Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
There's still solid Italian community in Throgs Neck, especially east of East Tremont Ave. Not to mention some Albanians, longstanding Irish and most of the Puerto Ricans are second gen + predominantly Euro ones. There's been in an influx of a wide variety of people, the neighborhood is becoming very diverse.

Throgs Neck is quite distinct from Castle Hill too. For one, Castle Hill is much more dense and transit oriented. More similar to Westchester Sq. Throgs Neck is more like Country Club.
Its really hard to tell the difference between Puerto Ricans and italians in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
There's still solid Italian community in Throgs Neck, especially east of East Tremont Ave. Not to mention some Albanians, longstanding Irish and most of the Puerto Ricans are second gen + predominantly Euro ones. There's been in an influx of a wide variety of people, the neighborhood is becoming very diverse.

Throgs Neck is quite distinct from Castle Hill too. For one, Castle Hill is much more dense and transit oriented. More similar to Westchester Sq. Throgs Neck is more like Country Club.
You understand there is Country Club proper? Edgewater is near CC but not a part of it. CC is more Caucasian compared to the Neck. In terms of Throggs Neck I stand by my assessment. Becoming and will be a mostly latino area. Drive down Tremont towards Schurz ave and go right. Look at who's tending to the yards or walking around.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM

38 posts, read 63,041 times
Quote:
Throgs Neck sits in the far southeast corner of the Bronx. It's home to Ferry Point Park, SUNY Maritime, the Whitestone and Throgs Neck Bridges.

It's predominantly White, mostly Italian, with a significant Latin American population (Mostly Puerto Rican). The neighborhood is predominantly moderate income with a mix of blue and white collar workers. This area contains a large stock of both attached and detached single and multi-unit homes, with apartment buildings scattered throughout. The largest housing complex in the neighborhood is the Throgs Neck Houses (managed by the NYCHA). East Tremont is the main drag through the neighborhood and in recent years has been gaining praise for it's thriving restaurant scene. Definitely more of a family neighborhood.

The worst thing about Throgs Neck is poor access to the NYC subway system. The nearest station is well over a mile away. However, the city is seriously considering ferry service. At the same time, Throgs Neck is perhaps one of the most car friendly neighborhoods in the Bronx. Many homes have driveways included, and you have easy access to virtually the whole city via automobile. One of the possible future phases of the Second Ave Subway also terminates at Thongs Neck, so maybe one day.

Here are a few more safe Bronx neighborhoods worth a look:

•Anything east of the Hutchinson Parkway.
•Westchester Sq
•Parkchester
•Harding Park/Clason Point *
•Van Nest
•Morris Park
•Castle Hill*
•Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East
•Allerton Ave area
•Norwood
•Kingsbridge
•Kingsbridge Heights*
•Greater Riverdale
•Bedford Park*

* Might be a little edgy feeling for some.

In the far northeast Bronx, I know there is good and bad. Someone else will have to get into that.
Allerton Ave isn't save for those not used to the Bronx. Same goes for Kingsbridge/Bedfork Park. Other areas I have to agree.

Albanians are pretty rowdy in Pelham Pkwy.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
It all depends on how you define the boundaries of Throgs Neck. If it's the (for lack of a better term) Greater Throgs Neck area (so it includes Edgewater Park, Locust Pont, etc), then the white population increases. But even then, I think the Hispanic population is still higher, (I don't feel like doing the exact math) but of course, there's still a significant white population left.

If it's west of East Tremont, then it's majority Hispanic (Around 55% back in 2010), with a large number of whites left (around 30%), with the rest being Blacks & Asians.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
I grew up in TN. IMO, the neighborhood is changing and not necessarily for the better in some regards. There's been an uptick in some crimes. (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs045pct.pdf) It's becoming very congested as many homes were torn down and replaced with multi family dwellings, etc over the last 10 years. Example my mother in law sold her home that sat on 4 lots a few months ago, 3 3 family homes are replacing what was there.

Streets are a bit dirtier and some areas are actually starting to look a bit seedy. I have always believed TN is overrun with bars so that's not lacking. In fact, I know many people from outside of TN who come to hang out at Tosca's and Bridges. Food has always be so-so and imo, many of them are overrated (see Tosca's!)

That being said, it's a diverse community and growing more so with each passing year. It's very family oriented as the average TN resident is a married parent. There are multiple churches/synagogues and a number of private & Catholic schools. PS72 is marginal at best IS192 the same- simply my opinion.

Closest train is the 6 and depending on what side of Tremont you're on you'd take the 40/42 to Westchester Sq or the 8 to Buhre Avenue or Middletown Rd. While TN is car friendly, neither train area is conducive to driving and parking close the station. There's also an express bus into Manhattan.

I have also lived in Country Club- there's some debate about the CC/TN boundaries. CC is also getting more diverse each passing year. For many years my husband's family was the only PR/Hispanic family for multiple blocks. Last year alone 4 homes in our two block radius were bought/rented by Hispanic families. I also believe the Italian population is greater in CC where TN is more Irish.

As noted by checkmate, Edgewater, Country Club and Silver Beach areas of TN are very "white" but outside of that TN is a very mixed bag now.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
•Building higher density housing is only a reflection of rising property values. Throgs Neck hasn't been suburban in a generation (it has been a dense area since the 1960s) and will only continue to become more dense.

•Crime is down versus 10 years ago, which is down versus 20 years ago. The neighborhood is very safe. The 45th precinct represents almost a 3rd of the geographical area of the Bronx, and the majority of the population lives in Co-op City or near the Pelham Bay line. The only area in Throngs Neck that looks remotely seedy are the Throngs Neck PJs, which are pretty isolated.

•The new business is great. The neighborhood has been getting recognized in the NY Times and a few magazines and such.

•The neighborhood is definitely more diverse then ever.

Finally, it's a nice neighborhood. Less dense then most of the Bronx but still an urban environment. Walkable, transit accessible (though the mass transit commute to Manhattan is a slow one At 70 min via subway/50 min via express bus), 20 minute drive to Midtown+easy access to Queens via Whitestone/Throgs Neck Bridges. and Ferry Point Park is an added bonus. Definitely more family oriented area.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
•Building higher density housing is only a reflection of rising property values. Throgs Neck hasn't been suburban in a generation (it has been a dense area since the 1960s) and will only continue to become more dense.

•Crime is down versus 10 years ago, which is down versus 20 years ago. The neighborhood is very safe. The 45th precinct represents almost a 3rd of the geographical area of the Bronx, and the majority of the population lives in Co-op City or near the Pelham Bay line. The only area in Throngs Neck that looks remotely seedy are the Throngs Neck PJs, which are pretty isolated.

•The new business is great. The neighborhood has been getting recognized in the NY Times and a few magazines and such.

•The neighborhood is definitely more diverse then ever.

Finally, it's a nice neighborhood. Less dense then most of the Bronx but still an urban environment. Walkable, transit accessible (though the mass transit commute to Manhattan is a slow one At 70 min via subway/50 min via express bus), 20 minute drive to Midtown+easy access to Queens via Whitestone/Throgs Neck Bridges. and Ferry Point Park is an added bonus. Definitely more family oriented area.
Not to sound snarky but if you're not from the Neck than of course you won't recognize the visual changes happening. Dirtier streets, houses stacked atop one another, less parking, etc. It may be great for a home seller to have rising property values- which TN has AlWAYS had- but for the longtime locals it's a PITA.

As for crime, you're right that the 4-5 covers a HUGE amount of space. The crime in TN itself is rising, not just within the confines of the precinct. So yeah it's great that it's down across the board but not in this particular community.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Not to sound snarky but if you're not from the Neck than of course you won't recognize the visual changes happening. Dirtier streets, houses stacked atop one another, less parking, etc. It may be great for a home seller to have rising property values- which TN has AlWAYS had- but for the longtime locals it's a PITA.

As for crime, you're right that the 4-5 covers a HUGE amount of space. The crime in TN itself is rising, not just within the confines of the precinct. So yeah it's great that it's down across the board but not in this particular community.
I agree with your post. BTW JM is a Community Board president. He's a resident of the Neck but also very astute with city services. I lived in the Neck for about a year. On the block I was on, there was originally 15 homes on both sides. That number swelled to 45 which includes these big 3 families. Parking got tough but also the quality wasn't as good. Case in point, Watched a neighbor fighting with a new neighbor on working on his car late into the night with loud music. Also about the uncleanness of the overall property. Anyhow speaking with neighbor A he was pissed and was telling me on how he moved there from Castle Hill. Spent over 600K for his multi family home. The new neighbor? Section 8! The whole 3 family was all section 8. For the record for all the racial police, everyone involved is Latino. Also a large spike in the 45Pct crime stats comes from Coop city especially the mall over there. That's a huge hotbed for theft.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:

BTW what I feel really hurt the Neck and other middle class areas was the banking crisis. No document loans or 103% loans for homes. There was this huge building boom and then they went section 8. Not hard to figure out which homes are the renters. Just look at the windows,bed sheets folded over to act like shades.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I agree with your post. BTW JM is a Community Board president. He's a resident of the Neck but also very astute with city services. I lived in the Neck for about a year. On the block I was on, there was originally 15 homes on both sides. That number swelled to 45 which includes these big 3 families. Parking got tough but also the quality wasn't as good. Case in point, Watched a neighbor fighting with a new neighbor on working on his car late into the night with loud music. Also about the uncleanness of the overall property. Anyhow speaking with neighbor A he was pissed and was telling me on how he moved there from Castle Hill. Spent over 600K for his multi family home. The new neighbor? Section 8! The whole 3 family was all section 8. For the record for all the racial police, everyone involved is Latino. Also a large spike in the 45Pct crime stats comes from Coop city especially the mall over there. That's a huge hotbed for theft.
What exactly are the two of you contributing the rise in crime to in that area? Is it the increase in population or the type of people moving in or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City