Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,577 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data forumers of NYC!

I am planning to move to NYC after a graduate from George Mason or Old Dominion University in the long future (6-8 years later). I'm currently a Junior in high school. I was really looking forward to moving here until I saw the gun laws.

If I'm correct, if you cannot register an "assualt" weapon on or before the deadline of January 15, 2014, then they are completely banned from the state? So, that means there's no way I can bring in any "assault" firearm into the state of New York, because of a simple thumb hole stock? The rifle I plan on investing on is a VEPR. It comes with a 5 round magazine and a thumb hole stock.

Here is VEPR with a thumb hole stock or pistol grip, would look like. In case anyone didn't know. Both are banned under the law by January 16th, 2014.

What can I do about this??? I'm really disappointed about this law... I really want to move to NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 PM

167 posts, read 306,123 times
we'll have phasers by the year 2020, and case law hasn't yet been established for those, so I wouldn't really worry too much about it yet

you'll be able to get your weapon fix.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM

409 posts, read 497,865 times
My advice, leave your weapons out of state w. a friend. Seriously, the guns laws here are just ridiculous.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
My advice, leave your weapons out of state w. a friend. Seriously, the guns laws here are just ridiculous.
Yeah, I might have to leave the guns with friends and family out of state. Or maybe I can commute from New Jersey to New York???

Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 PM

167 posts, read 306,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Yeah, I might have to leave the guns with friends and family out of state. Or maybe I can commute from New Jersey to New York???
hm I know of several hardcore survivalists that live in NJ and do this

Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
And then there is the obvious question: Why would you NEED this weapon in New York City?

And there is the obvious answer: You DON'T!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
I agree. Keep your guns in storage back in your home state. New York is virtually a giant gun-free zone...it's not worth the hassle.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM

409 posts, read 497,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
And then there is the obvious question: Why would you NEED this weapon in New York City?

Why do people need a Bugatti Veyron, or a supercharged V12 in their car?

As long as they don't go Section 8 or break any laws, I'm okay w. them owning these implements.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

The same thing is often addressed with cigarettes. alcohol, and even junk food. Things you don't need, but in the end, people feel like they should eat or smoke whatever they want, even if it hurts their health.

You don't NEED this weapon or any firearm in NYC, but I believe that everyone should be their own first responders when it comes to a life threatening situation, not the police; and thus they MAY (but obviously don't HAVE to) choose to arm themselves with a pistol, shotgun, rifle or whatever.

What I don't get is banning certain "assualt" features on a rifle, like it's going to make it any less deadlier than it already was. And even banning "assault" weapons in the first place...since they account for less than 1% of the gun deaths in the United States.

But anyways, I found a NY legal version of what I was looking for by the way. It doesn't have a thumb hole nor a pistol grip. I'm bringing this baby in!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
OP, you are young yet and so perhaps haven't figured out that there are priorities one needs to live successfully here -- and a gun isn't one of them. Instead of worrying so much about the legality of various weapons, worry about your education, how you'll finance college, what you'll study, what you'll do for a living, and how you can find an apartment. Worry about who your friends will be and worry about who you'll fall in love with. Those are the things you will need to live in New York City and live here well.

Worrying about being your own "first responder" and what types of weapons are legal eight years before you might actually come here is a waste of your time and energy.

Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: