Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianlivesmatter909 View Post
Agreed.

Too many Italian mobsters.

I have friends that live there.

I don't know how they do it.

Have said this before; not every Soprano wannabe you see on SI is Mafia. Large majority of them wouldn't know a made man if he pissed on them cause they were on fire.

Going back years now, since the film "The Godfather" and helped along by the fame of "The Sopranos", you've got tons of guys roaming around the Rock trying to walk the walk and talk the talk. Albanians, Russians, Puerto Ricans , etc... everyone who looks remotely European. The blacks talk the talk sometimes but obviously....

Can say this because lived on the same block with MM and went to school with their kids. I never asked but my Old Man schooled his kids early on so we knew the deal.

Am not saying there isn't Mafia on SI, but nothing like what you see walking around. What you do have is plenty of thugs and gangsters of all sorts. More so now that drugs have seemingly taken over much of the Island. Some of the same people pointing fingers are dealing out of their homes or cars. That and or their kids who live down in the basement are doing same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
The kid in post #55 is a HOOT.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredatwork View Post
Since you're Chinese, my suggestion is Shanghai or Beijing. I know acquaintances who hold American passports score really high when they go overthere. Since you're Chinese, you'll score much higher than the rest. My neighbor who is Vietnamese American met a very beautiful Chinese girl in a bar in Shanghai and they got married. Don't waste your time and effort trying to date American girls (white especially) as most are not interested in Asian men; you have to be realistic.

That's ridiculous. If the OP wanted a white, black, Latina, or Asian girl, he'd get one - regardless of what the majority of his demographic gets or doesn't get. It's all about his self confidence and the vibe he gives out while dating.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
i have been to staten island only twice in my entire life, tho i am a nyc native. once, many years ago i got lost driving in brooklyn and somehow ended up there. it was around sunset, and there were fields of children playing intramural soccer. it seemed a strange place, stuck in time. the people i'd pass had a strange look about them. reminded me of the 70's and a scene from the wanderers, the people reminded me of the ducky boys. i was checking my compass, and then looked back at the field and maybe 5 minutes had passed and the field had mysteriously emptied. i had a sudden shiver. it's like as soon as the sun sets, the people go hiding in their homes, lock their doors. i kept driving to see if i could find someone to help me, and there was no one. finally, i arrived on a main street, and stopped by a gas station/convenience store. the guy was friendly enough, and he asked me where i'm from. i said i'm trying to get back to manhattan. he drew me a map and i left. outside, next to the gas station was a diner. soon as i walked out, there was a small crowd of people staring at me, the children too, like an urban children of the corn. i jumped in my car and floored the gas.
This gave me a good laugh! Is this a joke post or a real-live-action experience?

Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
This gave me a good laugh! Is this a joke post or a real-live-action experience?

It's a joke; guy has been watching too many Twilight Zone reruns...

Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Love that place :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Bayonne strikes me the same.

Like Thomas Wolfe famously said: "You can't go home again."
Lol, it's funny seeing you mention it. Guess we're total opposites because Bayonne is not weird (nor sucks) to me. I love it! If it wasn't in such a weird place on the grid making it difficult to get Manhattan whether driving or using public transportation, I'd probably be living there today.

I've lived near Bayonne twice (was in the section of Jersey City which was a 5 minute drive from Bayonne city limit) and did my grocery shopping there and was always at the park on warm weather weekends. It has a quirky but good vibe which makes it different from the rest of NJ. If I ever live in NJ again (and God please please never again in this life), I'd prefer Bayonne to any other place in NJ just based on its' vibe. I liked Staten Island too but as OP stated when you do the math with how long it takes to get to Manhattan with: the bus to the ferry, the wait for the ferry to Manh (it you've just miss it you're screwed, that's happened to me several times when visiting SI), then the train in Manhattan to your destination (plus nine times out of ten you'll have to change trains to get where you're going), it's a 2 hour trek at minimum unless your final destination is Battery Park/Wall St. That's too daunting to want to do on a regular basis for me.

I wonder how did OP resolve his predicament? I hope he found a suitable place or at least a group of friends or SO in which he feels is a good fit.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:27 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
real. i still remember it clearly. was very similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyaYpGW1rsE

Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Staten Island is like any other rural, suburban place or small town. That is largely residential with bars, clubs, or entertainment scattered about.

To someone like me who grew up there much of New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, etc.. feels exactly the same. People tend to know each other from school, work or the neighborhood. That and or you get in your car or whatever else is smoking and go to where the action is happening.

This explains why so many kids learn to drive ASAP on Staten Island as similar areas; you need a way to get where things are happening. Yeah you can hang out on the corner, stoop, someone's rec room, pool or whatever. But you also want to bust a move and go to NJ, Brooklyn or the City.

This kid pretty much nails current state of affairs for kids or young adults on Staten Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKgaUHGWaTk

Problem with SI is many of the old school places from my day (or that of my parents, grandparents, etc...) are gone and or don't appeal to youth today. Bowling once was a big thing, but that is out now.

The other thing is back in my time you could drink at 18 so places like Demyans Hofbrau. Many of the diners are gone as well.
This is hilarious. This dude has it down.

The problem with Staten Island is that it's filled with white trash who happen to make tons of money.

Usually when we think of white trash/rednecks, they come off pretty humble and simple.
What you have in SI are trashy people who act snobby.

It's a weird combo.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I make a lot of money dealing with them, so I hope they stay that way!

Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 AM

17 posts, read 19,786 times
See also: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...re-staten.html - Hazellect hits it right on the head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City