U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 60,336 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just bought a house in Brooklyn and am facing a weekly problem with cars partially blocking my driveway. I can drive around them to get in but when my neighbors car is parked in their driveway as well (the driveways are next to each other), it becomes a real pain in the rear.

So, my question is how much does a car have to be over the driveway border to be ticketed for blocking a driveway?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,486,850 times
There used to be a 4 foot rule, but I believe it was removed from the traffic code. Now it's really to the discretion of the police officer. With that being said, even if they are only inches on your driveway, they can technically be ticketed. You can always make a complaint and see what happens.

Googled it and confirmed a simliar view here
http://www.justanswer.com/law/0s7m4-...y-thought.html

Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM

590 posts, read 1,007,152 times
Call 311 and get it ticketed. Then have it towed. I've done this multiple times.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM

I am just not sure if this is enough to get them ticketed. This car has been there for almost 2 days now. It doesn't seem like much but it's a real pain getting in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
partial driveway blocking-20130514_201105-1.jpg  

Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM

922 posts, read 1,935,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Call 311 and get it ticketed. Then have it towed. I've done this multiple times.

What Cee4 saids, I've seen my neighbor from across the street done this numerous times. Because
their house is smaller than the average house on the block, there is really not enough room for the
average size cars/SUV to park in front of their house. ( Only those mini cars can fit)The thing is when
people are desperate(or lazy) for a parking spot, they will try very hard to connivance themselves
that their car can fit in the small spot, even though it was obviously blocking people's driveway
partially.

My neighbor's wife always have to drive their kids to school and back home everyday, and her driving
skill is not all that good, when the driveway is partially blocked, she can't even move her car back in
the garage. She is a nice and friendly lady, but still forced to keep calling 311 and the cops to clear the
car from the driveway. If you don't do it, the same drivers will think is okay to park at the spot the
next time they looking for parking space. So... I totally understand your frustration with the people
keep blocking your driveway because I've seen it first hand how annoying it was for my neighbor.

Since you just bought the house and new to the neighborhood, you might want to find out who the car
belong to first, in case it was your immediate next door neighbors or someone within the block. Then
you can knock on their door and tell them nicely about the problem, instead of towing your neighbors
car the first time and making new enemy in the block.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks. The car in question has Texas license plates, so I'd guess the owner of this vehicle is visiting someone on this block or next.
The biggest problem is that my wife is staying home with two little kids and can't get the stroller out of the garage if our car is parked in the driveway. So, these two days I had to park my car elsewhere (it's usually parked on the street in that same spot) every morning just to clear the driveway for my wife...

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

590 posts, read 1,007,152 times
That is enough to get it ticketed. You will have more success if you go to the closest precinct yourself if its in walking distance and request a ticket to be done. Meet the officers who come in person and explain to them why its blocking you (making it hard to get in and out) and they should agree. I have a similar situation to your driveway where big cars want to park there making it hard to leave.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM

So, I called. The cops slowly drove by about an hour later, looked at that car without getting out of their cruiser and left...

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 PM

32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Since you just bought the house and new to the neighborhood, you might want to find out who the car
belong to first, in case it was your immediate next door neighbors or someone within the block. Then
you can knock on their door and tell them nicely about the problem, instead of towing your neighbors
car the first time and making new enemy in the block.
I think this is a good plan.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM

922 posts, read 1,935,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermk View Post
So, I called. The cops slowly drove by about an hour later, looked at that car without getting out of their cruiser and left...
You should've listen to cee4 and waited for the officers outside the house when they were coming. Then
you could explain to them in person your problem about your wife and two little kids can't get the stroller
out of the garage with the cars parked there. The officers would probably much more sympathetic to your
complaint and a better understanding of why you need the car removed.

But without meeting the officers in person explaining your situation, the officers were probably thinking
you are just one of those extremly territorial house owner who think they own the front area of their
house. And you are wasting their time because the car is just a few inch into your driveway, and you
are making a big deal out of it.

If the officers refuse to ticket the car after you talk to them in person, they might still be able to run the
plate, find out the name, address and phone number of the person on the car's registration, and maybe
give the car owner a call? (I don't know if they can get the phone number of the car owner or not, I'm just
guessing on phone number part, wouldn't hurt asking the officers )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City