Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The snobbery is nauseating. Give me a damn break. While parts of Riverdale are affluent, you don't have to be overly affluent to live there. You can still get a 1/1 co-op in the Fieldston area for less than 200k. Riverdale is a nice Bronx neighborhood, end of story. Just like people like to present crime and poverty as facts for the "rest of the Bronx", the fact is that Riverdale is a section of the Bronx. When many people post about Riverdale, the word "Bronx" is almost always included. Sure, it has lots of picturesque water views and green space, but last I checked, there are many neighborhoods on the water in the Bronx. There are many neighborhoods that border parks. People need to obviously get around. My mother's townhome has a panoramic view of the NYC skyline and the Whitestone bridge, plus it's gated and has an amenity center and promenade. It's not Riverdale. Many of the homes are not owned by White people and the neighborhood (after 15 years) hasn't gone to crap. You know, many of us non-Whites do get up every day, go to work and make money, right? We don't have a right to buy homes?
If you're talking about Throggs Neck, then apparently some people think it already went to crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
If you're talking about Throggs Neck, then apparently some people think it already went to crap.
Nope, not Throggs Neck.
Though I never knew a neighborhood where homes are still easily 300-600k are crap.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Nope, not Throggs Neck.
Though I never knew a neighborhood where homes are still easily 300-600k are crap.
Well those aren't my words. Those are the words of a former Throggs Neck resident. Says the neighborhood is changing and not for the better.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Well those aren't my words. Those are the words of a former Throggs Neck resident. Says the neighborhood is changing and not for the better.
Heh. For some people, as soon as they see a face that's a shade of brown, a place is "changing" and "not for the better". Those comments have always made me laugh a bit. Never mind that there are many minorities who work hard, have good jobs, good, well paying jobs, and desire the same things. Considering this is a majority-minority city, not all of the minorities are living in PJs and they shouldn't be relegated to less than ideal neighborhoods if they have the buying power.

I know for me personally, I made sure that I got the specialized training and worked my tail off, so that I could make good money and live wherever I could afford.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Riverdale should have it's fair share of whatever - including social services housing.
They do already. They have a high number of nursing/ assisted living facilities. There are also a couple places on Broadway. I say this to all the lib's though. The Bronx more than any other Boro needs every single taxpayer. Let's not be so quick to alienate them and look down upon someone who's successful. Who eat's out at Bronx eateries? Who takes cabs? Who goes for a drink at the local watering hole? I understand the culture of America is changing. If you do well your a piece of crap. I worked in a large bar in the City. Guess what? If we didn't have successful people coming in to drink people were getting laid off. Middle class guys/ working class immigrants would be laid off.
Riverdale ultimately will last longer than my old hood because of the high number of coops. That's a good thing. This will preserve buildings and keep them from turning into slums.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Heh. For some people, as soon as they see a face that's a shade of brown, a place is "changing" and "not for the better". Those comments have always made me laugh a bit. Never mind that there are many minorities who work hard, have good jobs, good, well paying jobs, and desire the same things. Considering this is a majority-minority city, not all of the minorities are living in PJs and they shouldn't be relegated to less than ideal neighborhoods if they have the buying power.

I know for me personally, I made sure that I got the specialized training and worked my tail off, so that I could make good money and live wherever I could afford.
The neck has changed not for the good. I lived in the Neck a short time. There is a misconception that because an area is all private homes that everyone owns them. Huge number of section live in those 3/4 family homes all over the Neck. Guess what? Rumor has it that a certain mobster based out of the Neck helped build these homes along with a tax preparer. When the market went south they turned them into section 8 housing. That's a bitter pill to swallow when your a lifelong homeowner to see your block turned to crap. Unless you live there and you see your biggest investment going south you have no idea.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:25 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
They do already. They have a high number of nursing/ assisted living facilities. There are also a couple places on Broadway. I say this to all the lib's though. The Bronx more than any other Boro needs every single taxpayer. Let's not be so quick to alienate them and look down upon someone who's successful. Who eat's out at Bronx eateries? Who takes cabs? Who goes for a drink at the local watering hole? I understand the culture of America is changing. If you do well your a piece of crap. I worked in a large bar in the City. Guess what? If we didn't have successful people coming in to drink people were getting laid off. Middle class guys/ working class immigrants would be laid off.
Riverdale ultimately will last longer than my old hood because of the high number of coops. That's a good thing. This will preserve buildings and keep them from turning into slums.
My point is that there should be even distribution of all unwanted development - generally people don't mind assisted living facilities (we have quite a few here too). Housing for formerly homeless/addicted populations tend to be concentrated in other neighborhoods. People aren't leaving NYC in droves - in fact it's becoming more and more desirable. I think the danger of concentrating poverty in certain areas is greater than the risk of driving out the affluent at this time.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
My point is that there should be even distribution of all unwanted development - generally people don't mind assisted living facilities (we have quite a few here too). Housing for formerly homeless/addicted populations tend to be concentrated in other neighborhoods. People aren't leaving NYC in droves - in fact it's becoming more and more desirable. I think the danger of concentrating poverty in certain areas is greater than the risk of driving out the affluent at this time.
In the Bronx? Let me ask you this. Let's pick a homeless shelter. Where should that be built? Middle of Pallisade Ave facing the river? Social engineering is what destroyed Far Rockaway. Where else but NYC take acres of beach front property and put Nycha housing? The Bronx has a very limited amount of taxpayers to begin with compared to the 4 other boros. They also have the highest unemployment rate. Even though this boro supported this current potus in record numbers. Why alienate good areas? Wouldnt you want to attract more taxpayers and small business into the Bronx?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-26-2013 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: No need to bring race into this discussion

Old 05-25-2013, 07:49 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
In the Bronx? Let me ask you this. Let's pick a homeless shelter. Where should that be built? Middle of Pallisade Ave facing the river? Social engineering is what destroyed Far Rockaway. Where else but NYC take acres of beach front property and put Nycha housing? The Bronx has a very limited amount of taxpayers to begin with compared to the 4 other boros. They also have the highest unemployment rate. Even though this boro supported this current potus in record numbers. Why alienate good areas? Wouldnt you want to attract more taxpayers and small business into the Bronx?
Spread this stuff around fairly and all neighborhoods have the opportunity to have a good quality of life. On what criteria and who would decide what is a "good area"? If you were deciding, no predominately minority area would be considered "good" I think, no matter what the income.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-26-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Spread this stuff around fairly and all neighborhoods have the opportunity to have a good quality of life. On what criteria and who would decide what is a "good area"? If you were deciding, no predominately minority area would be considered "good" I think, no matter what the income.
What is fair about sticking affluent neighborhoods with low income housing and making the neighborhood a dump? The Bronx has enough low income housing and that's why so many neighborhoods are complete DUMPS. Anytime a neighborhood is majority White that's a problem and anytime a neighborhood starts to "gentrify" that's no good either because every neighborhood has to be "diverse". God forbid there's a White neighborhood like that but African-American and Hispanic neighborhoods that are heavily one or both are just fine... Hypocrisy I suspect....

Let's face it... People of the same background (whatever that may be) like to stick together and I don't see anything wrong with that. If the neighborhood is majority Black then fine. Some neighborhoods are mixed and if they are that's fine too and it should be NATURALLY, not forced down people's throats.

You can call it racist if you'd like but not all cultures are the same and as a result thoughts about what is "acceptable" and quality of life issues can vary from culture to culture. Blasting music at 2am in the morning is the norm in some cultures. It's not in others and there's nothing wrong with that. What irritates me is that somehow people keep trying to pretend as if we're all the same. We all have our ways and how we do things.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-26-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City