Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

I used no inspector but I DID ascertain the elevators were all replaced 4 years ago, and the building had just recently been repointed and somewhat even rebricked where needed within the last 5 years. A jillion good new windows were put in within the last decade.
So the really big items shouldn't loom anytime soon.

Only big expense is going to be externally mandated and is going to hit a LOT of people: ALL BOILERS in the city must switch away from #6 oil by the next boiler recertification. We are going for a dual system for #2 oil immediately and natural gas when it is available. Natural gas needs a 50 story new chimney.
I hope the co-op has set aside some moneyy for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times
I used an inspector for my condo. He tested for things like mold, moisture in the walls, plumbing, wiring, gaps where pests could come in, as well as the common elements like the roof and basement and heating and cooling systems. I think it's absolutely worth the few hundred dollars it costs to have a through inspection done by a professional regardless of condo or single family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City