Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,241,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post
I'm 27 and still live at home on Staten Island. For whatever reason, I couldn't find a job somewhat related to my major in college. Top it off it took me 5yrs for my 4yr degree. lol. I went from one dead end job to job but left my last one because my manager was harassing me. (I said I was going to report him for using spoiled food.)

I look back and I think about my life living on Staten Island, and I hate every moment of it. It's weird, but I never fitted in. It's like the majority of the people I meet are straight out racist to me or want absolutely nothing to do with me. So many angry people. Each block is one empty block after another, it always creeps me out. You know how odd it is to walk around an entire neighborhood, and not see a soul? I tell people i think it's odd and they say it's peaceful?

I usually drive to Great Kills Park and walk my dog by the water. I think it's extremely odd to see people that refuse to get out of their car. I mean, people just look out to the water and not come out of the car to even stretch. I tried talking to someone who was sitting in their car reading the same book as me. (I wasn't reading it at the moment.) I think I ruined his day by trying to talk to him.

Most people do not understand what I'm trying to say. The people I meet at work from my last job were the most flakely people I've meet. Same with my last job. My last job was even weirder, suppositly some guy I never even saw in person from a different department wants to beat my ass?

Anyway, I made a few friends and they agree with me completely and told me they want to leave and never come back. But

It;s weird being the only "minority" in the neighborhood, I mean it's 2013 and I still have to deal with random strangers screaming **** at me.

I'm trying to meet people on Staten island, and I'm failing horrendeously. And dating? I dunno, I think people are still uncomfortable with interracial dating. This girl's mom said I should date more of my own kind. lol. No joke.

Where can I go to meet people on this isalnd? And no I'm not going to Eve Ultra Lounge. I had a very bad experience.
There's nothing wrong with you, or with Staten Island either for that matter, but the two of you are not a good fit apparently.

If you're feeling trapped, you have to find a way to leave SI, but that is going to take money which also means finding a job; that should be your first goal. Focus on that first. If you have to work 2 low wage jobs to save money, at least you won't have much time to feel lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM

19 posts, read 55,518 times
I left Tottenville HS in 2003. There were other Asians but I never knew them. I thought I was friends with two but we parted ways. Back then, I think their were 15 total in the HS. Less in the graduating class. From then to now, the asian population did increased. Not in my neighborhood.

Staten Island is not an extremely small town, but it has lots of similiar qualities. It FEELS like a small town Quiet to near deserted streets. It has a vibe that I'm uncomfortable with. Two people in the same situation can give completely different stories when asked about their experiences.

And nobody here ever hang out on the south shore and look around and go "we are the only people here."

Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,807,587 times
Quote:
I'm 27 and still live at home on Staten Island. For whatever reason, I couldn't find a job somewhat related to my major in college. Top it off it took me 5yrs for my 4yr degree. lol. I went from one dead end job to job but left my last one because my manager was harassing me. (I said I was going to report him for using spoiled food.)
This is a poor way to start this thread. SI has its faults but lack of career opportunities is definitely not one of them. If anything, SI is the best borough to live for mid-income college-educated workers looking to climb the career ladder and has very obvious advantages to offer.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 49,128 times
Quote:
I left Tottenville HS in 2003. There were other Asians but I never knew them. I thought I was friends with two but we parted ways. Back then, I think their were 15 total in the HS. Less in the graduating class. From then to now, the asian population did increased. Not in my neighborhood.

Staten Island is not an extremely small town, but it has lots of similiar qualities. It FEELS like a small town Quiet to near deserted streets. It has a vibe that I'm uncomfortable with. Two people in the same situation can give completely different stories when asked about their experiences.

And nobody here ever hang out on the south shore and look around and go "we are the only people here."
I find that very hard to believe. I graduated in 2000 and there had to be about 100 Asians in my class out of 800, maybe more. Fifteen total while you were there? That's almost impossible.

Yeah, the Island has a small town vibe. But if you don't like it, then leave. You seem to have a victim mentality about your situation here. If you're college educated, you can easily get a job in the city, Brooklyn or even NJ. Nothing is holding you back but you.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,980,451 times
And now you are one of us

Nine Inch Nails - The Wretched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMRokXH2rg

Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,609,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
This is a poor way to start this thread. SI has its faults but lack of career opportunities is definitely not one of them. If anything, SI is the best borough to live for mid-income college-educated workers looking to climb the career ladder and has very obvious advantages to offer.
If the guy is being discriminated against and has had bad experiences, what does all that matter?

Lots of places are great if you fit a certain profile. If you don't, not so much.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 9,710 times
Time to move out of the slums of shaolin. That should be your priority at all costs.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM

12 posts, read 29,363 times
it's better on the N. Shore for diversity., the south shore is very Italian American/Russian. The N. shore is going to be very popular for tourists in the next few years with the ferris wheel, and the water front opening up to stores and a marina. The south shore is very prejudice to people from the N. shore and minorities. But they will come to the N. shore when the marina opens,,,I am 57 and can't meet anyone on SI, and I am Italian American.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 AM

130 posts, read 277,110 times
Lol i am 27 from Brighton Beach Brooklyn & want an asian friend LOL....I've been to Tokyo & Thailand & wish I has asian friends. So cool, down to earth & not judgmental, at least the young ones.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,849,840 times
I just don't like Staten Island. It is neither urban nor suburban, not in the least cosmopolitan yet congested.
It is extremely poorly situated needing bridges and ferries for doing anything.
It's like a badly placed BAYONNE.

I would never consider living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City