Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times

Advertisements

I am making good money but single, about to turn 32, and concerned about whether I will ever achieve long-term stability. I make 72K per year after taxes right now, no previous marriages or kids. My career is going well, I just secured several new contracts and will be in Paris and Tokyo next year. But my apartment is small and I go home to it alone, feeling a void. My family is halfway across the country. I don't mean to sound dramatic but what do you do when you are in this situation? I just can't seem to find a decent guy, they all cheat and lie and treat me like garbage. And now that I'll spend a few months on the other side of the planet, it truly feels hopeless. I should be happy. Where are the decent guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Well, there's many options. You could move across the country to where your family is, if that will make you happier.

If you want to stay here, while you look for a husband, do more things socially. Organizations, events, clubs, bars. Too many people move to NYC just to work mad hours and then go home and do nothing. But what's the point of moving here if you can't participate in things socially? The right kind of socialization could take your income to the next level big time.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Thank you. I socialize in my own career circles but maybe it is time to expand outside of them. A good piece of insight.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
You should live where you will be happy. 72k per year, if you live in New York, I guess is ok but depends on demographics. 50k a year in a southern state for example is probably better then the 72k in NY. As far as marriage, and kids and such you would want to live where you and you're family could maintain a good quality of life, kids are in a safe area, and there are family things to do. I was born in New York and now live in the south and really don't miss up there at all. Tired of all the fake, drama, and expense. The world is a big place and there is lots of opportunities out there, I would go explore a little.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM

I just don't know where to begin though. I can't do 'speed dating' and cringe at the thought of singles' events. I am very outgoing professionally but in my private life quite the opposite. I am scared at the thought of being 40, alone and childless. It seems to be okay for men but for me it is terrifying.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Well you maybe a career woman who is not ready for a family commitment at this time. NY is all about flash and social circles, the young professional crowd go to places like NY and such because of the opportunities places like that present. My parents moved me out of NY when I was 14 so I haven't lived there in many years. I live in a small country town in Virginia now and I like it. Washington DC is enough city for me, that place is turning into a miniature version of NYC.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 PM

It is very difficult, I don't think most people realize. I am now backstage at Gucci as an assistant. These things are only a dream back home. I am beautiful, why can't one of these city men marry me? I know why, because I am too old and they can have much thinner, younger versions. Or Ivy educated women. I am neither. My last boyfriend left me with nothing, went on to the next younger one. He ages and grows more attractive. Me, left to rot.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 PM

I would say if you are warm, down to earth, and don't confuse you're professional life with you're personal one you most likely will meet the right guy to start a family with. I'm not sure what field you are in but I know there has been many stories of women who once they start a family leave the work force behind. If you have a big corporate job there is no saying how long a position will last in this day and age. A husband and children can last a lifetime, jobs today can be gone with a blink of an eye. I left a big corporation to go work for a smaller family owned business and I have been real happy thus far. June 16th I will be married 20 years, my wife went to college but I was military and went to a tech school. I like working with my hands and such. It is nice to come home to you're own family, make a meal, have family movie nights and those sorts of things.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I would say if you are warm, down to earth, and don't confuse you're professional life with you're personal one you most likely will meet the right guy to start a family with. I'm not sure what field you are in but I know there has been many stories of women who once they start a family leave the work force behind. If you have a big corporate job there is no saying how long a position will last in this day and age. A husband and children can last a lifetime, jobs today can be gone with a blink of an eye. I left a big corporation to go work for a smaller family owned business and I have been real happy thus far. June 16th I will be married 20 years, my wife went to college but I was military and went to a tech school. I like working with my hands and such. It is nice to come home to you're own family, make a meal, have family movie nights and those sorts of things.
I can only wish for such things. I work in the fashion industry.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 PM

Well it seems you're first mistake is relying on a man. Most of NYC is fake into themselves superficial types. I think the biggest mistake people make is romanticizing NYC and the lifestyle there that maybe only 3% actually get to lead. NYC is just another place and it is also very cut throat and highly competitive. What you are seeking is stability, a husband, children, and if I'm not mistaken, a nice peaceful life. Those are good to inspire to, and in NYC you won't find any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City