Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 5,969 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I've just completed my MBA and have started sending/posting my resume. Most of the replies that I have received have been sales jobs for insurance companies. It seems like this is common with most people who have MBA's. I received an offer to apply for Prudential's Financial Professional. Is this a sales job? I believe they used to call this position Prudential Financial Representative about 5 years ago but the word "representative" was a give away for sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM

138 posts, read 246,623 times
Absolutely a sales job. You shouldn't have completed / paid to complete an MBA only to get this job. Does your college have a career center, and if so, have you utilized it? What jobs are most of your classmates doing? ... Do you have prior work experience?

How good is your LinkedIn presence? Are you connected to hundreds of recruiters at staffing agencies? (you should be)

What job do you really want to do?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries124 View Post
Hello.
I've just completed my MBA and have started sending/posting my resume. Most of the replies that I have received have been sales jobs for insurance companies. It seems like this is common with most people who have MBA's. I received an offer to apply for Prudential's Financial Professional. Is this a sales job? I believe they used to call this position Prudential Financial Representative about 5 years ago but the word "representative" was a give away for sales.
If you graduated with an MBA and that's all you're getting, you did something wrong.

Those positions are given to anyone that wants them. They are 100% commission based sales positions. If you don't have a network it will be ROUGH to get started. They say to basically be able to go with no income for 6 months. If you are good though, there most definitely is a great potential to make a lot of money. There is also potential to make no money. It all depends on how good of a sales person you are.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
i am not sure who we should dis-trust more , a used car salesman or an annuity salesman. ha ha ha..... i will go with annuity salesman.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
Yeah absolutely no barriers to entry for these positions. Certainly not a typical entry level job for a post MBA student

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM

148 posts, read 276,824 times
If you're a MBA and you don't know how to sell you're not quite a master. That position includes Mutual Funds and Life and series license sponsorships. Not a beginner's move though. Contrary to everybody (including myself) who spent a ton of money on college, it's experience that trumps a degree. It's a good position for somebody who is experienced in selling who wants to move on to financial products.

Also, annuity "salesman" do and can get their asses sued for fudging one number. It's not 5 years ago. That is IF the person can pass through suitability which looks at every cent a person has and makes sure they can't screw themselves.

Car Salesmen don't get sued, can't lose a license to sell, and don't have a suitability committee to see if the car is a frugal decision. Otherwise, there wouldn't be half the luxury vehicles on the road there are now.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,020 times
Jeez, that would be a pretty bad job for someone who spent all the time and effort to get an MBA.

IMO it isn't worth getting an MBA unless you're going to a top 10 or so program.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,020 times
Also I'm pretty sure Prudential do not employ their own financial representatives. They aren't like Fidelity or Charles Schwab where they have local financial advisor/planner offices. As far as I know they work by selling through independent financial planners---are you sure the position is actually with Prudential?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
My MBA wasn't worth the vellum it was printed on.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
It's a sales job. Either you will be selling insurance and/or financial products. In fairness, investment banking, the indistry that many MBAs want to get into, is also sales as you move higher up the ladder (MD).

If you do not want to sell, try applying for a credit analyst/reviewer job in a bank. Pay is not high but you won't have to meet a quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City