Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 AM

11 posts, read 77,069 times

Advertisements

I took the Subway Conductor exam in December 2008 and I just called up for pre-interview. I have to go on May 22nd. I'm quite concerned that the MTA might not hire me because I made a threat to a manager at my past job at CVS/pharmacy back in 2007 that I was going to punch her in the face. Also, I haven't had a job ever since that, so I've been unemployed for the past 6 years. I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I also get food stamps, and I've been going to school full time for the past 3 years. I'm 26 years old now and I live with my father and he still supports me financially, until I finish up school and get a job. Anway, also does having such a huge gap of not being employed affect me with the MTA in hiring me? I've been looking for a job now for the longest, but with this thing that happened in CVS, plus the bad economy has made both factors in my finding a job impossible. And also another thing, I read on the letter the MTA sent me saying that they do credit checks to all potential employees for all positions. My credit isn't all that good right now, will they not hire me because of my credit? I'm concern with my situation, because I really want this job badly but all these negative things on my record makes me think I might not get hired. What do ya think? This has me worried
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 AM

912 posts, read 2,089,074 times
Man up and enlist. Do it for Uncle Sam

Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Stp worrying. You're not getting the job dude. Just like you thought. Right on.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM

297 posts, read 726,267 times
Potential assault of a woman? Living on the taxpayers of NY dime? Nah...

Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM

131 posts, read 337,250 times
Default Honesty

The MTA is one of the few city jobs left where you get a 2nd chance regardless of your past. The thing that WON'T get you hired or that will get you fired is lying on any of your applications. So you do have a chance, just be honest, because when they do the background check and it does not mesh w/your application you will be out, that includes any legal problems.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM

235 posts, read 372,282 times
Since your father can help you financially, take advantage and pay off that bad credit! You should try to work in another 'CVS' (or another drugstore) or a McDonalds or whatever you can get and be very good with saving money and pay off that bad credit first. Also try to be a good co-worker and patience person and not threaten your bosses or other employees again. Then re-apply again.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,691,157 times
I wouldn't worry about the CVS job. It was 6 years ago and that manager probably isn't even there anymore. Also, companies are VERY careful in what they say about past employees. They don't want to be sued for libel or slandar so they will most likely only provide your dates of employment and not elaborate on the reason(s) you were fired.

In your interview, do NOT go on and on and on about ANYTHING. Just answer the question. Yes, I worked at CVS from ___ to ____. If they ask why you left? I was let go. Why were you let go? I had a disagreement with my manager and they thought it best to let me go.

As for your credit? Why aren't you working to straighten that out?? If your father is supporting you financially in every other way, you can take a part time job and pay off or pay down your debt.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 AM

11 posts, read 77,069 times
Thanks so much for the info guys. I really hope the MTA doesn't care about the incident in CVS. I really want this Conductor job, that's where the money is really at lol

Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 AM

422 posts, read 807,669 times
I honestly think your credit should be the least of your or anyone else's problems. Why should they or anyone give a flying **** about the credit of a subway conductor? I mean they can already do a criminal background/employment/education/drug tests and that should be enough. Is there documented evidence that people with bad credit score are more likely to crash a subway or something? Sometimes I wonder if credit checks are just a contractual money making scheme for the credit rating agencies anyways or some lame scheme to keep the HR bureaucrats occupied, I knew of people with bad credit in the past that supposedly had employment credit checks and they were hired anyways. More and more states are making credit checks for employment illegal or severely limited anyways (Illinois included) and good riddance but that is an off topic rant.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
I honestly think your credit should be the least of your or anyone else's problems. Why should they or anyone give a flying **** about the credit of a subway conductor? I mean they can already do a criminal background/employment/education/drug tests and that should be enough.
I would think there would be a couple of reasons why the credit is checked:
1) Employer wants to see WHY you didn't fullfill your obligation to pay your debt. (as in what type of person is this). Now, of course, they might be reasons that are entirely liget that one got to this point with his credit (school loan etc) but on the other hand "let's see what he didn't pay".
2) In this job market, with a gazillion apllicants...Employer says "Why bother,,,next".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: