Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

They actually have tours of the ghetto/poor parts of Eastern Europe its disgusting....it shows Humanity will do anything to make a quick buck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
Of course that rag newspaper, the New York Post only tells half the story. Most of the tour is actually about the redeeming aspects of the Bronx and how far it has come since its nadir. If it really was about how shockingly ghetto the Bronx currently is then I would demand a refund after the tour.

::: REAL BRONX TOURS :::

Get off the beaten path and see more of New York than just Manhattan. Let us show you the Bronx as it really is, a borough of diverse ethnic groups and neighborhoods, cultural institutions and surprising natural beauty.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
I think it's funny. And I think that's why she has to embellish and make up factoids. Because each day it's becoming less of a ghetto. But, then, I bet we'll hear from old geezers complaining about how much they miss the days when there was urine, drugs, and blood on the streets. Ah, the good old days. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Is there anything still worth seeing? She should lead the tour to Detroit.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
yo, she is anything.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
It does look like tour's Web site points out that tourists wll see the good and intersting parts of the Bronx (Yankee Stadium, Little Italy) as well as the slummy parts. Leave it to the NY Post to sensationalize and distort.

That said, making poverty a tourist attraction is pretty low. I mean, if Parisians want to see poverty, they can vist the dark-skinned, unemployed, alienated people from Africa and the West Indides, warehoused in the crime-ridden banlieues outside their city. And having seen those places, I bet they wouldn't dare take a tour there. By comparison, the South Bronx looks pretty damn good.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Yes this is pretty shameful...

Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
The funniest part about this is that this idiot is from Pittsburgh

Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Ok let's take a second here and think about this. I do not believe this woman is doing anything wrong..she is meeting a demand, and that is, the curiousity of outsiders about poverty in the USA, and specifically NYC. Instead of going through the usual trendy tours of NYC, people want to see the uglier/darker side...and that is normal.

I find it so deliciously ironic that the Bronx politicians who are the biggest poverty pimps (particularly those quoted in the article) have an issue with a woman doing the exact same thing. Maybe they don't want competition? The Bronx has wealth, and it has epic poverty, so why can't people see both? Are we only allowed to show one part of the Bronx to the world? Pretending the food lines and vast poverty doesn't exist does not solve the problem, and if there are those who want to see and learn about the challenges and economic plight of a lot of NYers and the lives they lead..so what?

Here is the solution Ruben Diaz: Stop pimping poverty in the Bronx, actually do your job and start creating solutions and then there won't be such a tour. Until then, S.T.F.U.

And for the record, there is a tour van (2 of them) that come by my block just about every day between 10-11am...I believe they are called nyveatours or something like that. And the presumption is they are doing the same thing this woman is doing. I am thinking about wearing a jockstrap and watering my plants as they drive by...

Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I mean, if Parisians want to see poverty, they can vist the dark-skinned, unemployed, alienated people from Africa and the West Indides, warehoused in the crime-ridden banlieues outside their city. And having seen those places, I bet they wouldn't dare take a tour there. By comparison, the South Bronx looks pretty damn good.
They actually had bus tours for tourists in the northern suburbs a few years ago, St Denis/ Auber/La Courneuve area if you see what I'm talking about. I'm pretty familiar with these towns, and yes you're right they look rather depressing, even though the crime rate is higher in Mott Haven. Lot of tension around here, especially since the 2005 riots. Parisians usually don't venture into these parts, unless they have a real good reason to do so.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Ok let's take a second here and think about this. I do not believe this woman is doing anything wrong..she is meeting a demand, and that is, the curiousity of outsiders about poverty in the USA, and specifically NYC. Instead of going through the usual trendy tours of NYC, people want to see the uglier/darker side...and that is normal.

I find it so deliciously ironic that the Bronx politicians who are the biggest poverty pimps (particularly those quoted in the article) have an issue with a woman doing the exact same thing. Maybe they don't want competition? The Bronx has wealth, and it has epic poverty, so why can't people see both? Are we only allowed to show one part of the Bronx to the world? Pretending the food lines and vast poverty doesn't exist does not solve the problem, and if there are those who want to see and learn about the challenges and economic plight of a lot of NYers and the lives they lead..so what?

Here is the solution Ruben Diaz: Stop pimping poverty in the Bronx, actually do your job and start creating solutions and then there won't be such a tour. Until then, S.T.F.U.

And for the record, there is a tour van (2 of them) that come by my block just about every day between 10-11am...I believe they are called nyveatours or something like that. And the presumption is they are doing the same thing this woman is doing. I am thinking about wearing a jockstrap and watering my plants as they drive by...
The Bronx politicians might be a disgrace, but I have to agree with them having tourists come and
gawk at the less fortunate people waiting on long line for food as one of the attractions is pretty
disgusting.

You don't think is already humiliating and degrading enough for the poor people there waiting for their
food? Maybe now they can get on camera and be famous like zoo animals and being feel pity at around
the world. Hey... maybe some of the compassionate tourists can throw some foods at the poor people
waiting on line while taking pictures too. I don't think people wanted to be seen under those humiliating
circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City