U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM

29,359 posts, read 30,091,319 times

Advertisements

In some buildings the water is completely supplied and paid for by the landlord. So they don't want you running up their water bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM

48 posts, read 92,428 times
It is the flooding.

I own a co-op, and the owners are allowed to have a washer. I have the portable washer.

Last Christmas, before I was going out, I put thru a wash, I was multi-tasking and forgot to put the hose into the sink, see where I am going with this...

I was sitting on my living room floor wrapping the last of the presents, when all of a sudden the water was coming out of my kitchen into the foyer into the living room. Yikes !!!! I forgot to put the hose in the sink, and to make matters worse it was a white wash with bleech....so I couldn't use my colored bath towels to sop the water up. I had to use drop cloths that I use for painting, quick thinking....

I put the hose back in the sink and started to sop the water up and mop the floor, really fast.
Luckily no water went to the people below me, since I have had all new floors laid when I moved in, so it is wood floors over plywood....

But this is the EXACT reason why LL's do not want tenants, (and I am gulity), to have washers. They aren't being mean. It is because of these accidents that can really do a lot of damage...ok, I was in the next room, I was able to catch it in time, but say I was in the shower, I woulsnt have been able to catch it and that would not have been so good.

I know the older renters from back in the day have washers though, not so much the new ones.

No one has a dryer though.
We have a giant 4 story iron ladder (clothesline tower) in the far corner of the courtyard with all the clotheslines coming from our windows attatched to it. So my clothesline goes from my kitchen window to the top of the ladder......and that wasn't fun climbing....

but now as soon as I wheel the washer over to the sink, I put the hose in the sink, I NEVER want that to happen again.

Last edited by nastyboy; 03-30-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM

4,969 posts, read 4,699,288 times
How come a lot of the new high rises now offer them in the apartment?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM

37 posts, read 52,285 times
and most people who live in those apartments still have them. I have a baby and I couldn't survive without a washing machine...

Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM

48 posts, read 92,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
How come a lot of the new high rises now offer them in the apartment?

most new high rises have concrete floors, thus prevents leaking from floor to floor, and they have the ample electric supply, the correct plumbings for drainiages and all that stuff I am not a plumbing expert)....and also, lets not forget, if you are paying 800K and up for an apartment, it better have a washer and dryer.....

or if you are renting and your rent is anything over 2K, damn right it better have them...

Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM

19,032 posts, read 25,264,311 times
Quote:
also, lets not forget, if you are paying 800K and up for an apartment, it better have a washer and dryer.....
Not in this City.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,239,102 times
As a landlord it is almost entirely because of the floods that do happen. And having a flood not only damages your apt, but the apt below, and it becomes the LL's expensive problem. It just isn't worth the risk, so I don't allow them either.

You can do just fine without a washing machine in the apt, as there are tons of laundromats within walking distance of most places. It is just more inconvenient to take it there, but it is also a plus since you can just drop it off and have them do it all for you...saving alot of time.

If I had a larger apt building (10 units for example), I would have coin operated machines in the basement though.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM

15,095 posts, read 23,019,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As a landlord it is almost entirely because of the floods that do happen. And having a flood not only damages your apt, but the apt below, and it becomes the LL's expensive problem. It just isn't worth the risk, so I don't allow them either.

You can do just fine without a washing machine in the apt, as there are tons of laundromats within walking distance of most places. It is just more inconvenient to take it there, but it is also a plus since you can just drop it off and have them do it all for you...saving alot of time.

If I had a larger apt building (10 units for example), I would have coin operated machines in the basement though.

This I will agree with, because even though "nastyboy" and me **wink, wink** have portable washers, sometimes it is easier to just go around the corner to the laundromat and use one big washer instead of doing 4 small loads at home.....

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,250,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not in this City.
its the new luxury status symbol for nyc in the past decade. i know a few people who have them in their new manhattan condos.

even in new house developments, these things are usually on the ground floor & even the 2nd floor of houses now.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,113,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Interesting. Why would you go thru the expense to install, maintain and insure, a laundry facility?

Do you think the revenue from the machines will cover the costs?

Do you realize that your facility w/h to compete with the "many" other neighborhood facilities, and provide equal facility at cheaper cost and/or certainly greater convenince. This w/b especially so in an area of lower incomes.

If the outside facility is cheaper and/or more convenient (as nightcrawler hints), then your tenants will forego your machines. For example, my GF finds it more convenient to use the 24 hr facility nearby, than the building's facility (which she found unsatisfactory, to our chagrin). I personally found it irritating (and defeated one purpose of moving to this building), as she used to spend more time doing laundry. Also, the machines were older and did a poor job.

Recently, upon complaint, the facilities were outfitted with new machines, and GF finds it a good bit more inviting!

We will be moving in a year or so, and have already decided that if into an apt, rental or condo, "in apt" w/d is imperative! As well as control of heat and h/w.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City