U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 03:53 PM

2,392 posts, read 1,724,754 times

Advertisements

Most wood-framed buildings - of the tenement types that are combustible, do not permit washers and dryers because of the electricity and wiring/fire hazards, and also because water/flooding causes old wood to decay faster. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,479,119 times
Not to mention that it quickly add up on the water bill.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 PM

17,751 posts, read 11,283,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Most wood-framed buildings - of the tenement types that are combustible, do not permit washers and dryers because of the electricity and wiring/fire hazards, and also because water/flooding causes old wood to decay faster. End of story.

Not I don't believe it is the "end of story"....

You do know there are scores if not hundreds of one, two, three and four family homes with wood framed construction that allow/have washing machines and dryers. A standard American top or front loading washing machine without a heater uses no more electicity than any other small appliance. Those with heaters consume no more than a blow dryer. So where is the wiring hazard?

As for combustion you are also aware that nearly all said "tenement" buildings use gas for cooking. Far more harm and accidents have come from burners, stoves, ranges and ovens (including that fire several weeks ago now in Bronx), than from any "washing machine or dryer fire hazzard".

The only issue with wiring and washers or dyers comes when wanting to install a 208v-240v/60hz appliances in those old buildings. That may and usually does require an upgrade in apartment and maybe even building electircal system because the current cannot provide.

As has been stated previously in this thread, main reasons against washing machines was the old plumbing and sewers of old buildings.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM

50 posts, read 38,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Not to mention that it quickly add up on the water bill.
I have a 3fam rental in queens, 3BR/2BR - 6ppl, 3/2 - 6ppl, 3/3 - 8ppl.
no W/Ds, no sprinklers in the house. I pay on average $1800-2000 quarterly for water/sewer. (so rounded to $7600 yearly)
Pretty pricey IMO already.

When I was in a condo (8 years ago, Flushing queens), I was on the board of managers as the treasurer so I was knowledgeable with all the finances. Complex was 420 units, 13 floors each. 16 apts per floor. They had a laundry room on each floor with 2W/2D (bottom line, single load crap). We had a contact that paid us like $70k per year, we paid utilities, they collected all the revenue from the machines and handled maintenance. Wasn't the greatest but at least there was convenience of not leaving the floor.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 AM

1,528 posts, read 893,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondflava View Post
Ok, so I come from Europe. It is normal that everybody has a washer (sometimes a dryer too) in their own rented apartment. The landlord doesn't supply them but I never heard of 'No Washer/Dryer Allowed'. Until I came to NY. Why is that? As long as the tenant pays for the electricity? I live in a rented place in a 3-family house. There is a yard that gets watered every single day May-October. There are at times 5-6 people living above us. My husband and I WITH a washing machine wouldn't use that much water as them all combined in a month. Or isn't it about water? --- clueless...
Washers are prone to leak causing massive damage.

Also, some older plumbing cannot handle the outflow.

Some landlords require the tenant to have liability insurance for a washer. Many do not allow one.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 464 times
This has been very helpful.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:50 AM

17,751 posts, read 11,283,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Washers are prone to leak causing massive damage.

Also, some older plumbing cannot handle the outflow.

Some landlords require the tenant to have liability insurance for a washer. Many do not allow one.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Washing machines (and dishwashers for that matter) are not "prone to leak", where did you get that stuff from?

Properly installed, maintained and operated such appliances are no more prone to leaking water in home than commercial or other settings.

What can and generally does happen causing leakage of water and or flooding comes down to user error or something else such as sink or drain pipe being blocked or backed up.

Yes, solenoids do fail, hoses burst and so forth, but those are outlying events, not every day occurrences.

Primary reason why many NYC apartment buildings ban washing machines in apartments comes down to what it always does; the age of housing stock. There are many people living in buildings that are >60 or even >100 years old and the piping was not designed to nor can handle discharge from numerous washing machines and or even dishwashers.

The other main reason is of course who is going to pay for the water.

Unlike private residences renters and even owners of condos or co-ops are not metered (and pay) for their water use. In a market rate building and or co-op/condo there are ways of apportioning water rates; however a vast percentage of rental housing in NYC falls under RC/RS or some other sort of government control. Those landlords are forbidden by statue from metering units for water usage, so there you are.

Being as all this may "older" apartment buildings including white glove co-ops or condos have learned people *want* if not demand not just a dishwasher but washing machine and dryer in unit. Nearly all new market rate construction including many of those "affordable/low income" buildings have in unit washing machines and dryers. That and or things are located on each floor or something.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM

19,793 posts, read 26,055,522 times
If OP ever had a flood in the apartment above him, he would not be asking this question.

Water can be as damaging as fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City