Because we would find ourselves relying on our fellow man, as they say, I would say ... well, we should hope a serious attack does not happen.

Many would probably not even notice an attack. It would be drowned out by the thumping garbage music pouring out of their ear phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City