Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Don't give me that BS, man. I've spent enough time in the Bronx to make my own judgments about how I feel about the place. I don't need you telling me what to think. Your proximity to the borough doesn't give you some kind of ownership over it, or the ability to tell people who don't live there what they should or should not think about it. I can decide for myself.
But you should not be posting an opinion in a public forum about a place in which you lived only briefly.
I am a native but I know little about the Bronx and I would seldom, therefore, assert an opinion myself.

I do know many people who live in Riverdale, by the way, and many feel as the poster does. And all list "Riverdale" rather than "Bronx" in their addresses. Just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
At least I live in New York. You don't live in the country!!

How they are fooling anyone by putting Riverdale, NY for the mailing address? They live in Riverdale in New York. You make it sound as if they put Riverdale, but lived in Queens or something. For your information, they do it not to "fool" anyone but because that's the way we do things in Riverdale. The businesses also put Riverdale, NY on their mailings. Why? Because that's the way it's been here for many years, and the people that live here take pride in their neighborhood and are proud of where they live. We're not like everyone else and certainly not like the Bronx. We do things the way that we see fit in our neighborhood and whoever doesn't like it, well that's just tough.

I don't go around telling people how they should do things in their neighborhood...
If people in Riverdale feel this way why don't the start an official campaign to separate from the Bronx and/or New York City?

If people in Riverdale voted to separate from the Bronx, and if the state allowed it, you would officially be in Riverdale (Riverdale is technically in the Bronx county). I'm not arguing with you, I'm just wondering why you guys don't make it official if you feel that way. Maybe you should set up an online petition and circulate it among people in Riverdale. LOL

Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
The people that consider Riverdale independent of the Bronx and NYC are a small yet annoying minority. Most people that I know from Riverdale recognize that it is part of the Bronx+NYC and honestly don't care otherwise. If anyone tried to pass this "not part of the Bronx" BS Grosvenor is trying to pass, I would laugh in their face.

This thread moved way off topic. Now that the "Ghetto Bronx Tour" is over, let's discuss how the Bronx can increase tourism outside Yankee Stadium/Bronx Zoo.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I side with Grosvenor. He can say he is from whatever place he wants to say is from. We all know Riverdale is part of the Bronx. Yet, they don't feel like that, so what? Let'em say whatever they like... If I want to say I live in PLuto, WhoTF are you to tell me I don't...

Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The people that consider Riverdale independent of the Bronx and NYC are a small yet annoying minority. Most people that I know from Riverdale recognize that it is part of the Bronx+NYC and honestly don't care otherwise. If anyone tried to pass this "not part of the Bronx" BS Grosvenor is trying to pass, I would laugh in their face.

This thread moved way off topic. Now that the "Ghetto Bronx Tour" is over, let's discuss how the Bronx can increase tourism outside Yankee Stadium/Bronx Zoo.
Yup, yet another Grosvenor "I HEART RIVERDALE" thread-jacking. Let's all just have a laugh now because only transplants would think that Riverdale is anything other than a Bronx neighborhood. But hey, if it makes these certain people think they're superior, more power to 'em. In everyday real life, no one gives a crap. My aunt uses "Bronx, NY 10471".

To answer your remaining post, it's a pity that there really isn't a true Bronx tour because the Bronx has some beautiful topography. You have shorelines reminiscent of Amity Island (City Island, Throgs Neck), hills, expansive parkland, cliffs. Ethnic restaurants aplenty. Apartment buildings with character (the deco buildings are flat out gorgeous). Unfortunately, way too many people buy into what they see on TV, hear and it's a shame.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Bronx's fame, which is played to the tourists is the poverty, crime, drugs, murder, rumble. perpetually burning buildings. That's what Bronx means in Kansas folklore. That's what sells. From the ashes of South Bronx, there rose Jennifer Lopez, Sotomayor, Fat Joe, India, Al Pacino, Eric Holder and so on. It's a fascinating line of BS, but hey it sells.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
I haven't read the posts on here, but I think this COULD have been a good idea. Show people that people are struggling. Show them how poverty hurts people, then accept donations to assist the poor. What better way to have people open then eyes then to take them to areas they would never ever want to go to. Maybe chat with people in the neighborhood that are struggling badly.

But this is just a slap in the face. "Come 'on, Honey. We can't close our eyes to the plight of the city. Kids, you noticing all this plight?"

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
^-The image of a "burnt out" Bronx is dying right behind the concept of a "lawless" New York City.

The Bronx is becoming known as the comeback kid. Rightly deserved considering the significant changes since so far in the 21st century.

Well reserved:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I haven't read the posts on here, but I think this COULD have been a good idea. Show people that people are struggling. Show them how poverty hurts people, then accept donations to assist the poor. What better way to have people open then eyes then to take them to areas they would never ever want to go to. Maybe chat with people in the neighborhood that are struggling badly.

But this is just a slap in the face. "Come 'on, Honey. We can't close our eyes to the plight of the city. Kids, you noticing all this plight?"
That wasn't the intent. These people weren't intended to leave that tour thinking "how can we help end poverty", more like "wish I witnessed a crime". Similar to voyeurism.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If people in Riverdale feel this way why don't the start an official campaign to separate from the Bronx and/or New York City?

If people in Riverdale voted to separate from the Bronx, and if the state allowed it, you would officially be in Riverdale (Riverdale is technically in the Bronx county). I'm not arguing with you, I'm just wondering why you guys don't make it official if you feel that way. Maybe you should set up an online petition and circulate it among people in Riverdale. LOL
I think this article explains a lot:

Riverdale's dividing lines not found on maps - The Riverdale Press

"Even today, some Riverdalians set themselves apart by writing Riverdale, N.Y., when penning their addresses on letters — a quiet protest that began in the 1960s when the Post Office decided only the 10471 zip code could be considered Riverdale. Others, who are proud to acknowledge they live in the Bronx, are dismissed because the neighborhood doesn’t “count” toward perceptions of poverty and crime."

“There’s a status associated with living in Riverdale and the status is that it’s not really part of the Bronx,” said Betty Begley, who considers herself a mid-central-north Riverdale resident.”

I don't think we would have an issue making it official. The question is would the Bronx want it that way? I don't think they would. I have neighbors that live here in Riverdale that would not for a second consider living in the Bronx. Many Manhattanites move here with the same attitude. Riverdale is not the Bronx.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
I know NYkiddo. I was just saying it could have been something great and retained both sides. Look at the plight and the thrill of being in a dangerous area but allowing funds to help support and lift up the area. But of course that would be generous and moral, while this is just easy money off of white Euro rich families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City