U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM

3,190 posts, read 6,345,953 times

Advertisements

I am a native Brooklynite, from Tompkins Houses. I rode on the GG everywhere, including junior high and high school in the mid-80s! In my Jr high years, they had the old R-10 cars, where the conductor had to go in between the cars and push down both latches to open and close the doors! Whether worker safety was discussed during the 1980 Transit strike, which was during the semester before I started Jr high, I don't know. But I don't recall a conductor ever falling between the cars, thank goodness!

Anyway, another issue with the GG at the time was the fact that the emergency brakes were always pulled, stopping the train, and taking about 15 minutes to restart! I also remember a teenager getting in one of the conductor cars and converting himself into an MC....."Eastern in the houuuuse!" (Eastern District High is now Grand Street Campus!). And some cats from Eastern, Automotive and Eli start actining a fool up, in other ways, up in the GG! (LOL!)

I don't think the MTA ever treated the G/GG as good as other lines. This is evident when, in 2002, the agency reduced the line to 4 cars. I wonder if folk from the neighborhoods the G went though went to the MTA hearings to contest the reduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City