Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,280,412 times

Advertisements

NYC is full of different accents (East European accent right here), and some may be harder to comprehend than others. Which ones are difficult for you to understand?

West Indian accents completely baffle me. The way people from Trinidad and Jamaica blur their consonants is confusing tbh. Haitian accents are even harder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM

439 posts, read 894,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
West Indian accents completely baffle me. The way people from Trinidad and Jamaica blur their consonants is confusing tbh. Haitian accents are even harder
I'm on the same boat as you with the caribbean folk. Some of them have some pretty thick accents that are hard to understand.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 AM

916 posts, read 2,239,587 times
I think the most difficult accent to understand from my experience is calling tech support to India if
that counts. It's harder to understand what people are talking about on the phone even without the
accent alrready, now you add crappy phone voice, random technical jargons with HEAVY accent into
it. You'll be going like WTF did he just said? Can you repeat that again please..... What do you mean
^#$%^$# again? And it's embarassing for both side if you keep asking someone to repeat themselves,
It gets so awkward you want to change subject or just say "I got it!".

I'm by no means computer illiterate, maybe it's the rhythm of the way they speak that is so different
compare to American English speakers. It probably takes time to get use to it, I bet they have no
problem understanding each other if they speak with the same heavy accent to another Indian. I guess
the more exposure you get with certain accent, the easier it is to understand. But then once a while
you get an Indian tech support that speaks perfect English without any discernible accent at all.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 AM

48 posts, read 144,985 times
For me as a Europeaner, the hardest accents are the British and the American Southener... especially the second... half of the spelling is left behind when they talk and me as a foreigner I'm just trying to put the puzzle together xD

edit: i know a few grom guyana, and they are also very hard to understand, but i think its more the broken english lol

Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,558,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfmade92 View Post
For me as a Europeaner, the hardest accents are the British and the American Southener... especially the second... half of the spelling is left behind when they talk and me as a foreigner I'm just trying to put the puzzle together xD

edit: i know a few grom guyana, and they are also very hard to understand, but i think its more the broken english lol

My husband is originally from central European (though he's lived in NYC for over 20 years) and his biggest issue is with think British accents. We have to put subtitles on for some movies haha.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,890,797 times
Of English speaking countries the hardest for me to understand is the Scottish accent. Maybe some Caribbean or African countries as well.

Of non-English speaking countries, it's
Asians. Especially Thai, and some Chinese.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM

483 posts, read 867,582 times
In my life experience, I think 2 are hard to comprehend: 1)Filipino (tagalog/high pitch) 2)Spanglish talk.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,496,294 times
For some reason, I have an impossible time with Irish accents, which is sort of embarrassing for me.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,362,378 times
sometimes english-speaking nigerians and russians.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,280,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Of English speaking countries the hardest for me to understand is the Scottish accent. Maybe some Caribbean or African countries as well.

Of non-English speaking countries, it's
Asians. Especially Thai, and some Chinese.
Yeah, Thai is also confusing. I live a mile away from a Thai area, and it's still hard to understand at times

Out of the English speaking countries, Irish is the hardest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City