Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
i have been to staten island only twice in my entire life, being a nyc native and still living in the city. once, many years ago i got lost driving in brooklyn and somehow ended up there. it was around sunset, and there were fields of children playing intramural soccer. it seemed a strange place, stuck in time. the people i'd pass had a strange look about them. reminded me of the 70's and a scene from the wanderers, the people reminded me of the ducky boys. i was checking my compass, and then looked back at the field and maybe 5 minutes had passed and the field had mysteriously emptied. i had a sudden shiver. it's like as soon as the sun sets, the people go hiding in their homes, lock their doors. i kept driving to see if i could find someone to help me, and there was no one. finally, i arrived on a main street, and stopped by a gas station/convenience store. the guy was friendly enough, and he asked me where i'm from. i said i'm trying to get back to manhattan. he drew me a map and i left. outside, next to the gas station was a diner. soon as i walked out, there was a small crowd of people staring at me, the children too, like an urban children of the corn. i jumped in my car and floored the gas.

Ok, I'll bite....

How did you get lost in Brooklyn and end up on Staten Island? I mean it is pretty obvious as you reach the VNB where you are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
it seemed a strange place, stuck in time. the children too, like an urban children of the corn

Bayonne strikes me the same.

Like Thomas Wolfe famously said: "You can't go home again."

Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Usually the borough people hate is the Bronx and Staten Island is met with apathy and indifference.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, I'll bite....

How did you get lost in Brooklyn and end up on Staten Island? I mean it is pretty obvious as you reach the VNB where you are going.
i was lost in brooklyn, i asked two hasidics how to get back to manhattan, and they pointed the wrong way. i was 19 at the time, and being that i grew up in manhattan and the bronx, i had no idea about anything brooklyn or staten island. yes, it started getting weird when i found that i was crossing a bridge. i kept driving because it seemed right at first with the skyline surrounding me, and trusting what the hasidics had told me. then when the skyline began to fade, i knew i was in trouble.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 AM

Staten Island is like any other rural, suburban place or small town. That is largely residential with bars, clubs, or entertainment scattered about.

To someone like me who grew up there much of New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, etc.. feels exactly the same. People tend to know each other from school, work or the neighborhood. That and or you get in your car or whatever else is smoking and go to where the action is happening.

This explains why so many kids learn to drive ASAP on Staten Island as similar areas; you need a way to get where things are happening. Yeah you can hang out on the corner, stoop, someone's rec room, pool or whatever. But you also want to bust a move and go to NJ, Brooklyn or the City.

This kid pretty much nails current state of affairs for kids or young adults on Staten Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKgaUHGWaTk

Problem with SI is many of the old school places from my day (or that of my parents, grandparents, etc...) are gone and or don't appeal to youth today. Bowling once was a big thing, but that is out now.

The other thing is back in my time you could drink at 18 so places like Demyans Hofbrau. Many of the diners are gone as well.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I'm looking into moving to Staten Island.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:06 PM

175 posts, read 421,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To someone like me who grew up there much of New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, etc.. feels exactly the same. People tend to know each other from school, work or the neighborhood. That and or you get in your car or whatever else is smoking and go to where the action is happening.
Yeah, I grew up in a mostly Italian part of Westchester and the one time I went to Staten Island it felt a lot like my hometown, both in terms of architecture/layout and the overall vibe.

One thing that surprised me though was the suddenness of the transition between suburban central SI and the rough parts of the north shore, specifically along Victory Boulevard. I was on the island for a job interview, and afterwards I was walking back towards the ferry trying to get a sense of what the different neighborhoods were like and where I would live if I got the job. In the space of just a couple blocks the feel of the area did a complete 180.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebler View Post
Yeah, I grew up in a mostly Italian part of Westchester and the one time I went to Staten Island it felt a lot like my hometown, both in terms of architecture/layout and the overall vibe.

One thing that surprised me though was the suddenness of the transition between suburban central SI and the rough parts of the north shore, specifically along Victory Boulevard. I was on the island for a job interview, and afterwards I was walking back towards the ferry trying to get a sense of what the different neighborhoods were like and where I would live if I got the job. In the space of just a couple blocks the feel of the area did a complete 180.
Victory Blvd going down to Bay Street (Tompkinsville) once was pretty decent, this is going back to late as the 1980's. It was sort of "seedy" but Drake Business School and other things kept it busy during the day, at night it was quiet and often deserted. This is all when the North Shore in particular Saint George/around Bay Street and Richmond Terrace was still a busy core of Staten Island commerce, industry and education.

Staten Island Hospital used to be at Cebra and Castleton Avenues, across the street was a HIP office. By the 1990's both had moved to either the South Shore (Staten Island Hospital) or mid-island (HIP) and that began the slow decline as other businesses closed or left the area.

One night when back home in the early 2000's drove from Victory Blvd down to Bay Street to get to the VNB by way of Rosebank. Yeah, once you pass Silver Lake by about Cebra Avenue things just start going down hill. Certainly after Jersey Street and on down to Bay. It simply is a hood and I wouldn't be caught dead down there day or night.

Large parts of the North Shore never were that run down. In particular West Brighton going west towards Port Richmond and beyond. It is just that lots of white flight took place (and or they died off), businesses closed and the rest as they say is history.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
The OP has never heard the saying different strokes for different folks. Staten Island is a bedroom community where most people commute to jobs in Manhattan or other parts of the tri state such as NJ. Most people there already met their mate and have families, and moved there for a house with a backyard for the kids. His parents moved there for presumably that very reason, and this guy is complaining about it now?? He wants to freeload off his parents then complain about social life and the job market. This guy should be thankful to have been raised in a safe environment with decent schools, now get a real job and get an apartment somewhere for young singles and move on with his life. His situation is no fault of SI, it's his own for not growing up at 27.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:03 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post
...I feel kind of cheated socially. It hurts when people don't want you around before you get to say hello.

This is how the shooting and chaos usually starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City