Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 22,221 times

Advertisements

This applies to natives and those who moved from out of state and call NY their home.

I have found the majority of regular NYers are very down to earth, I am a 4th generation NYer, my family came here in the late 1800s and I am 23. I am Irish, Italian and German descent, and have been to all parts of NY, I am talking real neighborhoods(outer boroughs) not SoHo. Most people seem to be polite, helpful and respectful. I don't understand where this dumb stereotype comes from? Most Nyers are just real, we tell it how it is and I think that is more helpful than lying to somebody just to make them feel better. I think you would have been hard-pressed to find first responders(like my father who still suffers health issues from that), risking their lives to save people like what happened on 9/11/01 and Hurricane Sandy elsewhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
I'd say there are two different things going on.

One, like you say, native New Yorkers or just people who've lived here a long time tend to be direct and to the point, which is perceived as rude in some parts of the country.

Two, the city attracts extremely ambitious people who are trying to claw their way to the top of just about every field you can think of, and those people often actually are rude and mean.

I agree with you, I've lived here for ten years and I find New Yorkers to be very friendly.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times
I agree with you both and it's true.

Most New Yorkers are the nicest people who wouldn't hesitate to give you the shirt off their backs. I've actually witnessed a few who helped others to their own detriment without worrying about it.

My hometown, try getting anybody to do anything for you unless it's understood you'll pay them first or them weighing in on how many pounds of flesh it'll cost them.

Those first responders showed what a true NY'er is about. They sacrificed a lot to save others without a thought to themselves.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,220 times
I was gonna say something but changed my mind.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM

126 posts, read 152,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I'd say there are two different things going on.

One, like you say, native New Yorkers or just people who've lived here a long time tend to be direct and to the point, which is perceived as rude in some parts of the country.

Two, the city attracts extremely ambitious people who are trying to claw their way to the top of just about every field you can think of, and those people often actually are rude and mean.

I agree with you, I've lived here for ten years and I find New Yorkers to be very friendly.
I agree with you, but I think he is talking more about the common folk not these wannabe Gordon Gecko POS.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
I was gonna say something but changed my mind.
But still took the time to post that you changed your mind

Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM

370 posts, read 624,682 times
I don't think New Yorkers are mean but we are plenty rude a lot of the time. When I go get coffee I see people shout out, "small coffee, three sugars" not "Can I have a small coffee with three sugars, please?" I also went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art a few weeks ago and the girl at the ticket counter did the whole transaction without saying a word to me.This is considered rude in many other parts of the country. This rude behavior occurs here because the line to get coffee or a ticket to the Met is extremely long and most people are pressed for time. So many people push through crowds without saying excuse me and I think it's because you would have to say it 100 times just to get through a crowded city street. When you're short on time, you eliminate what is deemed unnecessary like- please, thank you, excuse me, etc. Not saying it's right, just saying why it occurs. So yeah, we're rude when compared to other places in our country but it comes with the territory.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I don't think New Yorkers are mean but we are plenty rude a lot of the time. When I go get coffee I see people shout out, "small coffee, three sugars" not "Can I have a small coffee with three sugars, please?" I also went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art a few weeks ago and the girl at the ticket counter did the whole transaction without saying a word to me.This is considered rude in many other parts of the country. This rude behavior occurs here because the line to get coffee or a ticket to the Met is extremely long and most people are pressed for time. So many people push through crowds without saying excuse me and I think it's because you would have to say it 100 times just to get through a crowded city street. When you're short on time, you eliminate what is deemed unnecessary like- please, thank you, excuse me, etc. Not saying it's right, just saying why it occurs. So yeah, we're rude when compared to other places in our country but it comes with the territory.
That is more of a habit than intentionally being rude. That is just how we talk, it is part of our culture. I always say thank you and I do hold doors for people.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post

That's it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are not mean and we are not rude, but we ARE in a hurry. We New Yorkers know the difference. The rest of the country doesn't.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Those things aren't rude in the context of New York. They'd be rude somewhere else. We have a system that works for us. If you're ordering a sandwich at a deli, for example, the polite thing is to order as fast as possible so you don't make other people wait. No time for "may I, please." Notice that we usually DO say "thank you," because that doesn't make anyone wait. We're not savages.

Last edited by BinxBolling; 05-08-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City