U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2007, 03:12 AM

17 posts, read 83,481 times
Default What's up with the 'No Washing Machine' policy?

Ok, so I come from Europe. It is normal that everybody has a washer (sometimes a dryer too) in their own rented apartment. The landlord doesn't supply them but I never heard of 'No Washer/Dryer Allowed'. Until I came to NY. Why is that? As long as the tenant pays for the electricity? I live in a rented place in a 3-family house. There is a yard that gets watered every single day May-October. There are at times 5-6 people living above us. My husband and I WITH a washing machine wouldn't use that much water as them all combined in a month. Or isn't it about water? --- clueless...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:32 AM

11,422 posts, read 15,133,454 times
usually rental leases forbid installation of a washer/dryer in the apt without the permission of the landlord. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it. My theory is that if they flood it causes water damage and all the resulting complications it can cause from an appliance that isn't the property of the landlord's. it may also be viewed as an unnecessary item to have in an apt by the landlord

Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,715,061 times
Yeah its usually because the landlord is afraid that it will result in the flooding of the apartment. Often most older housea and apartment don't have the proper hookups for a washing machine so you have to create a special connection coming out of the sink similar as you would with a dish washer. If this connection is damaged or falls off it can result in the apartment being flooded and this can cost the landlord a lot of $$$ to fix. This is generally why they prohibit washing machines.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM

10,141 posts, read 18,004,202 times
it also has to deal with especially in pre-war apts the electrical system is antiquated, and running something like a washing machine or dryer could cause brownouts in the bldg.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
It's the flooding problem most of all. I'm in one of the few Manhattan co-ops that still allows washing machines and dryers and it's a wonderful thing to have it in my apartment. But many landlords, co-op board and condos don't permit them because of the flooding.

Remember, when you're in a co-op and there's a flood with damage to your downstairs neighbors' property, YOU pay for the repairs to their homes (well, your insurance does, but then your rates go through the roof).

Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 83,481 times
Yeah, can you imagine how wonderful it would be if you could just throw a few things into your washer a few nights a week, and go to the other room watch your game/movie/ etc? Instead of waiting for the weekend, taking that huge laundry bag in your cart (if you don't happen to have a car, but then, you don't have to look for a parking spot), and trying to beat the crowds at the laundromat - snatching the right size washing machine, and a spot to fold everything???

Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 46,861 times
Besides flooding being an issue the washing machines put a strain on the water supply within the building. I lived in a building that consisted of 17 floors and the water supply/pressure to the apartments on the higher floors was not as strong as the lower floors. As a result we were not allowed to have washers, dryers or dishwashers.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM

435 posts, read 1,057,804 times
dont forget the amount of shaking that the machine does, some landlords hate that too.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,618 times
I heard that landlords of 6 units and above they are required to have washing machines in the basement. Is it true?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:01 PM

2,901 posts, read 4,503,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrafailidis View Post
I heard that landlords of 6 units and above they are required to have washing machines in the basement. Is it true?
No, there is no requirement of any kind.

Some buildings do have laundry rooms in the basement. Some modern and/or renovated buildings have one or two on each floor.

The circumstance varies, but a HUGE portion of apartments have no laundry facilities whatsoever. Generally, the more the rent the likelihood of your building having laundry facilities.

Floods, leaks, electrical issues, and noise, are all issues why washer/dryers are not allowed. The older and cheaper the rent the less the likelihood.

Water is an additional issue, for most of NYC's modern history, water was free! So, building owners had little regard for the cost. About a decade or so ago, water charges became citywide, and the cost became an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City