U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 PM

11 posts, read 16,315 times

Advertisements

I could use some native New Yorker wisdom for my move!

My girlfriend and I are knee-deep in apartment hunting in New York for a move this summer. We both love the general vibe of Clinton Hill, but I'll be working in midtown and every time I mention to someone we're looking there they're like, "Oh man, I could never live on the G train."

We've used it a few times and we haven't seen anything wrong. Maybe it's because we're coming from Chicago so we're accustomed to waiting 10 or 12 minutes instead of 5 minutes, but it has to be more than "it's a little less frequent and you have to make a quick transfer to Manhattan that adds 5 minutes to your trip" or else I wouldn't be hearing friends of friends say they would never live on the G train no matter how affordable it was or how much they liked the area otherwise.

If someone could shed some light on why we should avoid the G train (or why this is bogus) I'd be really grateful! Any frame of reference from Chicago living would be helpful but not necessary.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM

2,508 posts, read 3,524,958 times
It's not so bad. The issue is that it does not go into Manhattan so you inevitably have to transfer. With the exception of this morning, every time I've taken it, it's arrived exactly on time. Yes the subways have a schedule and I have an app that tells me when the next train should arrive and the G train almost always comes when it's supposed to. The C train on the other hand, seems to always arrive late! So despite the need to transfer, I find the G far more reliable (schedule wise) than the C. Oh yeah, the G is also 4 cars long (as opposed to 8) so if the train pulls into the station just as you are coming down the stairs, you'll have to run for dear life to the center of the platform before the doors close and it pulls out the station. That is a gripe of mine about the G.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM

8,475 posts, read 20,318,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguard View Post
I could use some native New Yorker wisdom for my move!

My girlfriend and I are knee-deep in apartment hunting in New York for a move this summer. We both love the general vibe of Clinton Hill, but I'll be working in midtown and every time I mention to someone we're looking there they're like, "Oh man, I could never live on the G train."

We've used it a few times and we haven't seen anything wrong. Maybe it's because we're coming from Chicago so we're accustomed to waiting 10 or 12 minutes instead of 5 minutes, but it has to be more than "it's a little less frequent and you have to make a quick transfer to Manhattan that adds 5 minutes to your trip" or else I wouldn't be hearing friends of friends say they would never live on the G train no matter how affordable it was or how much they liked the area otherwise.

If someone could shed some light on why we should avoid the G train (or why this is bogus) I'd be really grateful! Any frame of reference from Chicago living would be helpful but not necessary.

Thanks so much in advance!
"Oh man, I could never live on the G train" is a ridiculously outdated yarn,repeated mindlessly by people who don't know any better.Many of them have probably never been on a G train.When they first moved to NYC they heard somewhere from some other transplant who has also never been on a G train that the G train wasn't hip.The flip side is "I would never live on any line except the L because to live anywhere on the L is cool." If anyone said to me that they could never live on the G ,I would dismiss them as nitwits and avoid them for the rest of my life.People not worth knowing or giving any time to.

Find some friends who have developed critical thinking skills.Clinton Hill is a much more interesting and livable neighborhood than anything on the L.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-09-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,183,055 times
I live on the G. It is by far the most reliable and least crowded train I have lived on.

Plenty of people who live on other trains still have a transfer in their commute, so that logic is silly.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM

103 posts, read 106,717 times
The G has the advantage of transfers to the 7, E, and M at Court House Square, to the L at Metropolitan Avenue, to the A and C at Hoyt-Schemerhorn, and to the F (Coney-bound) at Church. The G has the disadvantage of having been truncated at Court Square. For more than 70 years it served local stations on the Queens Blvd route to Forest Hills. During that period, it was truly the Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown, bringing high school students from Queens to Brooklyn Tech and Loughlin, bringing Greenpointers to Rego Park for jobs and shopping. The Queens politicians, however, demanded that all Queens Blvd trains go to Manhattan, forcing the Queens-Brooklyn riders to lose ten minutes walking through the Court Square passageways and awaiting the next train.
---
For those going to Manhattan, the transfers listed above may make the G worthwhile.
Joe

Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM

573 posts, read 1,280,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The flip side is "I would never live on any line except the L because to live anywhere on the L is cool."

Clinton Hill is a much more interesting and livable neighborhood than anything on the L.
Church. It seems obvious that no stop on the G line is comparable to the level of sketchiness you find at the 7 stops on the L that go thru Bushwick and Brownsville/ENY...

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,489,851 times
The G train is really not bad.

Occasionally like with any line there is work on the weekends. For example, 2 weekends ago, the G was only running from Court Square once every half hour. Slightly inconvenient.

It also doesn't have as many cars as a "full" subway train so it can get a bit crowded. Again, minor inconvenience. (Post Sandy it ran with more cars for a little while to help alleviate transit issues)

The biggest issue is also the hipsters on board! (Just kidding!!!)

Other than not being directly connected to Manhattan, it's definitely not the worst line.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM

21,414 posts, read 28,216,529 times
I guess living near ANY train is a lot better than NOT living near a train.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM

32,037 posts, read 32,848,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I guess living near ANY train is a lot better than NOT living near a train.
It is probably no worse than living near the M train which becomes a local shuttle train at night.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,780,395 times
It's not the most reliable and some people don't want to have to transfer trains to reach Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City