Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 01:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are lots of Puerto Ricans with a lot more than 15% African ancestry, and clearly you have not been around many Puerto Ricans if you don't know that.

The mixture will vary, even in the same family, and features and hair types will vary a lot even in the same family.
It's just an example! Of course I don't think every Puerto Rican is only 15% black. But Puerto Ricans without strong African features are usually not considered black, and I do believe Obama has considerably more black ancestry than the average Puerto Rican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's just an example! Of course I don't think every Puerto Rican is only 15% black. But Puerto Ricans without strong African features are usually not considered black, and I do believe Obama has considerably more black ancestry than the average Puerto Rican.
Now that was better said.

There isn't an average Puerto Rican, and there are many Puerto Ricans more African looking than Obama. Of course there are many that aren't. You will find many different looks within the SAME family in Puerto Rico, and this is something you can't seemingly wrap your head around. There is no typical Puerto Rican.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
A guy who did not grow up in the Black community, was raised by his white family, and who attended the ultimate pinnacle of white privilege, the Ivy League is not that Black.

I'm not convinced he ever had anything to do with the Black community in general beyond his wife. That's fine, and I'm certainly not criticizing him.
He might not have had the blackest upbringing, but white America certainly sees him as black, and black Americans seem to very much view him as their own. Converesely, nobody considers Marco Rubio black even though he probably has some black ancestry.

He also grew up in the 70s, which I would consider to be a more racist time period than today.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:00 PM

As for Latin America, they seem to have a much different way of looking at race. It seems like "white" in some Latin American countries is used to mean upper class mestizo.

I also hate when people act like whites rule all of Latin America. Most mestizo majority countries have mestizo presidents, including Mexico. Sure there is disproportionate European ancestrt among the upper classes, however it's not as if all wealthy people are white. I've been all over Ecuador and I saw not a single person who can pass for white, excluding some American/European tourists.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
He might not have had the blackest upbringing, but white America certainly sees him as black, and black Americans seem to very much view him as their own. Converesely, nobody considers Marco Rubio black even though he probably has some black ancestry.

He also grew up in the 70s, which I would consider to be a more racist time period than today.
White America is full of idiots. Look at the rise of Trump. Just because white america declares something, does not make it fact.

Most Black Americans have some degree of European ancestry in their family and would have relatives who are as white as Obama, so that's not to surprising.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
As for Latin America, they seem to have a much different way of looking at race. It seems like "white" in some Latin American countries is used to mean upper class mestizo.

I also hate when people act like whites rule all of Latin America. Most mestizo majority countries have mestizo presidents, including Mexico. Sure there is disproportionate European ancestrt among the upper classes, however it's not as if all wealthy people are white. I've been all over Ecuador and I saw not a single person who can pass for white, excluding some American/European tourists.
I can say the same for Colombia or the DR. Few people were Hillary Clinton white, and the majority of people had some degree of Native or Black, even the well off ones. But you had civil rights movements in Latin America ,and I saw very Black people in Colombia working in all walks of life and at the universities in Bogota.

I saw lots of upper middle class Blacks in Santo Domingo. If you actually go to the DR, it's pretty Black. Most Dominicans have strong African features. The DR is one of the Blackest countries in the world outside of Africa.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
White America is full of idiots. Look at the rise of Trump. Just because white america declares something, does not make it fact.

Most Black Americans have some degree of European ancestry in their family and would have relatives who are as white as Obama, so that's not to surprising.
Of course white America's opinion is not the end all, but they're still the majority of the country so their opinions are relevant in some senses.

I've heard a lot of black people argue that phenotypes like Stephen Curry and Drake exist without any white admixture. A black guy told me once that Stephen Curry's family is not mixed but "light skin".

Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I can say the same for Colombia or the DR. Few people were Hillary Clinton white, and the majority of people had some degree of Native or Black, even the well off ones. But you had civil rights movements in Latin America ,and I saw very Black people in Colombia working in all walks of life and at the universities in Bogota.

I saw lots of upper middle class Blacks in Santo Domingo. If you actually go to the DR, it's pretty Black. Most Dominicans have strong African features. The DR is one of the Blackest countries in the world outside of Africa.
Yep, I've never met a single white person of Colombian background. I know a few thay have pale skin, but have very noticible native ancestry. I also have wealthy Ecuadorian family and none of them are even close to being white. It's a white supremacist narrative that the entirety of Latin America's wealthy and powerful are all white and it's simply not true.

That's why Latinos will never be considered white in the US, Italian and Irish people are actually white which is why they asimilated into white society by World War Ii.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Of course white America's opinion is not the end all, but they're still the majority of the country so their opinions are relevant in some senses.

I've heard a lot of black people argue that phenotypes like Stephen Curry and Drake exist without any white admixture. A black guy told me once that Stephen Curry's family is not mixed but "light skin".
They're in denial. A ghetto/BLM exists were people try to outdo each other in claiming Blackness. I've even seen a couple of near white Puerto Ricans and Dominicans claim to be Black (they looked like they were 10% African). I found that to be disingenuous. Had they said they were mixed race that would be okay, but these were people who were probably over 85% percent white (I'll throw in a little Taino in there) claiming to be JUST BLACK. That to me reminded me of Rachel Dolezal. I mean people can like whatever culture they like, but I'm just not into outright lying.

Basically its politics, if people fully admit the racial mixing that takes place, it changes things.

The right wing wanted to portrayal Obama as an angry Black Muslim, and talking about being raised by his white mother and grandparents would complicate things. So those white americans claiming Obama is some kind of Black Muslim from Kenya (his father was) were being dishonest/lying because it suited them politically and that includes Trump with the birther controvery. Obama with his American mother would be a Native US citizen even if born overseas. McCain was born in Panama, and he was still able to run for President and not accused of being not American.

These racists are lying bastards.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yep, I've never met a single white person of Colombian background. I know a few thay have pale skin, but have very noticible native ancestry. I also have wealthy Ecuadorian family and none of them are even close to being white. It's a white supremacist narrative that the entirety of Latin America's wealthy and powerful are all white and it's simply not true.

That's why Latinos will never be considered white in the US, Italian and Irish people are actually white which is why they asimilated into white society by World War Ii.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City