Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,299,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think maybe a bit.Have you gone to Arthur Avenue and shopped in any of the markets and eaten in any of the restaurants?Have you checked out the architecture on The Concourse or the victorian houses in Bedford Park? Driven or walked down Mosholu Parkway and Pelham Parkway ?Been to Morris Park ? City Island ?Lower Grand Concourse ?

Plenty to explore and ways to get around without ever setting foot in any really bad parts.Actually you can get from Riverdale all the way across to City Island without going through any "really bad " neighborhoods.
I've been to a few neighborhoods... Pelham Bay and Morris Park are nice and I was supposed to go to Arthur Avenue with a friend of mine who is from the Bronx, but haven't gotten around to it yet. She grew up there in Belmont. I hear the food there is pretty good. Why did you say in another thread that Pelham Parkway is on the decline? I'm confused since you've said in other threads that it is a nice area. What drew you to the Bronx if I may ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,612,872 times
the bike path along Mosholu pkwy wins my award for everything a bike path should be. my biggest problem with it is should i use the Norwood path or the Bedford path. i always end up switching over to the Bedford side from Norwood because I find Bedford to be more quaint and nicer than Norwood. i like the little paths you can take to get over to the streets from the green.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,023,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I've been to a few neighborhoods... Pelham Bay and Morris Park are nice and I was supposed to go to Arthur Avenue with a friend of mine who is from the Bronx. but haven't gotten around to it yet. She grew up there in Belmont. I hear the food there is pretty good. Why did you say in another thread that Pelham Parkway is on the decline? I'm confused since you've said in other threads that it is a nice area.
I personally don't think it's on the decline at all.In that instance I was responding to a specific question posed by someone who wondered why Asians moving into places like Pelham Parkway wasn't considered "gentrification".I was trying to point out how tricky it is to try to ascribe that term to already middle class white or formerly white areas.I then pointed out that there are many people who do view Pelham Parkway as declining simply because it has transitioned from a majority white neighborhood to a very mixed neighborhood.The white population has dropped from 60% to 40% over the last 25 years.It was probably 90% white 50 years ago.My point was that to many,if not most people,an increasing white population is seen as gentrification while a decreasing white population is seen as a decline without even considering the incomes or economic status of those moving out v. those moving in.All most people see is a change in color or shade and they make assumptions based on that.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I personally don't think it's on the decline at all.In that instance I was responding to a specific question posed by someone who wondered why Asians moving into places like Pelham Parkway wasn't considered "gentrification".I was trying to point out how tricky it is to try to ascribe that term to already middle class white or formerly white areas.I then pointed out that there are many people who do view Pelham Parkway as declining simply because it has transitioned from a majority white neighborhood to a very mixed neighborhood.The white population has dropped from 60% to 40% over the last 25 years.My point was that to many,if not most people,an increasing white population is seen as gentrification while a decreasing white population is seen as a decline without even considering the incomes or economic status of those moving out v. those moving in.All most people see is a change in color or shade and they make assumptions based on that.
I can understand that. Different cultures often times live differently and so QOL (qualify of life) comes into question.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,108,784 times
Quote:
lol... I'd like to explore without any fear of my life being at stake...
If you can handle walking past the sanitation garage on Jersey Street after dark, I don't think your life would exactly be at stake if you went walking around some Bronx neighborhoods during the day.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Why do you buy into that nonsense? Most of The Bronx is perfectly safe,especially during the day.Turn of the TV with all that hype of the latest crime and get out and about.You'd probably be pleasantly surprised.It could be liberating.Before I moved to The Bronx I bought into a lot of that nonsense too but I've taken it upon myself to get out and explore almost every nook and cranny.The Bronx is actually quite an interesting place...and pretty harmless for the most part.

You might have to find a special soap however to cover up the smell of fear.
When you went exploring did you drive around or go on foot?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM

9,242 posts, read 24,023,373 times
Quote:
When you went exploring did you drive around or go on foot?
I don't have a car but I walk a lot...everywhere.Sometimes I take busses or subways part of the way and then walk around.You don't really see as much in cars anyway.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I don't have a car but I walk a lot...everywhere.Sometimes I take busses or subways part of the way and then walk around.You don't really see as much in cars anyway.
I guess I could always drive around then park and walk around a bit too. You and rlrl seem to know a bit so I'll keep my eyes open.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM

33,866 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
I get out here and there in the Bronx and quite frankly I haven't been too impressed. The nicer parts of Kingsbridge border Riverdale and past Broadway (east) in most parts it is quite depressing. I know of the nice parts of the Bronx like Pelham Bay, Morris Park, Country Club and parts of Pelham Parkway. In fact the area immediately by the Bronx Zoo is very nice. The issue is the bad parts are REALLY bad. I'm not even fond of Kingsbridge aside from select parts west of Broadway in the 230s. Am I being too pessimistic?
Kingsbrisge is nowhere near the level of anything bad in the Bronx. I'm a pretty well traveled guy when it comes to the 5 boroughs and trust me I've been in some rough areas of the Bronx....Kingsbridge is nothing to worry about.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Kingsbrisge is nowhere near the level of anything bad in the Bronx. I'm a pretty well traveled guy when it comes to the 5 boroughs and trust me I've been in some rough areas of the Bronx....Kingsbridge is nothing to worry about.
Even others here have said that some parts are not great and they have traveled around more in the Bronx than I have. I don't know what to think about your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City