Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
You are mostly listening to voices from France. The French love New York. Although most come during their long vacation season in late summer, many visit at other times of the year when the airfares are lower.

New York is an obsession for many French people, especially the younger set. The French media feature more items about New York than any other foreign place. It is seen as the most European of American cities, progressive, open and (certainly compared to Paris) friendly. There are new "Little France" neighborhoods in Brooklyn where French expatriates live for months or years; some never leave. It's hard to return to Paris after you've gotten used to the energy, drive and openness of New Yorkers.
This is very true. The other issue is that the city has been promoting tourism here in New York, especially in Europe to countries like Spain for example. As a result, you hear a lot of French, Spanish, Portuguese (usually from Brazil) and Italian and German as well. I have also seen Scandinavians here (Norweigans, Swedes and so forth), though not as many. They tend to travel in groups.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
No foreign city compares to NY in France. Yes, London and Montreal have more French, but this is almost always related to business. .
French in Montreal is mostly related to business?

Business, and demographics, and culture, and history, and education, and politics. And everything.

It's the main language of the city. Quite different from the situation in London OR New York.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
@Acajac. I meant "more French" in the sense of "more French people". Canadian immigration would like more skilled immigrants for Canada, and Quebec is cooperating totally with Ottawa; the province is aggressively promoting immigration from France to help shore up its French-speaking majority. Quebec is attracting entrepreneurs and employees directly from France. Students and other "cultural immigrants" are important, too, but secondary.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM

145 posts, read 306,941 times
There's been an increase of wealthy Europeans in the City over the past several years. I have noticed more French, Spanish (from Spain!), Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, etc. speakers in Manhattan and gentrified Brooklyn since the Great Recession started.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
There's been an increase of wealthy Europeans in the City over the past several years. I have noticed more French, Spanish (from Spain!), Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, etc. speakers in Manhattan and gentrified Brooklyn since the Great Recession started.
Better employment opportunities here for the most part, lower taxes, and a very favorable exchange rate is making that happen. It's sort of interesting. It'd be nice to funnel these people into recovering rust belt cities that have skilled jobs but few capable people to employ and inner cities with good bones but thinned flesh.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
There are tons of French tourists and expats in New York, so many in fact that NYC should designate a part of New York little Paris (I think many Parisian expats live on the UES in the 60's and 70's...) Their are a lot of expats living in the UWS, Hell's Kitchen and of course in Williamsburg.

A French co-worker noticed this himself and commented that French really love NYC- especially Brooklyn (Brookly to them= Williamsburg) just like the Japanese really idolize Paris. There is no other city suitable to live in or become ex-pats in like to New York for them. In fact, Brooklyn has become so trendy with the young Parisians that there are restuarants, food trucks and "bruger cafes"popping up all over Paris promoting NYC inspired fare. Very interesting.

There may also be an increase in French tourists, citizens due to the economic crisis in Europe and the election of Hollande who promises to tax wealthy French a much higher amounts than normal. Those who have the money to do so are moving from France to London and New York to escape this.

It will be interesting to see what the unrest in Europe does for tourism/ real estate in NYC. There might be a further rise in French expats if social unrest occurs... which the French are worried about due to racial and religious tensions, economic instability, etc.. we'll see.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I heard people speak spanish in Corona yesterday. Go figure!!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
There are tons of French tourists and expats in New York, so many in fact that NYC should designate a part of New York little Paris (I think many Parisian expats live on the UES in the 60's and 70's...) Their are a lot of expats living in the UWS, Hell's Kitchen and of course in Williamsburg.

A French co-worker noticed this himself and commented that French really love NYC- especially Brooklyn (Brookly to them= Williamsburg) just like the Japanese really idolize Paris. There is no other city suitable to live in or become ex-pats in like to New York for them. In fact, Brooklyn has become so trendy with the young Parisians that there are restuarants, food trucks and "bruger cafes"popping up all over Paris promoting NYC inspired fare. Very interesting.

There may also be an increase in French tourists, citizens due to the economic crisis in Europe and the election of Hollande who promises to tax wealthy French a much higher amounts than normal. Those who have the money to do so are moving from France to London and New York to escape this.

It will be interesting to see what the unrest in Europe does for tourism/ real estate in NYC. There might be a further rise in French expats if social unrest occurs... which the French are worried about due to racial and religious tensions, economic instability, etc.. we'll see.
Agreed, though it's not just Williamsburg. Carroll Gardens and surrounding neighborhoods also has a large French community, large enough to push through a dual language curriculum (French and English) at the public schools there.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 AM

290 posts, read 688,395 times
The French Consulate is in the UES (75th I think), so if you walk around there I'm sure you'll hear plenty of it. And they just had their Bastille Day recently, in the same area, which had a huge turnout.

Frenchies just love NY. My gf and I were over in Paris a few weeks ago and I saw more yankee hats there than when I walk through the streets of Brooklyn. Even more odd tho, in the week we were there, I counted 22 Bulls hats..random statement of the day. :-)

Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
My gf and I were over in Paris a few weeks ago and I saw more yankee hats there than when I walk through the streets of Brooklyn. Even more odd tho, in the week we were there, I counted 22 Bulls hats..random statement of the day. :-)
lol since last year I started to see a lot of Nets caps in the streets, thats like the new trend I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City