Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:18 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,554,726 times

Advertisements

Midtown doesn't have to be that bad if you know the right avenues/ streets to take.

I find downtown to be hectic, like Canal Street on a Friday afternoon.

My tips would just be to be cognizant of slow traffic which can cause you to get stuck in the box. Don't block the box!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM

483 posts, read 867,130 times
For low-stress drive in mid-town Manhattan, I suggest only drive on Sundays... Parking is better, too.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,357,752 times
wait until after 10 pm.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,272,372 times
I find Midtown to be an issue only if you are headed to the tunnels; otherwise, it's not terribly difficult driving, just slow. Lower Manhattan, I agree, can be more confusing for those who do not know it well, with narrow, one-way streets, and the lack of the grid pattern.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 AM

340 posts, read 1,182,482 times
There is no key. If u know how to drive then u can drive anywhere. If u don't know how to drive then u should stay off the streets.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM

297 posts, read 727,021 times
I just find it funny because whenever I am there it seems like traffic is running about 90 mph and then pedestrians always seem to be pissed off at drivers as if they have the right of way everywhere, not the cars.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
I just find it funny because whenever I am there it seems like traffic is running about 90 mph and then pedestrians always seem to be pissed off at drivers as if they have the right of way everywhere, not the cars.

Traffic seems to be at 90mph?? Where? The Westside highway??

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,622,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
The worst is a driver who slows when he sees you in a crosswalk, total waste of your time. A car reducing speed will not make me want me to walk in front of it any more than one going fast. The only difference is now I have to wait for grandpa to clear the intersection because I can get on my way

Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,516,546 times
I can't wait to start dodging tourists on Citibikes.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,157,720 times
It's not worth driving in Midtown, walking is much more pleasant. Mass transit (subways) is often as fast or faster. Biking is normally faster.

•Not worth driving around Manhattan during rush hour, it sucks. In fact, it sucks driving through most major arteries in the city during this time.

•Parking. Street parking can be very hard to come by at certain times of day. Garages are expensive. I posted a thread previously about the recent evaluation of the parking laws in this area. There are no parking minimums, however there was a brief period when there was. The update now allows owners and developer to remove those grandfathered spots. Expect a dramatic decline in parking over the next couple decades.

•Congestion pricing is coming. It's a matter of when. On the plus side, those that must enter the congestion zone will benefit from less traffic, pedestrians will benefit from less pollution, collisions, road wear, and the revenue could be used for improvements in mass transit.

•Expect more street closures, more aggressive traffic calming and camera enforcement (yes, speed cameras) coming soon.

So the only trick is, don't drive in Midtown!

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 05-17-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City