Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 AM

17 posts, read 32,611 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I went to the city to view apartments. I parked my car near East 47th Street. An old white woman came to me telling me to slide down the window of my car. She started talking,
"Please don't park here. Since poor Chinese came to this area, I don't have parking spaces. This is a rich neighborhood, park somewhere else." She said she lives in the penthouse of an apartment in front of where I was trying to park. She said she owns a Bentley.
I told her,
"I am not poor. I am not Chinese either. What is your problem?"
She said, "Then what are you? Phillipino?"
"No, Korean, and I was born here.
"Oh, you are worse. Are you North Korean?"

I was speechless. I told her to educate herself so she could stop asking that stupid question. I literally wanted to punch her until she gets down on her knees and apologize, but I couldn't. I yelled at her "You don't want me to park here because I'm an Asian???"
Then she kept on saying that she was born and raised in the city and this is her country. She wanted Asians to leave the country, especially from Midtown East area where she lives. I was arguing with her about 15 minutes and realized that I was wasting my time with this ignorant [person]. I told her,
"You know what? You are gonna die very soon. Nobody will care about what you think. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language" And I left.
I know I could let it go but I was so upset and angry.

I see a lot of old white folks in Midtown East and Upper East Side area. I know most of them are rich people but is this how all white people who grw up in the city think about Asians in the area?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-05-2013 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Edited per DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,376 times
Quote:
I see a lot of old white folks in Midtown East and Upper East Side area. I know most of them are rich people but is this how all white people who grw up in the city think about Asians in the area?

All of them. Every single one. I've heard that their poodles also pee on black people, however that may very well be a myth...

Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I got cornered by a similar crazy woman on a bus. But for the extreme penalties against assault I'd have smashed her in the face so hard her nose would have disappeared.
So instead, I had to internalize and raise my blood pressure 50 points.

Crazy people are at an extreme advantage.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Discrimination is a part of life and will always be. People will discriminate you on your race, age, sex, social status, physical appearance, personality, sexual orientation, education level, and religion affiliation. There is nothing you can do about it BUT live your life and avoid those people.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchoi08 View Post
"You know what? You are gonna die very soon. Nobody will care about what you think. **** YOU."
Ha, good for you. Naa, not all old white people are like that. Some of them hate Jews or blacks instead.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Racists, morons, and bigots will always be with us, but I really wish we lived in a society, like we used to, where at least the PSYCHOTICS were cared for in a lovely setting far from sane people. People taking instructions from the voice of God, Hitler, or their dog do not belong on a New York City bus.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchoi08 View Post

...I was speechless. I told her to educate herself so she could stop asking that stupid question. I literally wanted to punch her until she gets down on her knees and apologize, but I couldn't. I yelled at her "You don't want me to park here because I'm an Asian???"
Then she kept on saying that she was born and raised in the city and this is her country. She wanted Asians to leave the country, especially from Midtown East area where she lives. I was arguing with her about 15 minutes and realized that I was wasting my time with this ignorant . I told her,
"You know what? You are gonna die very soon. Nobody will care about what you think. ." And I left.
I know I could let it go but I was so upset and angry.

No.

You should realize that there are enough *nutjobs* in this city to consitute a separate 'minority' group!

You just met one!

If you spend much time in NYC and particularly Manhattan, you will come across others.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-05-2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
You should've taken the parking spot and flipped her the bird, lol.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
You said: I was speechless. I told her to educate herself so she could stop asking that stupid question.
But then asked: is this how all white people who grw up in the city think about Asians in the area?

That's a stupid question dude...but to answer it No.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
You can't extrapolate any conclusions about a general demographic based on a sample size of one.

Common Sense 101

It's funny how you complain about her racism, but are ready to stereotype a multitude of people based on your experience with a stupid, pretentious, and prejudiced old lady.

I still think you should've taken the spot and flipped her the bird, lol.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 05-05-2013 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City