Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times

Advertisements

Btw, let's say for all intents and purposes that these 593 shows that are currently being listed in the "Greater Bushwick" area which similar to Jamaica seems to include about 7 different neighborhoods are accurate... The interesting thing about that link is that if you take a closer look at where these art shows are located it just goes to confirm what I've been saying all along... The art/hipster movement that seem to go hand in hand with eachother are actually isolated to a very small section of the entire neighborhood of Bushwick... Zoom in on that map and count how many events do you see once you cross harman anywhere from Metropolitan to Broadway (about 20 avenues)... the estimated number of events of that area from harman all the way down to East NY/Brownsville is somewhere around 30-35 with most of those being before the Myrtle Wyckoff stop in isolated locations... The reality is that the other "560" spots that they mention are all from Harman to Flushing and heading into East Williamsburg... There's an insane amount of places near the industrial area of East Williamsburg/Bushwick/Ridgewood from about Cypress to Irving (two avenues- Cypress-Wyckoff and Wyckoff to Irving) from Flushing to DeKalb (7 blocks) and then once you near the other East Williamsburg/Bedstuy border near the JMZ lines by Lorimer/Myrtle and Broadway etc. the scene once again creeps in towards Bushwick ave near Flushing...

Other than that, besides a few isolated locations that have received a ton of press but in reality have little to no scene... the hipster movement is almost completely non-existant... For some reason, you and others continue to debate and use links that only further destroy your points... Others whom I've debated with on here do the same thing... They claim Bushwick is changing, Bushwick is changing and then verify that with 7 or 8 East Williamsburg links out of 10 to prove their point... The exaggerations on the internet of this area are of biblical proportions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
If you go there don't spend any money, you don't want to accidentally gentrify it. Best not to disturb the indigenous population
Best not to test the indigenous population either with passive aggressive comments like that one... FTR, I don't live in Bushwick nor have any personal involvement with that area... My issue is with the fabrication of something that just doesn't really exist the way people believe it does... And for the record, the whole issue with gentrification is exactly the problem you stated... People like you do not appreciate, frequent or invest in those local establishments because after all, every single neighborhood in this city needs to be a carbon copy of Williamsburg... The stale generic art spots, thai restaurants, wine bars, organic stores, etc. which so many of you claim is unique and cool is simply sterile and bland... As much as the position of the hipster was to stand out and be a loner, a weirdo, a rebel... it has become a pop culture phenomenon... There is nothing unique about this fad and hopefully once the hipsters such as yourself realize that, we can move on and these folks can actually work on being productive members of society as opposed to contributing in fields that contribute absolutely nothing in the real world...

Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
It may be a small part of Bushwick, but many (if not most) are still in Bushwick proper (CB 4). I had dinner last night right off of the Central ave M train stop and every single person in the place was a transplant.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It may be a small part of Bushwick, but many (if not most) are still in Bushwick proper (CB 4). I had dinner last night right off of the Central ave M train stop and every single person in the place was a transplant.
I'd say it's evenly split between East Williamsburg and Bushwick which is pretty hilarious to me given the fact it's called "Bushwick" studios... You have to understand that Bushwick ave continues past graham ave and grand st... Same situation goes for evergreen, central, Wilson and knickerbocker which all go into East Williamsburg... Also, that area you mentioned by Central and myrtle is exactly the area I mentioned which is borderline East Williamsburg/Bed-stuy/Bushwick... The next stop which is Myrtle Broadway you're already in East Williamsburg so how is the fact that this area has some transplants living there tell me anything that I didn't already know or explain?...

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Maybe we should refer to this hipster pocket as West Bushwick to disassociate it from the rest of Bushwick. So if they keep penetrating eastward, your bet would be that they will more likely stay north into the western portion of Ridgewood rather than deeper into Bushwick. Guess that's your concern?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Maybe we should refer to this hipster pocket as West Bushwick to disassociate it from the rest of Bushwick. So if they keep penetrating eastward, your bet would be that they will more likely stay north into the western portion of Ridgewood rather than deeper into Bushwick. Guess that's your concern?
What's your unnatural obsession with them? Are you one yourself? I think I mentioned this in a previous post but I'll ask again... Are you truly the first pioneer hipster in middle class Glendale? You asked me if I was concerned about my blue collar working class area that has no legitimate concerns with crime being turned into a hipster haven? My answer is yes... Do I think there will be spillover? Yes... Do I think it will ever be significant enough where the area completely loses its character? I truly hope not... Honestly, I really don't understand this fascination with this group of people... To me, there is very little that is redeeming about the majority of this group... They set foot into these areas with the notion that it needs to be changed regardless of the situation... Did Greenpoint need gentrification? Did Astoria need gentrification? Originally, did areas like Fort Greene need gentrification? No... But some ignorant hipster saw working class Black, White and Spanish folk living amongst eachother and made the assumption that this diverse area needs to be different and then set out to conquer each individual neighborhood little by little...

Currently, they have succeeded in destroying a number of different historical neighborhood cultures... Chinatown comes to mind, LES, Greenpoint, Astoria is in the midst of this process, Williamsburg Northside which crime rates even in the 90s can tell you wasn't as bad as the Southside, etc. Eventually though, if our new Mayor continues where Bloomberg left off... The NYC that we all came to know and love as being primarily a place where immigrants of all races can come and make an honest living and live that American Dream and choose to either put down roots or move to other places across the country will only be a distant and proud memory for the few remaining natives that will be left in this city...

Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
To be fair..so long as there are housing projects and section 8 style programs, the "natives" aren't going anywhere, ever.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
To be fair..so long as there are housing projects and section 8 style programs, the "natives" aren't going anywhere, ever.
I could care less about those natives... In fact we should ship most of those natives in the housing projects to the Middle East and have them experience real thug life...

I'm talking about this city losing it's working middle class natives who made the city what it was... We're losing it as the days continue because it's these folks that are either getting priced out or moving down south because they can't stand what has become of their once blue collar working class neighborhoods... Those are the people we need to hold onto not the garbage that's been living basically rent free doing absolutely nothing productive for generations... But unfortunately, that is what this city is slowly becoming... A city for either the incredibly wealthy or the ghetto poor...

Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I agree...that is what is happening..it is the wealthy, and then everyone else lumped together with the destitute.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
The only train that passes through 'East Williamsburg' is the L on Morgan. Myrtle-Broadway is on the Bushwick/Bed Stuy border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City