U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM

319 posts, read 490,656 times

Advertisements

I remember when the last stop used to be Forest Hills. It's way convenient if you need to travel to Queens from Brooklyn or vice versa without going into Manhattan. I feel like it totally gets the short end of the stick because it doesn't serve Manhattan residents. Hopefully with more and more G train riders service will improve, but I don't hold my breath for anything concerning the MTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,272,916 times
there is a g rain/

Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 PM

559 posts, read 961,432 times
What is the G train? Where is the G train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguard View Post
I could use some native New Yorker wisdom for my move!

My girlfriend and I are knee-deep in apartment hunting in New York for a move this summer. We both love the general vibe of Clinton Hill, but I'll be working in midtown and every time I mention to someone we're looking there they're like, "Oh man, I could never live on the G train."

Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 PM

145 posts, read 250,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguard View Post
Thanks for the helpful responses all! Some clarification: how infrequently does it run on evenings, and how much time do you think it adds to a midtown Manhattan commute to make the transfer?
Here's the schedule (obviously it can vary if there are service problems, but in the 2 years that I lived in Greenpoint and depended on the G train, I found this schedule to be fairly dependable):

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tgcur.pdf

Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
Default What is so bad about the G train?

The G train used to run to 71/Continental Ave in Forest Hills. This provided a one seat ride on the G through much of Queens. In addition, at Queens Plaza it provided an easy transfer to the R train going
to Manhattan via the Broadway line.

We (the Noble Street Block Association and Save the G) fought tooth and nail to keep the G going
into Queens. With Governor Pataki on our side we managed to get the G to run to Forest Hills from
8:30PM to 5:00 AM plus weekend service. Speaking of Governor Pataki, the then head of NYC Transit admitted to us in
a meeting that he falsified the rider numbers transferring at Court Square. He only presented the
numbers of people going to Manhattan and didn't include the numbers of people transferring to travel
farther into Queens.

After Governor Pataki left office we became vulnerable as far as the surviving service was concerned.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM

510 posts, read 1,222,830 times
As everyone has said the G train is fine- I've lived off it for a bunch of years now. The main issue is the late night weekend work. Because of the layout of the tracks, the only place for the train to switch tracks north of Church is at Bedford-Nostrand. What that means is that whenever there is work that requires it to single track either north or south of there it means that the trains run in two segments- Court Square to Bedford-Nostrand, and Bedford-Nostrand to Church. This is a pain in the ass late at night for two reasons: 1) Trains run every 20 minutes late night and 2) You usually have to wait anywhere from 10-20 minutes to change trains there. Basically a late night ride home for me can take 20 mins, or it can take an hour or more depending on catching/missing the original/transfer train. I don't even bother taking the G late night on the weekends anymore. All that said it sticks to its schedule and is relatively reliable. Download an app that tells you when its coming and it will be there when it says it will. I would definitely not skip the neighborhood because of the G train.

As a side note- someone mentioned that if you live near Myrtle you can take the B54 to Jay st- I would STRONGLY suggest you avoid relying on the B54. IMO it's way less reliable (and also less frequent and takes longer) than the G train. If you were looking for a bus alternative the B38 has a local and limited bus, and it runs really frequently- every 3-4 minutes during rush hours. I actually recently reworked my morning commute with the B38- I walk a little farther but it still saves me commute time in the end.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM

958 posts, read 2,800,774 times
I lived in Greenpoint and it was pretty reliable during peak hours but during nights and weekends, i've waited up to an hour for train. I didn't mind the transferring but from Greenpoint to the A was a long ride. The quickest for me to get down was the G to the L to the 4/5. It took me as quick as 35 mins door to door(if the trains came right away).

I grew up in Chicago and the G is probably similar to most lines in terms of frequency except for the Red and Blue Lines.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM

8,234 posts, read 6,273,021 times
The reputation comes from a former time. I used to call it the "G I hope I don't get mugged" train. It's also the only line that doesn't serve manhattan and the "special needs" "short bus" line with much fewer cars that a normal subway train

But it gets the job done and is safe now, even if you do have to wait forever on off times

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

56 posts, read 110,829 times
Yeah, I know, it was a long time ago, back when the G was the GG, but still:

Who wouldn't want to ride the G train?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The issue I would have would not be to work every day but if you do things late in the city or weekends. During off hours train run less frequent and having to take 2 trains could mean a lot of waiting. Say at night when they run every 20 minutes. You just miss the train, wait 20 minutes for the next then have to transfer to another train and wait another 20 minutes.
Exactly. From Greenpoint to West Harlem would have been a 10 minute drive, but took 55 minutes on the G, then L, then A.

Awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City