Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM

24 posts, read 91,684 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'll try and be brief as possible. I am flying into LGA in Mid May about 3:30pm, and I have an international flight to catch at JFK at midnight.

I could take a taxi from 1 to another, but then I would have to wait about 8 hours at the airport.

Then I was given this advice that would allow me to sort of experience Queens and take home a metrocard as a souvenir: I would take the Q33 bus to Jackson Heights near Roosevelt, eat at one of the restaurants there, then get on the subway and then the airtran to JFK.

That was really exciting to think about but then I read this thread about luggage on public transportation even though its 2 years old:
Luggage on the subway-- bad idea?

I will have a small backpack, and two other small pieces of luggage riding the subway at about 5:00pm assuming no delays.

So what do you think? Is the luggage not a problem at this time? Or do you have any other recommendations?

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Many travel the buses/subway the 1 suitcase and a purse or backpack but you have an additional bag. Are you able to carry all the up and down subway steps and walking several blocks?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
This is an easy detour sans luggage. With luggage it is still doable but a bit more frustrating.

There are lots of good restaurants in Jackson Heights (I recommend Ayada, a Thai restaurant) and you certainly have enough time. But lugging the stuff might be a hassle, and some of the restaurants are small / can't really accomodate luggage. Though you won't have to rush which is good. I've taken the Q33 many times without issues (when we rent cars, we normally do it from the LGA rental car places, and take the Q33 there).

For Airtrain, you probably already know this but you'll have to take the E train from Jackson Heights to Jamaica, and transfer to the Airtrain. Also very easy.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 AM

24 posts, read 91,684 times
Carrying luggage around for a long time even in warm weather is fine as I am used to it so no problem there. As far as jackson heights is concerned, I was actually interested in one of the food carts so accommodation there isn't an issue either.

My main concern is having room on the bus and the subway.

Also another question: Will I look weird with all these bags roaming the streets; will police say anything?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
Carrying luggage around for a long time even in warm weather is fine as I am used to it so no problem there. As far as jackson heights is concerned, I was actually interested in one of the food carts so accommodation there isn't an issue either.

My main concern is having room on the bus and the subway.

Also another question: Will I look weird with all these bags roaming the streets; will police say anything?
People travel all the time on the subway and the bus with luggage. If it's a big concern, just take a taxi from LGA to the food cart. If you are out and about on Roosevelt Ave and you need to get to JFK, you could also call a car service to get you there. A good one is Mexicana Car & Limo - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY . If you call them, you can get a quote (it's a flat fare).

I can't imagine the police saying anything but who knows! There are plenty of other things for them to be concerned about besides a tourist carrying bags.

Cart Crawl w/ Joe DiStefano (Jackson Heights, Queens)

Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,181 times
Hum Public Transportation in NYc @ the 5 P M. hour, thats the hieght of Rush hr here, you likely will be squished aganist other bodies, the trains and buses are usually wall to wall crowed with commuters, where is your luggage going to go ??

Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
Hum Public Transportation in NYc @ the 5 P M. hour, thats the hieght of Rush hr here, you likely will be squished aganist other bodies, the trains and buses are usually wall to wall crowed with commuters, where is your luggage going to go ??
I am pretty sure the Q33 will be empty at boarding time, or at least LGA should be the first stop. So hopefully getting on the bus won't be too bad. It will most likely get crowded as it goes along its route so getting off might be more difficult than getting on.

Once you're done eating, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a car service from the food cart over to JFK.

If you need somewhere to eat your food cart food, there are a couple of outdoor pedestrian plazas with benches, one on 37th Rd. and 74th St. http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-conten...zaPlanters.jpg
and another in Corona at 103rd St. and Roosevelt Celebrating Corona Plaza, additional improvements are coming | Queens NYC and also a very tiny one at 82nd St. and Baxter called Dunningham Triangle, however, I am not sure if the renovation at this one has been finished. Elmhurst Residents Pitch in for Dunningham Triangle Renovation Plan - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Do you have alternate plans for your meal in case it's raining?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Come to Flushing, and go to New World Mall on Roosevelt Ave, and Main St. There is a big cafeteria in the basement. You can sample, chinese, korean, and some vietnamese. You can get those famous soup buns I am sure you heard of from A Bourdain. It is almost like a street fair in China.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
If your flight leaves at midnight, it'd be silly leave Jackson Heights at 5 pm. By maybe 7 pm, it would have emptied about a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: