Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

do you think that apartment bldg supers who are home during the day should agree to accept tenant packages when they(tenants) are not home during the day? do you feel it's a gray area or clearly it's not their job? any experiences with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Not their job.They shouldn't have to be responsible.Imagine how messy that would get in a larger building with limited staff.It could suck up a lot of a super's time that should be spent dealing with building issues.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
It all comes down to lease language but in general it's clearly a doorman's responsibility to sign for packages and for supers it should be considered a special favor that they are under no obligation to do - not their job

Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It all comes down to lease language but in general it's clearly a doorman's responsibility to sign for packages and for supers it should be considered a special favor that they are under no obligation to do - not their job
In some buildings even the doormen don't take responsibility for deliveries.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM

i asked because my super agreed to sign for a few packages over the past few years but i got the impression that they might be backing out this time. im not sure tho cause it was hard for me to understand what they were saying when they left a message. our bldg has 50 units.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM

ok well even if they no longer want to do it, am i such a bad guy for asking? i don't mean that in a facetious way, i just feel like they may think i have a sense of entitlement or something. i always tip them for taking the AC in and out of the window and for other things they do that aren't their job and we get along well and are cordial

Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
It's not their job. There may also be a liability aspect they are trying to avoid (being blamed for missing items).

If your building has 50 units, there must be quite a bit of traffic in and out so that delivery people can get in and out without your having to be home. If you are just talking about UPS, why can't they just leave the package outside your apartment door? I get many UPS deliveries and 90% of the time, UPS manages to get in the building when I'm not home and leaves the package by my door. Only in rare cases am I asked to sign for something.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's not their job. There may also be a liability aspect they are trying to avoid (being blamed for missing items).

If your building has 50 units, there must be quite a bit of traffic in and out so that delivery people can get in and out without your having to be home. If you are just talking about UPS, why can't they just leave the package outside your apartment door? I get many UPS deliveries and 90% of the time, UPS manages to get in the building when I'm not home and leaves the package by my door. Only in rare cases am I asked to sign for something.
UPS quite often can't get into the building. Sometimes, you can call UPS and they are willing to come back a second time later in the day if you are home then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Not every apt. building in NYC has a doorman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not their job.They shouldn't have to be responsible.Imagine how messy that would get in a larger building with limited staff.It could suck up a lot of a super's time that should be spent dealing with building issues.
I agree that it is not the super's job. If a super wants to do you a favor you could ask him but I don't think one should so in a large building with many apts. and a limited staff.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I think if they're okay with it, they should, especially if it might lead to better tips once the holidays roll around. I know my super has signed for stuff and handed it over to me once or twice without me even asking. I've come across a number of buildings in my neighborhood where the super signs for packages. It seems like the porters do most of the work around here so he could do something.

But I don't think they should be under any obligation to do so. Also, if I was a super, I might be more or less likely to do it depending on the type of people in my building.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 AM

i found another way you can go to UPS My Choice - Home Delivery on Your Schedule and you can tell ups to deliver it say to a UPS store or some other options. but the way i always understood it is that they gave you 3 delivery choices(with the option to change the address) and then if they can't reach you they take the package to a local center where they hold it for you. id rather avoid that because its right by the tollbooth at the Whitestone bridge so that means traffic around there is murder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City